Exhaust Choices

Discussion in '610/630' started by Guoseph, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    My TE has this setup plus the JD tuner, which provided another significant increase in power, I would say similar to fitting the Arrows+ECU.

Fuel usage has varied quite a bit in the 8 months I have owned it. Running it in (no power up kit, standard pipes, light throttle) I got close to 200kms out of the 10 litres before low fuel light. After run in period with Arrows & ECU I would get around 165-180, but after fitting the JD one ride was around the 145km mark, although I was riding it particularly hard that day (offroad session followed by lots of WOT on winding and undulating bitumen at 120-150kmh). With normal usage (mix of tar/dirt road, fire trail & single track) I have seen 180kms a few times lately out of the 10 litres, which seems pretty good to me. Clearly the mood of the rider and type of riding are two main variables affecting economy.
  2. 630mick Husqvarna
    A Class

I thought running out of fuel was a PU right of passage!:D
    jtemple likes this.
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I'm getting about 38 or so MPG (6.2 L/100km) with a power-up kit, JD Tuner (not tweaked from their OEM settings, yet) and Leo Ti full system.

Once I open up my airbox and play with the tuner some more, I expect that to go down even more.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I get about 100-110 miles before the fuel light comes on, but I'm not usually too easy on the throttle...
    I have yet to find out how far it will go after the light comes on, but it usually makes ration the throttle a bit more than usual...
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I put 132 miles on my a couple of weeks ago, combined gravel and pavement, and put in 3.3 gallons. The tank is only 3.17 so I was on fumes. Warning light came on at 110 and 111 miles, first with hard throttle, second with easy throttle. It didn't make a lot of difference. The 6.6 Safari is therefore good for well over 200 miles.
    630mick likes this.
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    How did you get 3.3 gallons into a 3.17 gallon tank without running out of fuel?
  7. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    We're in Texas ya'll. Everything is bigger here, even gas pump error. hahaha

_
    jtemple likes this.
  8. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    Mine's the same, all stock with P/U. Mixed highway at 70 mph and city. Usually get to a gas station within 5 miles of the light, and put in around 2.5 - 2.6 gallons. So if I have the "extra capacity" 3.3 gallon tank like Ken, I should have 0.7 to 0.8 left :thumbsup:
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    All I can do is report what the gas pump reported! I did top off to the max though, and that's what probably made the difference. I had spare gas along and just decided to run it until I got to the next gas station, or not! I made it. Maybe Husky tanks are just bigger in Texas!
  10. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Another option is converting to single exhaust and using the existing left muffler after it is converted to flow though. Once the steel muffler and cat is removed the can is extremely light. Add a baffle and glass pack and it should be as quiet and free flowing as the aftermarket jobs. Just finished mine and it is a 13 lb saving over stock. $20 for 1 3/4" exhaust pipe bent to spec. and $20+ shipping for 2"x 18" perforated SS tubing. Have to wait for spring before trying but at least one other person has done this and was pleased with the results!
  11. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    Interesting, is there a how to? $20 for a mid-pipe replacement? Or are you assuming the reuse of some stock parts? What's the SS tubing for? What's the cost of the packing materials and baffle?
  12. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    There are several good articles on how to gut the mufflers and convert them to flow through here http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-take-on-converting-630-cans-to-flow-throughs.19706/ Mine is the same as CJBROWNS. The SS perforated tubing is used for the baffle and can be sourced from the above article. I had some packing kicking around but it can be bought at the same place as the baffle for $15 to $20.
    For the mid pipe I brought the existing mid pipe and left muffler to a muffler shop and told them I planned to cut the pipe 4" back from the O2 sensor and wanted a pipe bent to match the curve from there to the muffler fitting. They used 1 3/4 plated exhaust pipe but SS would be better but was unavailable. Took the guy about 10 mins. to size it up, cut and bend the pipe. $20. Brought it home and cut the mid pipe 4" back and test fitted the exhaust. The new mid pipe fits snug inside the old pipe and can be held with the clamp from right muffler or can be welded as I did. Ended up being much easier than expected!
  13. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Does anyone with a LV full system have some calipers to get some comparison numbers?

The stock Husky 630 headers measure 35mm od. The FMF Powercore 4 mid pipe is 57mm od, and it's outlet with s/a installed is 37mm id.
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Leo Ti Single:

Header: 35.2mm

Mid (just aft of the 2-1 Y): 43.97mm

Can opening:
    dB killer/spark arrester: 25.35mm
    spark arrester: 34.21mm
    no insert: 35.95mm
  15. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
  16. Reflexrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Late to this post, but George at Uptite built me a super quiet pipe per my request.
    Kinda nice to ask for a one off and not get a story why it can't be done.
    He just does what the customer ask; what a novel concept.
  17. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

have a photo of the finished product?
  18. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    You simply had better timing than most. Others have been waiting for over a year for this "per request" pipe to become available. I know of at least two people that got tired of the delays/wait and went with an FMF instead.

Would like to see a photo also. If I ever destroy my FMF it might be considered if price is right.

_
  19. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

You must be very special. I've 'ordered' things from him in the past and never received a single thing. Seems like a good guy and his motto of 'send me a check after you get the part' is pretty cool, but if you never get the parts none of the rest of it matters.

I'd like a pic as well.
    jtemple likes this.
  20. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    This. I have hit George up for parts on two occasions and have yet to receive a single thing by contacting him directly. Te only Uptite part I have was sourced from Hall's.