Exhaust Choices

Discussion in '610/630' started by Guoseph, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    I actually don't mind carbon since I have the SM version. It's the elongated tip that makes me think it looks like a turd. If I could have that pipe and the Arrow carbon tip I'd be all set. :)
  2. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I had a FMF slipon from Bill that was originally designed for a quad. The midpipe was part of the slipon, and Bill had a collar made for it. It was clamped together using the stock muffler clamps. The clamps are hidden behind the little CF heat shield.

[IMG]

Now I have the Leo:

[IMG]

The sticker has since been removed and I use two muffler sliders to act as standoffs for my Giant Loop bag:

[IMG]
  3. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

First off to dispell some beliefs about the carbon hanger being weak.. I went down in a boulder field in the San Juan's and the Leo Exhaust can took a huge impact without any harm what so ever to the carbon exhaust hanger. It is durable and very strong. For that matter the exhaust can can take a impact too and not leave you stranded either. It still functions perfectly and wears its battle scars nicely. The only thing that was damaged was my ego. hehe

[IMG]

Here are a few comparison photos of the Leo and FMF,, both have had all the decals removed.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can you please confirm/correct the weight savings I have on the first page for the Leo and FMF?

So far the only thing discussed in this thread about carbon is its aesthetic appeal, rather than any potential weakness of the component. Thanks for confirming it's toughness though. The turd is starting to grow on me. :D
  5. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thought I read a comment in this thread about the durability of the Leo.. Sorry I can not confirm the weight since I found the weight savings on the Leo on their website and the FMF was delivered to my friend a few days before our trip to CO and he did not have an opportunity to weigh it.

The Leo does come with a lighter weight full TI header and the carbon fiber heat shield, hanger and can tip do save weight over the FMF. Would I make my decision on this..no. I felt that the full Leo system was designed for the most improvement in hp/torque in the RPMs I was looking for. I also like that the Leo was delivered with two spark arrestors, one of which is quieter if desired. The Leo can also be run on the street without an arrestor for more air flow and better performance with proper fuel metering, not sure about the FMF. The FMF in the photo was obtained off Ebay for a bit over $300 on one of those listings that most never did get their system. My friend lucked out with some persuasion.

Another issue that was not mentioned in this thread is the fit of the system and if it causes interference to your leg. I know that the Leo does not fit as close to the frame above the peg as the FMF, Doesn't bother me but there is a slight difference. Also the two systems fit a bit differently near the back where the can fastens on, with the Leo hanging a bit lower from the rear fender giving slightly more room for anything you put on the rear fender or the Giant loop product.
  6. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the comments. My goal originally was to at least try to obtain the objective measures of difference between the different options (price/weight seem to be the least debated) before getting into the subjective comparisons.

Btw, is that a Kriega 5 or 10 on the tail rack? Thx!
  7. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just borrowed a digital scale from a weight-watcher neighbor, and the stock slip-ons with gaskets and heat shields weighed 8.5 pounds over the wing slip-ons with gaskets.

Will post pics tomorrow on the bike.
  8. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kriega 5 with tube/tools/irons/tire pump.
  9. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks!
  10. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I can never tell how big some of these bags are until I see them on a bike.
  11. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Found a few more photos I had of both the FMF and Leo to help those that may trying to decide between the two.

FMF

[IMG]

[IMG]

LEO

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Leo Sparkies

[IMG]

This photo shows how low the LEO mounts.

[IMG]
  12. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pics of the Wings slip-ons installed this weekend. Didn't realize I needed Husky gaskets at slip-on joint last week. Got them from Jeff Kaylor of Halls . . . he rocks.

Comparison of stock and Wings (8.5 pounds less weight):

[IMG]

[IMG]

Installed:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Visually, the first thing I noticed was that I need to do something with the stock heat shields.

Will paint the rear one black and go from there.

Rode the bike, and noticed a crisp response straight away. No hesitation in town off throttle/low throttle. RPMs are a little high, and backed off the idle screw. Will have dealer ibeat and then decide on the JD tuner.

The Wings sounded deeper, more throaty than stock. Pipes came with shorter, wider insert/spark arrester installed. Longer/narrower ones are in the box. I didn't think the installed ones were louder than stock, so will leave them in.
    _luke_ likes this.
  13. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    JoiseyJanet, Nice taste in exhaust. :thumbsup: The Wings pipes are a beautiful piece of work. I sure like mine. I see in your last pict the placement of your hanger spacer. From what I was told in an email from Wings, and seen in a pic on the website, is for the spacer to go behind the hanger.
    bq70[1].jpg

You can remove some of the gap between the heat shield and the can by pushing the cans farther on to the pipes like so.
    bq72.jpg
    You have no emblems on your exhaust?
    I have iBeat and messed around with the CO settings for awhile. My seat of the pants didn't notice anything extra. I went back to all 3 CO setting at 100% and I am happy with it and leaving them there.
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Nice catch. The spacer is probably there to facilitate rear tire clearance. Put it in the wrong place, and you might experience some rubbing.
  15. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the tips and pics! This forum is great!

Moving that hanger spacer and having the clamps close up at the top may eliminate that small gap at the bottom, too, between the hanger and the can.

I wasn't sure how far to push the pipe in, so just went as deep as the width of the gasket. Will play around with it. . . . :cool:

You can order the Wings with or without the carbon tips and with or without the emblems.

I usually don't mind displaying product labels on accessories, but here in the Northeast, especially in the metro area with excessive exhaust noise from others, I didn't want to draw any attention to the Wings, even as quiet as they are.
  16. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    I want to get the FMF Q4 for my TE630 and have some concerns about the extra noise. The 630 is my transportation from late April to late Oct. and is used all hours of the day or night. Getting home requires assending a long hill in a residential area. I do not want to wake up the everyone 3 in the morning.
    I have heard reports of "A little louder than stock" to " It's so loud I can only stand it for 10 miles. I'm returning it".
    Which is it?
    I want the cleaner look and weight savings of the Q4 but not a lot of extra noise!
  17. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I have the FMF PowerCore 4 with the quiet insert and it is quieter than stock dual exhaust. The FMF Q4 comes with the quiet insert already and is supposed to be even quieter than the PowerCore 4. Guaranteed you won't have extra noise.

_
  18. Rsquared Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've actually heard SilverBullet's Bike with the PowerCore 4 and I was very surprised as to how quiet it was. If, and when I buy an exhaust for my 630 it'll be the PowerCore 4...
  19. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Good, so this means you're not thinking about selling your 630 anymore? You should bring it to Big Bend instead of the orange bike. There will be at least two other 630's there that week. Unlike BB State Park, the National Park is better suited for the Husky anyway.

_
  20. Rsquared Husqvarna
    AA Class

I really like the 630, but I'm still struggling with riding on the street anymore... Hope to see you at Terlingua.