The true weight of some common 630 mods.......

Discussion in '610/630' started by Huskyfly, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    So I kept hearing how certain mods this or certain mods that could reduce the 630's weight. As everyone knows mods and weight are highly subjective. Everyone has an "idea" as to what they want to do with regards to mods for these bikes. That being said, In no way am I saying these are must do's or for that matter, that 630's are FAT!! :p This is just what I'm doing to my 630. The point to this thread is while preforming some of the most common farkle swaps, I (or anyone for that matter) would take a photo and post up what we find. Hopefully this provides a frame of reference as to what mods weigh for a Husky 630.

This is essentially a running thread of what mods weigh, what kinda weight savings or additions they have for a Husky 630.

I'm taking a stock zero miles 2011 Husky 630 using 330lbs as a starting weight and have done these mods.
    • REDUCED; Weight of the stock exhaust set up, 18.5lbs for both cans + 2lbs for the various heat shields. Weight = 20.5lbs.
    • REDUCED; Passenger foot pegs, both sides with mounting hardware. Weight = 3.5lbs
    • ADDED, FMF Q4 exhaust. Weight = 7.5lbs.
    • ADDED, Uptite Skid plate. Weight = 4lbs
    • REDUCED; stock grab handles and hardware = 1.5lbs
    • ADDED, Touratech/Husky Rack and Hardware = 3.0lbs
    • ADDED, JD Tuner = .5lbs (if that)
    • ADDED, Cycra Handgauds = 1.5lbs
    • REUCED; took off stock headlight (to add Lynx Fairing) = 2.5lbs
    • ADDED; Lynx Fairing + hardware = 6.5lbs
    • ADDED, ROX Bar Raisers = .5lbs
    So far I'm at a net savings of 4.5lbs off my 630.......big whoop!! :lol:

**I will say by comparison, the 630 CAN shed off a bunch of weight compared to other bikes!! I've essentially created my own new bike with a bunch of extras and still have it BELOW the stock weight!**

I'll post up more later. Post your own and hopefully we develop a good reference to go by.

Additional weight savings/additions;
    • Battery, weight REDUCED by 8-9lbs depending on battery choice.
    • Husky/TT rear rack and Hardware = 3lbs
    • Tail Section with Turn Signals & Plate holder = 1.1lbs
    • 1 Gallon Rotopak and mounting hardware with fuel = albs
    • Various tire and tube combos = +/-10lbs
    • Keep the suggestions coming!!

Attached Files:

2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Maybe you could calculate a dollar per pound saved. :D

The bike is FAT at 320lbs - compared to a race bike anyway. But SKINNY compared to a GS. It's all a matter of perspective. But yeah, I never could quite understand the idea some have that they're going to do all these mods to shave off a bunch of weight. Without a major redesign of components it's just not going to change that much. And they tend to be the accessory junkies and they add it all back on by putting more stuff on the bike. Hell, there is 10lbs variance between tire and tube combos. I think some tend to worry needlessly sometimes. In the end, rider conditioning and experience is more important to a successful venture.

My opionion? Just go ride it, and enjoy it!!
  3. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Here's the best way to make your bike easier to pick up...

[IMG]
    jtemple likes this.
  4. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

factory battery ~10 lbs
    shorai battery ~1 lbs
    Huskyfly likes this.
  5. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    AGH-HAHAHAHA..........The dumb bells probably me for having to pick up my 1200GS so many times instead of getting this thing from the get go!!!

Totally agree with you CJBROWN!! It's really the rider, at least 90% of the time. I guess the point is yes you can reduce the 630's weight a little here and a little there and this is just proving it in a mild sort of way. I certainly am not a gram counter or a cyclist so I know what I was getting myself into when I purchased the 630. It's got more functionality, better put together and certainly more presence then the bikes near it's class and weight.........for that is the reason I purchased. Not to see how light I could get it.
  6. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

++++I agree totally!! If I were looking for a light weight trail bike, I would buy a 250WR, or, if it had to be street legal, a TE511. The beauty of the TE630 is it's versatility. I did not buy it for technical single track, the 250WR would be a much better tool for that task!
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Another important concept is where the weight is removed and potentially added to the bike. Removing weight positioned high on the bike (exhaust) and adding a weight low on the bike (skid plate) will not necessarily have the same impact on handling. Key being to keep the center of gravity low on the bike for the sake of improving handling.
    Motosportz and Huskyfly like this.
  8. deepcdiver Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husky/TT rear rack= 2.3lb

DirtBagz standoffs I believe were 2.8lb I know I was just over 5 mounting the rack and standoffs. By ditching the passenger peg brackets and grab handles it's a wash, pretty good trade off.
    Huskyfly likes this.
  9. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You just saved me from having to weigh the Husky/TT rack when I get one. Yup, basically a wash when you remove the passenger pegs. Cool that you weighted it! OH WAIT, how much weight was reduced when you took off the stock grab / love handles?? :lol: :thinking:
  10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´ve just shaved off 14 pounds of my own weight. Apart from that, the bike´s got the twin Arrows (according to Husqvarna: 3 pounds), passenger pegs are off, Shorai battery. Don´t think there´s much more I can do.
  11. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Titanium bits...aluminum frame...skinny tires...aluminum sprockets...

Aw forget it. Just go ride! :D
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Diet and weightlifting are the cheapest and easiest way to make your bike lighter. Your center of gravity on the bike is a lot higher than the bike itself. :)
  13. deepcdiver Husqvarna
    AA Class

gastric staples?
  14. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I agree lifting weights is the difference between being able to pick up your bike. You can easily go from the ability to lift it once to twice, but the 3rd time is still difficult and the 4th, well.......:(
  15. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Hah! I hear you. I got myself stuck on steep slope. Stood the bike right up...and dropped it again. And one more time. Then I was really stuck. Friend had to walk up the hill to help me.

I started going to the gym again. :p
  16. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    My theory is that each time your drop your bike during the day, it gains 25lbs. That's why it's harder to lift each time.

I'm going to submit that for next year's Nobel Prize for Physics. ;)
  17. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  18. deepcdiver Husqvarna
    AA Class

I made a personal rule...whenever I drop my bike, I drink water. If dehydration did not lead to the spill, picking the bike up will. Once you are actually thirsty, you are well down on fluids and it is hard to catch up.
  19. deepcdiver Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tail tidy gone...gotta gab a new plate holder etc...the old one would have broken.

Weight of the tail section: 1lb 5+ oz...hope to have the cobbled up replacement be around 6 oz (LED signals, two led illuminated plate bolts, abs formed plate holder.

tail.jpg
  20. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Don´t particularly like the tail on my 630 either. But it´s what the traffic police usually go for first whenever I´m stopped (most likely `cos it´s what they see most of the time when they follow me in traffic). LEDs are not acceptable over here and I´ve not yet fully understood all the mandatory measurements that a new rear end would have to conform to. Wish someone would come out with a E3 conform tail for the 630 (and would also like a carbon bash plate).