Twin Arrow Exhaust by Husqvarna

Discussion in '610/630' started by ATD1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oneleven - Any noticeable power gains? Does it rev-up faster? Anything else you can tell us in terms of improved performance?

I think Husky claims a 7 or 8 HP gain with the Arrows/ECU. If that's true, it should be an obvious seat-of-the-pants improvement.
  2. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Lemme get back to you on that. I'm gonna swap the exhausts on Friday(raining) Saturday Friday (sunny after all) and try to do a comparison. I'm not sure if the power has improved by much to be honest. I know handling has improved with the weight loss.
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Installed the p/u plug AND the twin Arrows at the same time. Registered the result with a sigh of relief, as it was the bike I´d wanted all along. Before that, the bike, as delivered out of the box was a COW (it regularly died idling in traffic, had no power and felt very heavy). E3 conformity seems to make uncorking necessary on most bikes nowadays.
  4. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Please disregard my previous statement. Somebody must've slipped me a doobie. :excuseme: I quickly forgot how sluggish the stock pipes are, after putting on the Arrows. Bike has labrynth removed and PU kit. Broken in as instructed in the manual.

OEM
    Pro: - it's quieter
    Cons: - response is a little slow. It takes a bit of time to get up to speed with how far you've twisted the throttle.
    - there's more vibration throughout the bike
    - sound isn't as pleasing to the ears
    - heavier: left pipe (3kg 259g) OEM-left-kgs_resize.JPG right pipe (3kg 274g) OEM-right-kgs_resize.JPG

TWINS
    Pros: - throttle response is almost immediate. I concur with organ, this is the way the bike should've come. Twist the throttle and it just goes.
    - sounds awesome
    - revs faster
    - runs much cooler (I can put my hand right on the pipe anywhere after a run)
    - lighter: left pipe (1kg 746g) Arrow-left-kgs_.jpg right pipe (1kg 742g) Arrow-right-kgs_.JPG
    Con: - expensive
    - louder, but not by much

Yes, definitely!
  5. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    DB test

Testing was done in a secluded spot. Ambient sound level: 43 DB. Sound meter is a new Reed ST-805 mounted on a tripod pointed at the exhaust tip (same height) 50cm behind at a 45 degree angle. Accuracy +-1.5db

db-test-setup.jpg

OEM @ idle 79.8 DB OEM-idle.jpg @ 2000RPM 82.3 DB OEM-2000RPM.jpg @ 5000RPM 89 DB OEM-5000RPM.jpg and right up close @ 5000RPM 92.1 DB OEM-close5000RPM.jpg
  6. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Ambient sound level: 50 DB

Arrows @ idle 83.8 DB Arrows-idle.jpg @ 2000RPM 84.1 DB Arrows-2000RPM.jpg @ 5000RPM 90.4 DB Arrows-5000RPM.jpg close @ 5000RPM 91.5 DB Arrows-close5000RPM.jpg
  7. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Interesting readings - the arrows are not much louder , or does the 7dB difference in ambient noise make a difference so if
    OEM @ idle 79.8 DB where ambient sound is 43 dB
    and
    Arrows @ idle 83.8 DB where ambient sound is 50 dB
    then does this mean that to be comparable
    Arrows @ idle 83.8 + 7 (50 - 43) DB = 90.8 DB where ambient sound is 43 dB ?
  8. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's my number one complaint right now with my SM630. Especially compaired to the throttle response of my TE310. I know the two aren't going to be the same. But like you said, the 630 has a little slowness between the throttle and the revs. And that's with all the power-ups done. Don't get me wrong.... The bike runs great . But, the power just doesn't come-on like a dirt bike.

Thanks for posting. You just convinced me to drain my checking account...
  9. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    I don't think ambient matters as long as it's not any louder than the exhausts. Dunno why I included that. The meter has a max hold that displays max db level. Revs were held for about ten seconds to get a good reading.

You're welcome. I'll be putting away my stock pipes on the shelf for good.
  10. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow! My hand will catch on fire if I touch the stock silencers after a ride.
  11. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    Oneleven, regarding your comparison, why the change in where you put the sound meter at 5,000 rpms? You said "close" and "right up close." There is no way on earth the OEM pipes are anywhere near louder than the twin Arrow pipes...at any RPM. To be a truly accurate test all conditions should be equal. If not please explain.
  12. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    "close" "right up close" It was just for ships-n-giggles. The carbon end didn't allow the mic to get as close to the exhaust hole. I don't claim to be an expert at this sort of thing.[IMG] Googling "motorcycle exhaust db test" usually brings up the standard '20in away at a 45 degree angle'. I'm just a guy who bought a cheap sound meter and did a quick test.
  13. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    Ok, sounds good...no pun intended [IMG].
  14. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    I am disappoint. 45 RWHP
    2011TE630-dyno.jpg
    I rode over to DaytonaMotorsports in Surrey,BC today where they had a dyno setup in the parking lot. Put in fresh oil and filter yesterday. (Maxima 5W-50 +Hi-flo) Also cleaned and oiled the air filter. Full tank of ethanol free 94 octane. And washed the bike.

Bike mods: PU kit, lab removed, Arrows + ecu

Mike (the guy with the earmuffs) said he was surprised as well with the numbers. We both expected 50+HP. It's running a little rich at the higher rpms. The jiggly lines are from the nubbies on the karoos. I asked if going to a single can would improve HP, but he said very little. Maybe more at higher rpms. He did say the bike runs smooth. Can't say I'm happy about the results. :( Might take it back to Mike and get a custom map. Dunno. I was going to change the pipes back to stock and dyno it, but after this result why bother.

GOPR0002[16-33-43].JPG GOPR0002[16-34-44].JPG
  15. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    If it's fun to ride, who cares?
  16. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    +1 Don't get me wrong, I still love her to bits. Buuut, I was really hoping the numbers would match up with how it feels on road. Not to mention the $$$ spent!
  17. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My dyno days are over (have spent a lot too much on various bikes over the years chasing the numbers). Right now, I just want the bike to feel right and be competitive. With the pu kit and the twin Arrows on the 630 ... I´m happy!
  18. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Good point. Although I never understood the dyno numbers game. It seems so inconsistent to me. From what I understand, you could go do another dyno down the street and get a drastically different number. I bet ditching the knobbies for the run would make a difference as well.

The 630 has about 100hp less than the last two bikes I've owned; I don't miss the power one bit. This bike has truly made me love riding again.
  19. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

oneleven, how oily was the freshly cleaned and oiled air filter that you put in right before the test? In my experienes a freshly heavly oiled air filter has a significant impact on performance until the engine has been run enough at high rpms to pull the excess oil through the air filter and clear up the air way.
  20. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    much less than before the cleaning. I squeezed out as much of the excess as possible with lots of paper towels. Then gave the bike a good run until the smoke cleared. And another 30km on the highway to Daytona.