Twin Arrow Exhaust by Husqvarna

Discussion in '610/630' started by ATD1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    One trick I read about (here, I think) regarding air filters...

I bought a second one. I keep it clean, oiled, and ready to go, hanging in a big ziploc baggy. The time it spends sitting lets the excess oil settle into the bottom of the baggy, and you have a clean & oiled filter ready to go at all times.
  2. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    I just received my 2011 TE630 back from it's first service, where I also had the twin Arrow pipes and ECU fitted and changed the front sprocket from a 15 to 14.

Impressions:

1. They are quite a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxious. More a deep, resonant sound. I asked the dealer the fit the DB killers, but they are still in the box, so looks like that was missed somehow. Am not worried as the sound as is is OK for me.

2. The weight of the old cans is a lot more than I expected - i dont know what crap is in them, but each side is very heavy.

3. Heat - the new cans get far less hot. You can hold either side with your bare hand and just gently warm them up. The old ones ran very hot and would burn you. This would be important if you carried a pillion, as this is far safer.

4. There is a significant improvement in power delivery. Before, it's idle speed ranged from 1,800 to 2,200 (surging & occasionally stalling on take off when applying any throttle), now it is between 1,750 and 1,850. It pulls far cleaner, stronger and smoother from low revs, and is much meatier below 4,000rpm, as well as above that. To see how it went I deliberately lugged it in top gear at around 2,500rpm at 60kmh and it pulled away cleanly. In top gear before it was flat out accelerating or holding speed when there was a hill. No such problem now, fixed by a mix of lower gearing and more power/torque. It is a much more flexible bike to ride now, as you can let the revs drop a litle without having to change down, as it will pull cleanly from lower revs. It also revs and accelerates quicker and harder in the higher rev range, and is much more of a hooligan bike.

5. The change in gearing seems like a good compromise for me. First is now noticeably lower, which will be very handy in the tight stuff and hill climbs. It can still cruise comfortably at 120kmh, which is all i need, and is good for squirts far higher than that.

6. The bike has lost some of it's relaxed, loping, feel. This is a combination of the lower gearing and the extra noise of the pipes, which makes everything feel more urgent.

7. Overall I am very happy with the bike now. It's a beautiful machine that has all the performance I could ever need.
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

4. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

Did you have the PU kit installed before the pipes, or was the bike completely stock?
  5. d k Husqvarna
    C Class

Hey there.
    Is there anyone out there who makes a header pipe as well with the exhaust?

D
  6. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The bike was completely stock engine & gearing wise before installing the pipes & ECU.

Before installing them I asked the dealer about the PU kit and whether I should just do that instead, and sent him an extract of a couple of posts from this website explaining the procedure. He said he had done similar modifications for the 449 and 511, but not the 630, so couldn't comment first hand on the likely improvement. However, he said that to ensure he was up-to-date with his advice he called the Australian importer, who advised that they had ridden 630s with this modification and, although better than stock, it was probably only 30% or so of the improvement they get from fitting the pipes & ECU.

At this point what do you do? I just wanted the bike running well so went ahead with the pipes and dont regret it at all. It is now a much more menacing bike to ride and I actually like the aggressive sound. I also love the fact that I can now be idling along in 1st at 5kmh, crack the throttle & the front lifts instantaneously - no coughing or spluttering, just instant lift from no revs, which is very handy to get over trail hurdles. It also lifts the front in second with a simple roll on of the throttle and I'm sure a better rider could lift it in third.

I also much prefer the look. To me, in stock form the bike is dominated by the large, shiny exhaust, which gives the back end a heavy look (as well as actually being heavy). The Arrow pipes are smaller in diamater and their carbon ends and clamps help break it up a bit. I also love that Husqvarna is stampled on them, so that if I get questioned by the Cops I can point at that.

My only gripe with them is the cost of $1,887 plus fitting costs, which is outrageous.
  7. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here are a few photos. The rear rack is Husky genuine part.
    Husky Arrow1.JPG Husky Arrow 2.JPG Husky Arrow 3.JPG Husky Arrow 4.JPG
    organ donor likes this.
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

True .... the price for the Arrows is `outrageous´! And the aluminium header shrouds do spoil the looks of the bike. But the Special Parts replacement carbon shrouds make al the difference ... and the price is just as outrageous (although they´re definitely worth it). And your´re also right about the rack. I was trying to keep the weight down but have now got a scratched rear mudguard.

Attached Files:

9. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes I'd love the carbon bits but not at at over $1,000 - I'm still sore from being bent over the chair with the pipes & fitting. They do great on your bike though.

I can highly recommend the rack - not much extra weight at all after removal of the standard pillion grab handles, and it's very good quality. They have integrated pillion handles that I don't believe show up well in the Husky catalogue.
  10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanx, Russ. So I can take off the grab handles if I fit a rack. And then there wont be much weight increase.
  11. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes, I didn't appreciate until the dealer fitted the rack that they had to remove the standard pillion handles, which they handed back to me. These weighed a little bit, but not a lot.

The new rack will result in a small weight gain, but I can't tell you how much, but it is a fairly streamline package. I am talking about the Husky special parts rack, not the one from Touratech - not sure whether that is the same or not.

The rack is quite small, perfect for my tail bag, but if you wanted to do longer trips a beefier one may be more suitable.

If you would like any more pictures of the rack let me know, but you can get an idea from the photos above.
  12. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
  13. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky Mud.JPG
    Not after today's ride they aren't!
  14. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Has anybody tried the LV twin slip-ons? I've read about the full Ti header 2-into-1, but nothing about the twins. Motoxotica has a set, and it's priced pretty reasonable.
  15. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Can´t over here. The Arrows are Euro street legal (E3 stamped), whereas none of the others are. Can´t risk getting pulled over, as then I´d have to take the bike to get it checked by the licensing authorities (TÜV) and they´d find out all the other mods.
  16. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

And that's the reason why Husky can make such stupid prices for the Arrows :banghead:
  17. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

... and Arrows don´t sell them any cheaper direct!
  18. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. n17 Husqvarna
    C Class

I've just mounted a Titanium mufflers with carbon end caps from Wings. Of course with spark arrestors- they gave me 2 different sets (sizes) for sound tuning. And the sound is awesome.
    Also no cat (no heat) and weight saving is more than 50%.
    Regarding design- they must be made for my bike exactly because the lines matched totaly.

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      79 KB
      Views:
    XLEnduroMan and Mikete630 like this.
  20. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    The Arrow's are cooler (in both looks and temps) than the stock exhaust because they don't have any cats. I'm disappointed in the prices on the exhaust systems for our bikes, as I really like the look of the Arrows (I'm partial to the dual mufflers), but may end up going with the full LV system. Just not this year.....