Twin Arrow Exhaust by Husqvarna

Discussion in '610/630' started by ATD1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I know it's been asked a couple of times but I've not seen a clear answer...

Is it possible to de-cat just the left side can and ditch the right can completely? I know I'd have to get it iBeated, but interested in this option as an economical route to go to a single and save a little weight. Of course it means welding a patch over the hole where the pipe branches off to the right can, but I don't mind as I'll never go back to the twins. What I don't want to do is permanently change the pipe this way only to learn this is not a good route to go. Thanks!
  2. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    As far as I know, you'd be the first to try.
  3. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was interested in finding this out myself, so I went out to the garage to see how feasible this would be. I don't have any problems with modifying the muffler, that's been documented pretty well here.

There looks to be quite a bit of work modifying the "y" pipe. The "y" pipe reduces in diameter quite a bit going into the left side muffler. Also the configuration of the "y" doesn't look like a simple patch would be the answer to block of the right side. You would need to cut the mid pipe in front of the "y", and have a new piece fabbed to connect it to the stock can. If I've read it right, this is what Bill's mod is to use a single RMZ muffler. I believe with the FMF single, you're getting a whole new mid pipe. I could be wrong, if anybody knows differently, please post.

Like you, I don't want to go down that road, find it doesn't work, and then have a messed up stock piece. I'll probably end up going the FMF single route. I want to run a single for the weight savings, and if TCI or Dirt-Bagz ever come up with a set of saddlebag brackets, the right side would be a perfect spot to mount a Rotopac to carry and extra gallon of gas.
  4. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

I went to a muffler shop to look this over. The best approach (IMO) would be to cut the midpipe just aft of the o2 sensor. Make a new piece that fits with a clamp, from that cut to the left can. That short piece of stainless tubing needs to be custom mandrel bent to fit properly.

To reverse the situation and go back to stock, you could then re-install the Y-split piece with a simple sleeve and clamp.

The shop gave me a quote of $125. YMMV....
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Huge thanks guys- glad I asked as there definitely seems to be concrete considerations I'd not thought of. I've briefly talked w/ a shop and will likely go back there to see what they'll charge to set me up w/ a mid pipe to adapt to a rmz fmf (perhaps...leaning that way now but still considering other options.) I did e-mail Bill's shop to try to get the same set up JTemple has, but the guy from there who responded to my e-mail (not Bill himself, granted) wasn't eager to go there. That was a bit of an odd exchange...I originally e-mailed to get the price of both the fmf set up as well as their Jardine (which was quoted at 450) and his response was non-specific and ended w/ the simple sentence "we can do the fmf but it'll cost more, we look for sales on exhausts that fit." So it seems they're not dying to do another fmf and if they did I'd have to pay significantly more than JTemple did. I may PM Bill, in all fairness to him as he seems great on the forums, but overall the exchange left a not so great impression. Thanks again.
  6. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

I think making that midpipe piece is more time consuming and costly than he was charging.
  7. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Could very well be and can't fault him there. Sounds as though Jesse may have snagged up a great deal and good for him for doing so.

Jesse: Is the fmf you got a powercore, a 4.1, or a q4? Also, I think you said it was for a RMZ450- what year? Depending on the cost of getting the local shop to fab the mid pipe I may grab a fmf on-line...but want to be sure to get the right one. Thanks-
  8. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The pipe was originally for a 2008 RMZ450. Powercore, 4.1, Q4, I have no idea. It doesn't say anything on it that would indicate what model pipe it is. Here's a pic:

[IMG]

Here's where I cut, just forward of the O2 sensor:

[IMG]

Here's a pic of the the clamps and sleeve installed:

[IMG]

The two clamps (not the hose clamps holding the heat shield on) are stolen from the stock cans. Under those clamps is a simple sleeve that's not more than a few inches long. It's notched on the ends to allow the clamps to squeeze it shut around the two pipes.

That's really all there is to it. I can't imagine that little sleeve costs all that much money. There's nothing magical about it.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks Jesse...appreciate you responding. I think I'll touch base with Bill to see what it is.
  10. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Uh can you just use an exhaust from a bike with lower displacement? Wouldn't there be any disadvantages? I mean there has to be a reason why FMF sells pipes especially for the 630? :confused:
    I'm just interested in that because there aren't any legal aftermarket exhaust options in Germany except the Arrows (which I won't buy because of the stupid price). And if using an exhaust from a different bike works too, I might just get the cheapest option available, even if the cops won't like it :rolleyes: I thought about some KTM SMC exhausts or something like that, because their reaaaally cheap to get around here. :)

Any hints on that would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
  11. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Ya know...cans are cans. About all that distinguishes one muffler from another, once it's in the general ballpark of displacement/horsepower, is the fitment of mounting points and midpipes. If you can get it to fit, it will work.
  12. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the info! :)
  13. Mikete630 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husqvarna TE630
    Whats the link for the Wings pipes? Price you paid? I also have a 2011 TE630. Did you feel any increase in power? What about the power from take off? Mine is a bit sluggish on take off, needs alot of throttle to get her going.
  14. Mikete630 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Husqvarna TE630
    Did the new FMF pipe change the power of the bike alot? Top End? Or from take off? mine is a bit sluggish stock.
  15. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    The Arrows website indicates that the Twin Arrows pipes for the 630 yield 46.78 PS versus 44.51 PS stock, an increase of 5.1%.

I wonder wether the power graph on the Arrows Website used the updated Husqvarna ECU that usually accompanies the Arrows pipe Kit - Unlikely here given the modest 5% gain.:thinking:

http://www.arrow.it/eng/prodotti/motociclo.asp?IDM=43&IDTab=988

As the ariflow from the engine to the exhast increases with PU, an opended airbox and JD Tuner, the restrictions of the stock pipes will become greater and the Arrows pipes should hopfully post higher gains

A dyno graph of a 630 with Twin Arrows pipes, PU, an opended airbox and JD Tuner sure would be great, any takers out there ?
  16. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´m staying with the twin Arrows. (a) `Cos they´re street legal in the EU, (b) They come with the ECU (c) I´ve opened up the airbox and don´t think restricting the zorst with a single outlet is a good idea and (d) suppose I have more scope to regulate with the JD tuner.
  17. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Have you ridden a TE yet ?
    If yes, how does the below 4000 RPM experience compare to your SM with the Arrows ?

The twin Arrows with the replacement ECU make a lot of sense, especially for SM owners as the stock SM ECU is rather crappy below 4000 rpm, at least on my SM it is.
  18. n17 Husqvarna
    C Class

The price for WINGS mufflers is 594.-USD (per pair) web-site is www.wings.si Throtle response is smoother no doubt.
  19. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No, not been on a TE. But am well satisfied with the result of (a) p/u kit, (b) opened up airbox (c) twin Arrows & ECU and (d) JD tuner. Don´t think there´s much more to be done and the power as about as much as I can handle (but not at the moment, in winter, as I don´t want to smash it on slippery roads ... so am back on my old 644 CCM for the duration).
  20. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

I found that my SM 630 was too rich just off idle. That made it blubbery at lower RPMs and take off. I corrected that problem with a JD Tuner.

At least two other SM 630 owners have followed my suggestion on this issue and have been pleased with the result. In my book, the JD Tuner is an absolute must-buy at $200.