Exhaust Choices

Discussion in '610/630' started by Guoseph, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    Hi Everyone,

I've been reading through the exhaust related threads and have gotten a little lost trying to understand the different choices of exhaust for my SMS 630. I'm mostly changing out the exhaust to shave some weight, but I'm not chasing after every last ounce either. Trying to make a list of choices by price and weight, hopefully you guys can help me fill some of this in?

Exhaust / Weight saving over stock / MSRP / Street Price

Modified Stock / 3.5 / $50 / $50
    FMF 4.1 / ??? / $749 / $650 - $700
    FMF Powercore 4 / 14.1 / $599 / $525 - $550
    FMF Q4 / 13.0 / $649 / $575 - $600
    Leo SS S/O / ??? / $649 / ???
    Leo Alum S/O / ??? / $649 / ???
    Leo Titanium F/S / 17.0 / $1,169 / ???
    Arrow S/O / 6.7 / ??? / $1,000
    Wings / 8.5 / $669 / $669

Here are a few of my sources:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/the-true-weight-of-some-common-630-mods.20396/#post-178189

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/twin-arrow-exhaust-by-husqvarna.17540/page-3#post-162109

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/best-pipe-for-the-630.15644/#post-139163

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-take-on-converting-630-cans-to-flow-throughs.19706/

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/630-exhaust-prices.20934/page-4#post-191454

Thanks everyone!
  2. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    FMF Powercore 4
    weight saving of 14.1 lbs with quiet insert

_
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Uptite, around $385 per can
  4. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

The stock one is not free
    Assuming you can do the job by yourself and you have all the tools to do it, it's still going to cost you about $50 in materials and whatever your time is worth...
    Or you might be able to get somebody to do it for you for maybe another $60-80 (?)

:thinking:
  5. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Since he had a weight savings of "0" he meant unmodified stock cans. But you bring up another choice to be added to his list. De-catted stock cans. I remember seeing a post where somebody weighed all they had cut out.

_
  6. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wait...whaaaat?
    I didn't realize that's an option...you know...to just leave the stocks...stock
    Thought they're there just until you're able to allocate enough funds to dump them...?

;)
  7. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, I will change the original post...since listing unmodified stock doesn't make any sense in that post.
  8. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    You can't put a price on the sweeet sound and weight of the Leo Ti system, great fit and weight.:cheers:
    Thumperama likes this.
  9. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    This seems to imply you have to buy two cans? Or is there a mid-pipe you have to make/buy? What's the total cost? Weight savings?

Thanks
  10. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, but I think the exhaust tip on the Leo looks like the tip of a turd, or it'd be a done deal already :thinking:

Also, so far it's looking like for the extra $$$ you are chasing 3-4 pounds compared to an FMF. I guess the majority of the weight of the stock system is in the cans, and going all the way to the header doesn't get you as much weight savings.
  11. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I like the closer fit of the LV headers vs. the stock, Carbon bits are also nice!
  12. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    +1
    I don't care for the LV either. To me it actually has a cheaper look to it. The FMF appears stronger built and more like an off road pipe. Since personal preference for appearance usually influences all decisions here is a photo of my Powercore 4 (de-stickered of course).

[IMG]

_
  13. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    $385 would have to be the price each for dual slip on cans. Estimate given to me for single exhaust was $485, muffler, mid pipe and re-using some of the stock exhaust shields. I say estimate because last I checked George was still fine tuning it and not ready to sell yet.

_
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I have had an FMF and the Leo system. The Leo gets my vote, if cost isn't a problem. That thing is a work of art.
    Thumperama likes this.
  15. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just picked up a set of dual slip-on Ti w/ carbon end cap Wings www.wings.si
    for $669 delivered to NJ for my TE630. Came with set of shorty dbkiller/spark arrestors installed and another longer set dbkiller/spark arrestors in box.

I will get the weight difference between stock and pics up this weekend.

Plan to have bike i-beat tuned first, and then see about the JDtuner.
  16. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    After a failed attempt at getting one of the FMF pipes accidentally "discounted" on ebay, I'm waiting on the Uptite. Meanwhile I may de-cat my stock cans as it appears to be really simple to do. The Uptite is a beautiful piece of work. Last I checked George at Uptite was still waiting on some bends for the mid-pipe. He mentioned a savings of something like 20 pounds. Can it be that much? If so it would more than compensate for my racks and much of the extra weight of the Safari tank. I like the look of the stock duals, but dropping some weight will really help when picking up the bike on the trail.
  17. JoiseyJanet Husqvarna
    AA Class

The motivation for me is getting rid of the heat generated by the cats in the exhaust. I carry extra fuel in a Kolpin 1.5gal in a sidebag.
    I also had some issues with a BMW G650 xcountry stock exhaust puking its guts and stopping up the pipes (my dealer was nice and replaced the stocker with an Akrapovic full system. ., kinda loud, tho).
  18. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    20 sounds like a lot when you compare it to the full Leo Ti, which is supposedly only a 17 lb weight saving. Unless I got the Leo number wrong
  19. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    20 lbs of weight savings is not possible as the stock mid pipe and cans are only 21 lbs and change.
  20. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    But if I remember correctly you only had a FMF muffler and then a pieced together midpipe and heat shield correct? In any case looks are still a personal preference. Here's a photo of Fast1's LV. Does look very nice but something about carbon fiber on a dirt bike just doesn't do it for me.

[IMG]