Canadian TR650 owners with stalling issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by riverboy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Anyone in Canada receive their recall letter yet? The only Husky/Ktm dealer in the province has never heard of the recall or fix, such as sending the ECU away.
  2. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Yes people have. Call KTM Canada if you havent. You will need the VIN number of your bike.
  3. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Finally got my letter in the mail early last week.

Called Freedom Cycle in Truro Nova Scotia and they said to drop the bike off. Just like the US, approximately 2 week turn around.
  4. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Just went to the dealer yesterday to register the bike under my name in their system, they have the recall documents, but the ECU needs to be removed then sent to Husky for them to reprogram it, the manager told me there's no problem if I wait until the end of riding season before bringing the bike, it's not that big an issue to me (the stalling) and I certainly won't be skipping two weeks of riding when the season is so short!
    Newfoundlander likes this.
  5. Jean2Go Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650 2013, Te250 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC-F 350 6days 2012
    Mine is going to Aktion KTM Tonight...Will keep you inform.
  6. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 KLR650 , 07 Hammer, 2010 ST1300
    Picked up my bike after the reprogramming and have rode it 300 plus km in 30 plus weather. Lots of stop and go riding in traffic while hot, no stalling runs great. I think they fixed it. No need for the cheater plug anymore.
    PaulC likes this.
  7. Jean2Go Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC-F 350 6days 2012
    Hey Riverboy, good news. How long did you wait for your bike.
  8. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Got mine back today. So far so good, seems to respond to the right wrist a lot better. The idol is dead steady even at full temp.

Cold it starts right away, doesn't crank over and over like it did pre recall

Cold start this afternoon and the idol shot up top about 2000 rpm and slowly came down to 1650ish. Prior to the recall the idol hardly ever rose when it was cold.

Happy so far.
    Newfoundlander likes this.
  9. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    What in the absolute F$#k. Got 30km ridden since the recall. Never had an issue with the bike that wasent self inflicted. Now I got an EWS error and no start. The Hazard light symbol is steady on too.
    Wtf, I don't even have the chipped keys battery is fully charged.
  10. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    what do you mean you don't have the chipped keys?
  11. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 KLR650 , 07 Hammer, 2010 ST1300
    Turn around was 2 weeks. The dealer told me it was very important to follow a set up procedure, when the ECU was reinstalled, other wise you may have issues. I have ridden the bike 420 km with the new software and it runs well and fuel milage is about the same. Cannot tell anything different about the power but the idle is defiantly different. I had asked to have the service wrench icon reset and it was. Overall I am happy and the TR650 and it is still on my favourite bike list. Now that BMW dropped their 650 no other bike fills the niche the TR has. That said if I had to use one of my duel purpose bikes to ride to Calgary(1000KM) I would saddle up the KLR. My son and I are planning a trip to explore the fire roads in the interior of BC in a couple weeks so we will se what we can break or what breaks down.
  12. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    I don't have the factory installed alarm system like some others in this forum with an EWS error. I tried the secondary ground to the ECU as per other people's recommendations but still got an error.
    My dealer is stumped too and legitimately frustrated for me and all us TR owners.. The new KTM computers can't tell why the error is showing up on my dash and why it won't start. They sent an email with an attached file to Husky HQ asking what to do. They then sent it to Macnelli ( think that's how it's spelt) for a resolution to the problem.

I just know when ever this is fixed its going for sale or a trade in. The dealer is 500km round trip to me and I've done it 3 times in a month. Driving a Jeep at 1.05 a leter for fuel towing a trailer to the dealer isn't fun on the wallet.
  13. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i had an EWS error go away by disconnecting the battery for an hour or so. The keys are chipped with and without alarm system.
  14. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Oh really good to know, thought they were just regular keys unless you had the alarm. I tried both the keys I got and still no change.
    Tried the battery. Took it out and charged it over night and still an error
  15. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    did the EWS error come out of the blue or after you have worked on the bike? Did you check if the plug above/behind the head light came loose?
    Kinda famous for causing the EWS error... Be careful when you work there to not damage the cable going to the antenna ring around the ignition lock.

[IMG]
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr650-engine-immobiliser-ews.29727/page-3
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/pottering-around.39580/page-7#post-539477

LED lights can interfere with the enginge immobiliser and cause the EWS error.

Some dashes have been found to be leaky resulting in the EWS error

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/instrument-dash-leaking-and-ews-error.85097/#post-591726
  16. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
  17. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Ok thanks.
    Bike is still at the dealer, they hope that Husky HQ will get back to them soon on the EWS. The dealer seems like a pretty decent bunch.
    I've called them and mentioned the plug behind the headlight cover and the extra ground to the ecu. Guy said he would look into it.
    Worst is they are 2.5 hour drive, otherwise I'd pull it out and try the 2 above solutions in their parking lot.
  18. Jean2Go Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC-F 350 6days 2012
    Got mine yesterday, looking good so far. Tried to make it stall and he didn't. Will put some more KM on it just to be sure.
    Mark_H likes this.
  19. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Little update.
    Added the extra ground to the ECU, still got the EWS error.
    Reset the plug behind the head light cover, still got the EWS error.
    I've got no added electronics or wiring on the bike.

Dealer sent the code and computer data to Husky for a solution they then set it to Magnelli for help. Just a waiting game now.

While I was there one of the reps for Husky Canada was at the dealer and he definitely felt my pain and seemed more frustrated about the situation than I was.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the service from Freedom in Truro Nova Scotia. They are legit trying but are stuck waiting for a reply.

Wish I could swing a deal for a trade in for a 701 or Husky take the bike back and give me credit towards a new Husky...keep dreaming eh lol....id do it today.
    johnsweet likes this.
  20. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb