Ignition/ transponder bypass

Discussion in 'TR650' started by glitch_oz, Jun 13, 2014.

1. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    huh? This is no different to having the antenna around the ingition and a key in the ignition. This is how every RFID based system works. All this mod is doing is moving the antenna and the key to a location other than ignition switch.
    Personally I don't see much need for this mod, other than as a temporary solution in case the original antenna or wiring is damaged. It doesn't bypass the immobilizer, which is what people really want to avoid having immobilizer issues in remote areas. I know there have been similar antenna hacks for BMWs, but these addressed issues with faulty antennas in early systems, and AFAIK have never been an issue on the Terra, and were solved in BMW models from 2009 onwards.
    glitch_oz and Biff Malibu like this.
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

ABSOLUTELY.

DON'T DO THIS IF YOU'RE NOT FEELING COMFORTABLE WITH IT.

Switch? A switch what for? The OEM antenna is rep[laced by another one and that's all there is to it.
    Only ONE of them does the verification, as only one of them is plugged in at a time.
    Like to use the other one? Just plug it in instead.

Here's a copy of my reply to the same post at ADV

3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I am with all of you on this, I do not see how it could matter. I am just passing on the info from someone who has been down that road.

But yeah, a switch would be good insurance against the screwdriver key, and if in the case of a snoop signal, even with the key off, the switch would kill that ring antenna circuit. Just two wires right? Put the switch in that circuit. The ring antenna will not work, and the switch is your hidden security.
  4. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    That would be upsetting. I always leave the key in the ignition when I park the bike (when secured in the garage).
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    The TR keyfob uses a key chip by Texas Crypto, model 6E-80 TX-MA
    commonly called a TC80 in the locksmith/ security industry and used by Kawasaki Motorbikes/ Ford cars US+UK, Toyota and others.
    Seems to be a fairly wide-spread item.
    The second I mentioned "BMW", the local locksmith Guru clamped down and didn't want to know me. :-))
    The consequent question if he could get me a chip or 2 and clone the code was met with a stony:
    "Those can't be cloned, everyone in the industry knows BMW keys can't be cloned"
    Also told me that it's impossible for a Honda ring-antenna to be able to read the Husky signal " as they are totally different systems".
    Time for me to get out of there...quick.

Whilst I saw the chip ID on the screen myself, I put the rest down to "I can't be stuffed getting a minimum quantity of 20 chips out of China for you nor care to waste an hour or 2 to check around as to the "How To".

So, if anyone knows of a source of the chips and / or someone with the knows to do it, please pipe up.
    PaulC likes this.
  6. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Just a quick follow up.
    Got the 2. Honda HISS antenna/ decoder ring, this one nominally for a CBR600RR.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/25129660981...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:AU:3160&vxp=mtr

Checking the tag, the type-numbers are quite different to the previous CB400 item.
    Just did a quick bodge-job to check out if this one would do the trick just as well...and it does, bike starts and runs fine, no errors.

Which pretty much proves the point to me that the antenna itself is just a simple, little antenna ....and nothing else.
    PaulC likes this.
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

And since nothing has changed over 4 weeks of running and starting over and over without any EWS-errors displayed , I'll call this one a "stay-er".
    The 2. modded antenna went into the car (which luckily had the same separate-setup of antenna and transponder) and has been pulling its regular duty as well. All good in my book.
    mag00 likes this.
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Glad that is working out, I had some concern, but was hoping it worked out.

My key is still on order, lol.
  9. hendo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 90/6
    Hi Glitch & others,
    My Terra hasn't gon for months because I had a encounter with the ground and the instruments and the ignition got damaged. The instruments have been repaired with the help from Chris (a tr owner in Perth). I have tried the hiss ring mod and used my broken key in the hiss ring then using my spare key in the ignition and the EWS error stayed on and bike didn't start!
    Should I be using a blank key in the ignition, even knowing the pickup ring around the ignition is damaged!
    The plug that you show in the photo that plugs the hiss ring into, that isn't the plug that the ignition plugs into the harness, this plug is a 4 pin plug! Are you showing the right harness plug to use!
    I still like this bike but if it isn't going soon, I may go to plan B and put it on eBay as parts.
  10. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The first step in looking at the problem is to use diagnostics to see what error codes there are, if you dont have access to a GS911 ask around the BM club in WA and see if anyone can beam into it for you. There are a couple of other things you may be able to try, get hold of me via my GS web site if you want to
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

???
    Just to clear a few things up:
    The OEM antenna ring (NOT the ignition lock!) has a 2-pin plug, factory-cabletied to the alum crossbrace above the headlight unit.

The HISS antenna is a direct replacement for the factory antenna!! (antenna ONLY, not a complete HISS ignition lock!).
    As stated and shown, the HISS ring needs to be modded to remove everything except the actual ring itself and the 2 connection tabs
    for soldering the wires to.

Unplug the OEM, plug in the HISS.
    The HISS ring has to be fitted with an ORIGINAL, CHIPPED !!! key....while the OEM ignition barrel now can be operated
    with any key, chipped or un-chipped as the code-verification is now handled by the HISS-ring/ key combo.
    I'd suggest to use a non-chipped key for the ignition-lock, just to prevent any possible signal-overlap by having TWO chipped keys close to eachother and possibly within "reading-reach" of the active pickup antenna.
    Mark_H likes this.
  12. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III
    Sorry something completely unrelated to the issue but a helpful tip. I would scramble the blade of the key in the picture if I were you. If someone would find out where your bike is parked that person could use this photo to make a copy at some online locksmith who will fabricate the exact same key (I know because I tried it) and that person could jack your bike in a way that couldn't be easier.
  13. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Tks for the heads-up
  14. hendo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 90/6
    Thanks for the info.
    I have to order a new speedo!
    Because using the second hand speedo with a vin off another bike, it can't be re programmed with my vin.
    This is part of this stupid anty theft system!
    So the bike will be off the road for another couple of months!
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Hendo, get in touch with me, I know we only pretend to be part of the same country, lower your standards, I dont have PM on this system
  16. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    So I bought this strada last November. This was my second, the first was stolen rather quickly. I went through it front to back fixing and adjusting many things, many of which I learned how to from this and HF's thread on AdvRider. I rode it to and from work a few times after I got it, but it was set up as a Terra with 21"/18" wheels and knobbies among other things that I wanted to change. So into the garage it went for the next few months as I have other bikes to ride and little time to work on them.
    I was very careful when I took off the front end to replace a fork seal and to examine the steering head bearings not to damage the immobilizer wire/ring that I had read about. Weeks later after I got the parts (including a 19" front wheel) to put back together, I had forgotten about being so careful concerning this wire. Low and behold when I tried to start the bike i got the dreaded "EWS" on my dash. Still not remembering about the fragile wire underneath the ignition I feared that somehow I had shorted the ECU. I had removed the battery as a first step before all the work started so I was confused. Finding the broken wire coming from the headlight was somewhat a relief. How to go about fixing it was the question. Following the example of "glitch-oz" I decided that replacing the antenna ring was the most logical (and cheapest) option.
    He had used a Honda part from a bike that's not sold here in the US. Buying parts from overseas can sometimes be expensive to ship and take a long time to receive, so I went looking for a cheap alternative available here in the states. What I found on ebay was what the seller labeled a "Ducati 1098 transponder antenna ring" for $10 plus shipping.

Here is a photo

[IMG]

On the left is the broken Husky wire. In the center is the Magneti Marelli Ducati wire/ring, and on the right is a female waterproof connector that I have to splice on to the Ducati part so it can plug into the Husky harness.

After the soldering (not my best work)

[IMG]

Next: Install it and see if it works... I just plugged it in and placed it over the ignition. I'll figure out a more permanent solution later.

[IMG]

And She starts!!!

[IMG]

I posted this to let anybody who might need it, that another part besides the honda ring will work. Thanks glitch for leading the way.
  17. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb