TR650 Engine Immobiliser - EWS

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 1, 2013.

1. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    didnt work, the battery was disconnected over night. The bike still wont run.
  2. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Okkkk, Made progress. Took the headlight cover off the bike to poke around to see if maybe I F'ed something up the few times that I was back there tinkering with the HID witch is now Scrapped! I found a connector that had loosened up. Must be the EWS sensor ring connector, plugged it back in and Vroooom fired right up. Heres a pic of the connector so you can check yours

IMAG0336.jpg
    bmwglenn and Coffee like this.
  3. Ryguy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 terra
    I have heard people say to unpluging the battery to "reset" your bike/car computer lots of times, never once have I seen it do anything.
  4. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Fastkx125. Just put a LED spottie on and bike has been a bitch to start. This may just be the culprit as I was digging around in there for a while.
  5. MaaaaaX Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900 R
    Hi there !
    I'm digging that thread because I have quite the same issue on my Nuda.
    Last week-end I installed a Xenon HID kit and put the ballast beetween the key connector and ECU (only place close to the front light where there is space !).
    I started to have trouble with the EWS yesterday at night. I made some tests, it's not over yet but it seems that it is working back when I take of the fuse of the HID kit.

What's strange to me is that it worked perfectly fine for almost two days, meaning starting and turning the engine off at least 4 times (I use it to go to work) ! And know the percentage of failure is much higher is I leave the HID kit on...
    Other point : when the system fails and I take off the fuse of the HID kit, it seems that it's not working back if I don't wait like 1 or 2 minutes. Do you know if there is something like a timing...?

And last question : in order to keep my HID kit (which provides me good light !) I'm thinking about installing a switch in order to turn on the lights only afterstart up. I see that you are talking about a dimmer and a system that is linked to the high lights, I don't understand clearly what it is, but it's just for your additionnal LED lights isn't it ?

Thanks for your help !
  6. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Fastkx,

I had the exact problem with the loose plug. It will do all kinds of things on the dash. I would get intermittent EWS error messages but most prominent was that the hazard triangle would light up and the bike wouldn't start. The picture doesn't show it but I zip tied it together like you did.

I suspected anomalous voltage being sensed by the ECU from my LED headlamp or grips. It turned out that this was the culprit. I envision a disgruntled Italian line worker just pushing the plug together far enough to barely make contact and saying to him or herself, "That'll drive BMW nuts trying to solve this"

[IMG]
  7. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    I think I had this issue. I had my bike out for the first time since last summer (I took out two sheep and got to try out the helicopter to the nearest trauma center) and converted over to the LED light with the fan over the winter. I'd was getting the EWS error turning the key between 20 and 95% of the time...and as soon as I unplugged the headlight it started working 100% of the time again

So, my theory is the fan on the LED is the culprit...leaking RF energy and interfering with the key system.

I figure I'm going to put a switch on the headlight and start it up after I get the bike running.
    DeLewis likes this.
  8. Eric Hamel Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Hi guys, I,m from Montreal and motorcycle season is starting,got my bike in a shop to get a booster plug installed,came out with a ews code...battery is fully charged,i have no Led lights....does anyone have a solution for me ?? I really need to ride...thanks for your input,
  9. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Get rid of that snake oil, make sure you have the latest firmware on the BMS-E and adaptation tables reset. Pulstar plugs and make sure the air box isn't letting dirt in and good to go.
  10. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Hmmm... Can I say I dont agree?
    None of what you've suggested effects an EWS code error.
    It depends on what Eric means by "came out with a ews code", come out of hibernation or came out of the shop with the error?

The BP and 911 have been my saving grace, the latest firmware is a failure and the pulstart plugs are the snake oil.
    The Canadians should be the first to know if the new firmware is solid, due in 2 or 3 weeks.
    Eric Im sorry., never had an ews error so i can't help but try this thread also
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ecu-issues-ground-strap.86512/
    glitch_oz likes this.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    EGGSACTLY!!
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Shorted battery to ecu? My guess would be that.. I suppose some wires could have got dislodged during the install.

If you can provide more info on the install, what parts were removed and where it is located etc, maybe some pictures.
  13. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Of course Paul you can say what you want. It's the collective opinions and experience that is the resource here.
    My comment was purely based on what Eric stated. Why would he want to install a booster plug? I can only assume that the machine is not running properly and he seeks a remedy. No other detail was given. He does that and it comes out of the shop with an EWS.
    My experience with several of these machines, both Terra and Strada over more than 3 years, has been that when quite new (say <20,000km) the engines do stumble and stall occasionally. This improves vastly as the engine runs-in. Mine has nearly 40k on it and it still does it occasionally. But it is a big thumper after all...
    My experience with 6 of these bikes with no "add-ons" has been that when the latest firmware is installed and adaptations have been rebuilt, no add-ons are necessary. I've also found that on each machine that has had Pulstar plugs installed, an enhancement in engine performance & responsiveness has been the result.
    I disagree with your comment about the Pulstar plugs being a snake oil. They are just an improved spark plug that assists with combustion, not an "add-on" like a booster plug which is trying to fool the ECU.
    Let me re-emphasize, all the stuff you need to get these bikes running really nicely was put on at the factory. You just need to have it configured properly by someone who knows what they're doing.
  14. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Other threads found on ews with the search engine, at the top
    ews.JPG
    Hopefully the ecu is ok. Can you see any arcing marks on the case?
  15. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Nev Sorry for derailing your EWS thread once more and
    Sussurf I dont mean to come across as a jackasss but

I would not have purchased the BP at this stage with the assumed fix just around the corner.

With the pulstars Yes I got sucked into the hype, went against local advice, fitted them and found virtually no benefit.
    Hilarious, don't know what I's xpecting. Been down this path before and at my age..... well should of known better.

The improved combustion comes from having the twin spark set up, (put on at the factory) there is little gain to be had after this, only possible tears.

IMHO These two products are both Snake Oil. Thank you for "Re-emphasize, all the stuff you need to get these bikes running really nicely was put on at the factory."
    Regards
  16. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Made my day, ...so I'm not the only one! :applause:
    PaulC and Johnn like this.
  17. Eric Hamel Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Hi guys, just a quick recap on my ews code ...the bike is still in the shop,no help from husqvarna,i tried the
    ground stap between the ecu and the negative battery post with no luck,i guess next step is the transponder by pass with the Hiss ring mentionned by Glitch.It would be of great help if i could find out every thing i need to order to get this done.
    I will keep you guys informed on how things go....
    Ps: my friends all have a great time calling me to go riding !!
  18. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Oops, just tripped over this...
    Here's the standalone thread of the sensor ring bypass via a Honda HISS pick-up ring.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ignition-transponder-bypass.43485/

Just to clear any confusion...this is NOT a general fix to eliminate EWS errors, far from it.
    BUT!!....if your problem is a damaged pick-up ring in any way, this fix will work just as well as a replacement original/ factory spare.
    Mark_H likes this.