Canadian TR650 owners with stalling issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by riverboy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    "Wouldn't it be nice..." ....dream away, friend....

Sweet Jeezaz...better NOT!! Those clowns can't even get a simple airbox right (see 1190 airbox issues, arrghhh)
  2. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Anyone contacted their dealer to have an ETA?
  3. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  4. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    I bought a young 2nd hand Strada that's had none of the fixes done to it and there's no stalling or misfiring.

There was a sh*tload of dust in the airbox and throttle though and this issue has to be addressed. Lots of posts are around about how. I've opted to improve the airbox seal and replace the filter with a better aftermarket unit. I'd say most of the dust arrived courtesy of the stock filter not sealing, probably having been twisted on installation.

In your shoes I'd go for a Unifilter or K&N and then monitor the situation with one of those snake cameras poked into the airbox from the filter opening. Look at the shoulder deep inside that rises to the mound at the throttle opening. Then look elsewhere around the horizontal join of the two halves of the box.
  5. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    If you look at the podmod instructions which glitch wrote up, you'll see that the OEM filter holder is hacked down a bit, and a swimming pool filter sock is put over the OEM filter holder as a pre-filter, and then the POD filter sits inside the airbox cavity. I have the same setup in my airbox. I check inside the airbox quite frequently (probably about every 500km) and also remove the pod filter and check inside the throttlebody while I'm there (it only takes about 5 minutes to get in there to have a look and put it all back together again), and I have almost no dust getting in there at all. The oiled pool filter on the OEM filter holder seems to stop about 95% of the dirt and dust entering the airbox. In about 15,000km I have not needed to clean my pod filter. I have replaced the pre-filter every 1000km or so. These cost about $1 each.
    PaulC and glitch_oz like this.
  6. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Only 6500k's here, 3 skimmer socks replaced (usually without any real need to do so) and still to see any dust at all on the pod-filter foam. Took it out twice to check the under-side as I couldn't believe the oiled pool filter mesh catching just about everything. Best part...it's all very quick, clean and straight forward. Add a spare oiled sock or 2 in a plastic bag under the seat, a quick change over can be done at the side of the road anytime/ anywhere, if needed.

I'll replace the 3 filter-door screws with some wing-screws as soon as I can find some long enough, this way there are not even tools needed to change over the pool-sock. A minute is all it takes.
  7. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

My solution to this was to get a biro, cut about a 1 inch length of it off to use as a spacer (the depth of the inset bolt hole in the filter door). Then I sourced a bolt which is 19mm longer than the stock item (40mm vs 21mm) with the same thread specs etc, and a 4mm Hex head. I only use the one bolt, in the top hole, because maintaining a 100% seal through the filter door is overkill with the podfilter in place, and even with the two bottom bolts missing, the door still maintains a seal. With the extra 20mm of length, the head sits proud of the door. Doesn't eliminate the need for tools, but an easily accessible 4mm hex isn't a great burden.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  8. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    ;-) Clever cookie!! And true enough...with the skimmer-sock in place, it doesn't need much extra "sealing", if any at all.
    I figured on 1 bolt each at the top and bottom being enough, the rest just needs a "shove-into-place"...if that.
    Still like the no-tools option too much to not give it a try....if I find something, I'll get a set for ya anyways... :-)
  9. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Has anyone had the Canadian recall done yet?
  10. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    No not yet !!.
    I've called my closest ktm dealer and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I've received no recall letter as of yet from KTM Canada. I've left multiple messages on KTM Canada's 1800# for customer service, but never ever received a call back.

So I just got off the phone with Safety Canada and they are concerneced why nothing has happened yet. They are going to contact KTM on my behalf and say WTF is wrong now with this recall....either way the guy is going to call me back.

I know one thing. Once this recall (if ever) is taken care of I'm selling this bike and running as far away from any KTM or BMW product for the rest of my life.

KTM and BMW make some fantastic machines...but the customer service from either company either at the corprate level or dealer level makes me fucking sick. Back to a Japanese brand for this guy.

If they offered a buy back similar to Volkswagen I'd take it and run. What ever they offer is probably higher then the resale value on this bastard bike....literally the worst decision I've ever made was to drop 10G on this thing.
  11. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 KLR650 , 07 Hammer, 2010 ST1300
    Just got off the phone with my local dealer and KTM/Husky said they just finally got the update from Italy. Although KTM/Husky have not figured out how they are going to implement the fix. It will be either removal of the ECM and send in for update or a software modification so dealers can program using KTM/Husky software. He thought because of low volume it would be more practical to send in ECM's to central point and use BMW software. He figured they would have something in the next 2 weeks. My local dealer KENCO has been super helpful and kept after these guys for the last year on my behalf. I also asked about the calibration of the ECM to the other sensors and he said that is not an issue unless the other sensors are defective or they have been monkeyed with. I think the end is near. Hell even with the glitch I still think the TR is a great bike, and still one of my favorites I have certainly had a lot worse.
    etotore likes this.
  12. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted!
  13. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    From the potential Australian recall thread:

Some news that is finally in black and white - well grey and off white!

Husky have been working with Magnetti Morelli the ECU manufacturer to resolve the stalling issue.

- subject to official factory approval - there will be a recall release at the start of April - not sure if this is worldwide or just Australia at this stage.

The update will be Husky mapping - depending on how well this is set up with the current dealers it may be good but also may be bad. Basically they have taken BMW out of the equation.

Stay safe 8-)
    Newfoundlander likes this.
  14. NLfireblade Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    They 'wanted' to help the customers out! Do they not HAVE to help customers? It's a safety recall.
  15. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    Got a call back from Transport Canada that confirming that letters are going out, the fix is going to be an ECU update.
    Geeza, duibhceK, johnsweet and 3 others like this.
  16. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I bought my bike used so will i get a letter? Are they using the registration as a database for sending out letters?
  17. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 KLR650 , 07 Hammer, 2010 ST1300
    If you bought your bike used go to your KTM/Husky dealer and register your name and serial number with them to ensure you get your letter.
  18. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Any new news?

I contacted KTM North America in California and they still claim there is no resolution nor any known time frame for one.

As I recall Canada has had one false start already on this some time back, without a real fix.
  19. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    any news on your recall? Here in the states we have received letters telling us to return the bikes to a Husky dealer, they remove ECU, send it to Magnati Marelli, and then back to dealers for install and adaption of software. All to happen within 7 to 10 business days.
  20. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I just called KTM Canada to get my name and address associated with my bikes VIN so i should be getting my letter shortly.

The guy told me i have to bring it to the local Husqvarna dealer to get this taken care of. I told him we dont have one in my province any more. He wasnt sure what they will do. I guess i will find out when i get my letter.