Canadian TR650 owners with stalling issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by riverboy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    John, BMW holds the key, they control and own copyright on the firmware, Husky/KTM are negligent in that they failed to ensure all machines were updated to the latest firmware version (dated 2012) when they delivered machines to customers. The last firmware version does not have the stumble per se but there are a couple of aspects which could be improved as has been done on the G650GS/Sertao
  2. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    So how do we as owners of a Husqvarna TR650 get BMW to support us and change the firmware? A fatality, I hope not. Improving the G650S/Sertao must have happened by recall. Is this our only recourse? http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline, I have called several times, nothing happens.
  3. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Yep, and most of us filled out our complaint forums online too.
  4. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Still waiting on my local KTM/Husky dealer to address the Canadian recall. They said it would be ready early this week though. According to the service department it took forever for Husky to send them the passcode to allow the TR to be updated by their system......not sure if that's the truth or they are bull shitting me, either way hope it's fixed. The service department also said they had to wait for parts to arrive....again not sure what parts were required by the recall....maybe the rotax was replaced by ktm's LC-4 engine lol.

Soon as I get it back Ill update this thread for sure.

From speaking to,some of the techs it sounds like the Canadian Government put out the recall before Husky was ready or willing to address the problem. Either way I'm pretty stoked to possibly get my bike back better/safer than before.

For all the other Canadian TR owners get your bikes to,your dealers!! Maybe then Husky will see the big picture and help our counterparts in other Countries without their version of a recall being needed.
    johnsweet likes this.
  5. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
  6. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wonder how far of a drive it is to the nearest Canadian dealer?
  7. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    My thoughts exactly, for me it's almost the same distance, the dealer I purchased from is in Danbury CT. 430 miles and Halifax, Nova Scotia is 441 miles. It's a no brainer if I can get the updated firmware in Canada. If we can do this update anyone traveling by my house in Mount Desert, Maine has a free place to stay for one night with shower, toilet, plus kitchen. RSVP
    mag00 likes this.
  8. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Damn, maybe I need to check on dealers in Ontario!
    johnsweet likes this.
  9. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Just did: Two Wheel Motorsport, Guelph. 189 miles. Should I call them?
    johnsweet likes this.
  10. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    If you take the ferry from Bangor Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia that should knock off a few hours of driving. Unless you already took that into account.
  11. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'd love to take the Bluenose but it stopped running years ago. Regardless my dream motorcycle trip is to ride the north shore of the St Lawrence Sea Way to Kagaska then get on the ferry to Blanc Sablon, then across to Newfoundland then down to catch the ferry in Placentia to Sydney then to Halifax. If I allowed a month would that be enough time?
  12. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I called Freedom Cycle in Halifax today and asked about me traveling to their shop for an ECU update. He didn't say yes or no just asked for my vehicle identification number so I sent him that via email. He did say he did not know if a Canadian dealer could update a TR650 purchased in the USA. I'll wait and see, keep your fingers crossed.
    Scott Jones likes this.
  13. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    My dealer still has had no info other than confirming that my bike qualifies for whatever resolution gets released.
    Emailed gc.ca for more info/updates months ago with no reply....

I mailed my ECU to KTM last summer and have their latest firmware and it's just as stall-ish. Looks like I'll never unplug the Dobek.
  14. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    TRZ, Didn't your bike stop stalling when you lambda-shifted your mixture?
  15. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I installed the LC2 because I wanted the ability to log what was going on. My Terra runs brilliantly and had since the installation about a 18 months ago.
  16. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    It is not surprising there is still a problem, mailing in the BMS-E is not a solution, the adaptions need to be reset as well. It may be o\possible for the dealer to do the reset but when the BMS-E is returned the machine needs to be run until the fan cuts in to rebuilt the adaption table

Beyond firmware updates, adaption reset and rebuild is a normal process when ever components are replaced so it is important to have that capability
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hey Wayne, do you know if the GS911 has the ability to change the temp of when the fan kicks on?
  18. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere

I might be able to tell you by the end of next week. I bit the bullet and ordered one after I heard about the additional features enabled for the Terra in teh latest version.
    mag00 likes this.
  19. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The short answer is no, the reason is there is no settable parameter (coding) for fan in the BMS-E firmware, diags devices only give you the features/test routines which are programmed into the ECU. I have noticed the chatter re reducing temp on the Terra and considering there are 200,000 ish Rotax 650's in BMW bikes which have not shown any need to do so the question is why is anyone wasting time on trying to do so. In terms of the fan and adding a second fan, the fan on there does a great job and a second fan is a large electrical load which is not needed.
    PaulC and isldtime like this.
  20. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Well, good question, and from a general engine temp perspective, the Terra system is flawed from the factory. You could find any number of overheating topics here and adv, and lots of talk about burping.

Once the temp sensor triggers the fan, yes, it does a great job. But running slow on the trails, my temp reaches nearly boiling or past boiling (pressurized system) before the fan kicks on. It needs to keep the coolant in the radiator colder than the engine temp to work, it does not do that at this time, on my bike and many others.

Some have opted for the T-stat delete, some use waterless coolant, but the problem does exist in the TR650, not sure what the BMW does. Does the temp on your bike run way past the thermostat setting before the fan kicks in?

Don't know about anybody else's bike, but mine could benefit from the fan coming on sooner, before the bike is near overheat.
    PaulC likes this.