Canadian TR650 owners with stalling issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by riverboy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Sorry but I beg to differ, the system on the Terra is the same as all the 650's yet it is only the Terra owners claiming the system is flawed

Are you saying the temp light in the dash comes on before the fan ?, fan kicks in at 100c and dash lamp at 110c

I have pushed the Dakar here in extreme heat including fire storm conditions, I have a smaller fan than the Terra and it all works as designed

All this talk of Thermostat deletes and fans not kicking in is idle chatter, it is not what I have seen and real time recorded here on the Terra
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I guess I could try a new temp sensor. I will wait until I acquire a gs911 to get real time temp readings. But yes, there is a problem with it, and many TR's from what I have read. Some don't think it is a problem and live with it.

The way a thermostat works, when water temp in engine reaches "X" temp, it opens and lets cooler water from exchanger through to bring engine temp down to a predetermined temp by the thermostat.

My guage does not have a numeric readout, it is in bars. The temp rises to over 3/4 bars before the fan kicks on, then the temp drops rapidly to half once fan kicks on. If driving down the road, this does not happen, fan never kicks on and temp is always at half. This is indication of a bad sensor or bad switching point, the second of which I believe is the issue. I do not think there are two sensors in my bike, I think the one for the temp readout is the one that controls the switching point as well.

That means, changing the sensor will not affect when the fan Kicks on. Thus the question of if the GS911 had that reset/adjustment ability. If it doesn't the aux fan and temp sensor/switch in the radiator is the way to go.

Every time my bike starts to climb in temp I get nervous. I may or may not be watching it the time the T stat is stuck and the motor boils over.

A sticky thermostat operates differently. My Omni just recently went through that. Until first warmup it would stick. I would let the car warm up a bit, stop, squish hoses and try to force hot water through the t stat. then it would open and the flow would allow it to work proper. A frozen radiator acts different and a clogged radiator different.

With no T stat, temps never reach normal operation.

If it sticks closed, it will just overheat the car, or you can run the heater and hope it cools enough.

My TR650 has an issue, it is not the T stat, it is not a clogged radiator, it is the fan switching on at too high of a temp.

Those with the t-delete will still have the issue. The initial cooling provided by no t-stat may postpone the higher temp until bike is rolling, like for traffic, and appear to have fixed the problem, but the fan will not kick on any earlier on slow trail work. Once on, it will cool down fine, but without the t stat, it will cool even more, and create extreme heat cycling, which is not optimal for an engine.

When my bike is running on the hotter side, the radiator is hot as well, until the fan kicks in and then everything is fine. Those who have added the aux fan have no issues. I suppose if one didn't want the extra fan, you could just build a separate circuit for the existing fan, and put a temp switch in the rad. Probably how it should have been designed.

I hope I described the condition well enough for you to get what is going on with the TR650 cooling.
    PaulC likes this.
  3. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I just received notice from NHTSA the Husqvarna TR 650 has been recalled in the USA. KTM North America is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 Husqvarna TR650 Terra and Strada motorcycles manufactured Jan 1, 2012 to Dec 31, 2013 The affected motorcycles may unexpectedly stall. A stall increases the risk of a crash. Remedy: Is still under development The manufacturer has not provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact KTM customer service at 1-440-985-3535
  4. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    WayneC, I don't know what the data you have says, but it seems obvious that the temperature should come on at a slightly lower temperature than the fan. I.e. The thermostat would open at 100C and the fan would only come on above 110C. This keeps the fan from running before the engine is wasn't and the thermostat is open ... And it keeps the fan from coming on too often when running down the road.

Do you have data the shows the normal range of operating temp of the coolant and also the temp that the fan kicks in?
    drzcharlie and mag00 like this.
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    John, good to hear, the wheels of Govt turn slowly at times but if you play the game they can sometimes be made to turn and work for you
    johnsweet likes this.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Roger, yes I have the data but I am not going to clog this thread up any further with OT chatter, simply understand that the tables and temp sensors cut in points etc are all the same as the other BMW 650 models and probably more, what is being claimed here at CH is misguided to say the least
  7. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere

Couldn't find any options to change the temp sensor setting, so Wayne was right on that one.

The GS911 did help me diagnose the problem I had with my LED auxiliary lights. Whenever I turned the key on while the LEDs were on, the red warning triangle would appear on the dash and the bike would not start. The GS911 showed a history of ring antenna fault codes when I used it. But non were present at the time. So I turned off the ignition, switched on the LED lights and turned the ignition back on. The error on the dash showed up as usual, but now the GS911 also showed an active ring antenna fault code. Turns out I ran the wiring for the auxiliary lights very close to the antenna and it probably messes up the signal. I could reroute the wiring, but I think I'll leave it as it is. It seems pretty useful as an anti-theft measure.
  8. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Well after a few long months and free winter storage lol...I got my Terra back from the dealer.....WOOOOOO .Like most people on here it isn't the same dealer I bought from when Husky was sold by BMW.

They said the re-call was performed on my Terra but it's weird that I never received a letter in the mail from Husky or anything. As soon as the recall was on the Canadian Gov't web site I dropped my Terra off and they said they would take care of it for me.

Even still both the Canadian and American safety sites still say there is no fix or official remedy by KTM/Husky. Either way I'm glad to have it back.

The service department wouldn't tell me what they did in detail or what version of MAP was installed (which I thought was pretty weird!!). The service manager just told me the long wait was due to Husky having to send them the special adaptor cable to hook the Terra up to KTM's computer and download the new Map. All he said was the ECU was fixed with the latest software. I didn't even see a work order, he just handed my keys back.

They didn't even clear the "wrench" symbol off my dash so I'm not going to hold my breath on if it is actually fixed.

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, just got new plate stickers and a safety inspection done yesterday. I also gave it a fresh oil change with 10w-50 AMS brand oil.....I like that stuff.

well I did do a wheelie in the dealer parking lot on the way to putting it on my trailer. 1st gear power wheelies seem easier lol

I will say that it starts very easy now (currently have 11,000 km's) a lot easier than when I dropped it off in December. It was 5 deg C (40 F) yesterday and the engine was running before my finger left the starter button. Before it would take a few good cranks before it caught.

After the oil change I let it idol till the fan cut in. It idled pretty great the entire time. When cold the idol stayed at 1700ish, slowly dropped to 1600 for a few minutes and finally settled to 1500ish rpm the entire time. Only once did I see it drop and it was about 2 seconds before the fan cut in, it dropped to 1450 and quickly back to 1500 and remained steady.

RPM's climb very quick when a shot of gas is given, with no load of course.

When I get a chance to take it for a good ride, i'll update this again.

Fingers crossed
    johnsweet and LED like this.
  9. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/153ad0109ccb3bd7, here is what NHTSA sent me back on March 25th, I spoke with Kevin Peterson last week at KTM North America kpeterson@ktmnorthamerica.com and said owners would receive a letter when they had figured it out what to do and how to fix it. Hopefully they got yours fixed right and ours will be next :cheers:
  10. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Pretty poor customer service from the Dealer not to clear the service indicator or ask if you would like it done, it takes all of about 5 minutes

There will have to be a further update done beyond updating to the last released version of firmware to incorporate the changes done to the Sertao. The way KTM/Husky are still scratching their heads over what needs to be done is hilarious, the have all been told Dealers were not updating firmware to the latest version when the machines were sold and it does not seem to have sunk into their heads.
  11. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 KLR650 , 07 Hammer, 2010 ST1300
    It's here! Scott from Transport Canada called me today and KTM has an official fix for the Canadian recall. Registered Canadian owners will get their notice soon. KTM apologized for the delay but they had to work out issues on tools to do the repair? Scott said it may take a month to get the letters out but it appears the issue has finally been dealt with.
    mcalistr and PaulC like this.
  12. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    Confirmed, got the same call today.
  13. mcalistr Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    Awesome stuff- thanks for the update!!
  14. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    How did they know how to contact you? Was it through motor registration, transport Canada or through the bill of sales on file from Husky?
    My original dealer lost Husky with the sale to ktm.

I haven't placed my complaint online, seen the recall online and brought my bike to the dealer when the recall released in November.

Long story short the new Husky dealer had my bike for 4 months to perform the so called recall and I got it back last month. They said they did it but I'd bet money they they lied and never done shit. There is absolutely no change to my bike as far as the stalling, idling and over heating goes...it's the same or worse.

They gave it back with no associated paperwork or even a completed work order for me to see...the wrench is still on my dash....so ya I truly believe they never done shit and just said it was done to get rid of my Terra. Especially since ktm only just found a solution to the problem

How do I get on the contact list, please advise.

Either way I just filed my complaint online. #2016-1154

Cheers!!
  15. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I filed my compliant back in October and at that time Scott actually called me to discuss the issue. It was the first Transport Canada had heard of the issue and I told him I was not the only one and to check out this forum. The next day the recall was issued. When I read that you had dropped off your bike and fixed it i wondered because my dealer was told by KTM they were working on it but never solved it yet. maybe they used your bike as a test bike? Anyhow if your stalling is fixed all is good in TR650 land.
  16. DenGen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1974 DT250
    You're likely correct and they did bugger all. https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng I think this is where you file the complaint which should put you onto the recall radar.
  17. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry, but also check with your dealer that KTM has your current address and phone number. All dealers have access to that database using your serial number.
  18. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Either Husky/KTM Canada have realised there is updated firmware already available or they have had BMW release a new version, the only way that owners will be able to determine which is to get the firmware version numbers off an updated machine with a GS911 as we did to work out all the version numbers
    It does sound like they did nothing as we know from machines here in Oz the last release of firmware does perform quite well
  19. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Anybody else got a recall notice? I haven't got called nor did I receive a letter yet but I've been the owner of my bike for only a month and a half...
  20. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Wow
    It's been awhile for me.
    Yes just got my notice today. Got the word out lets see what happen.

Dave:cheers:
    johnsweet likes this.