Canadian TR650 owners with stalling issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by riverboy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Got a letter from Husqvarna today in the mail. Thought it was my reall but nope. It was a stop riding immediately notice!! 20160628_134342.jpg 20160528_152235.jpg
  2. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
  3. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Oh I fully plan too.
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    That is interesting as they are now specifying the same problem as the one which generated the G650GS/Sertao recall, it confirms that beyond the failure of Dealers to ensure machines were updated to the latest available firmware that the latest firmware is subject to the same "stall with clutch in" problem on the G650GS/Sertao

Husqvarna and BMW will be discussing who is going to foot the bill for BMW to implement the firmware changes as per the G650GS/Sertao update
  5. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    WayneC,

You have been touting that the lack of latest firmware as the root cause of the stalling and issues with these bikes.
    However, many of us know that even with the latest firmware some bikes still have issues, glad to see you are finally seeing this.

The bummer about this notice is it is a "get out of jail free" card for Husky.

Yup we have a problem, nope we dont have a fix, dont ride your bike...
    We have warned you, you can't hold us liable now if anything happens.

On the plus side, I hope this means a real fix is in the works.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    My outlook has not changed, read more carefully what I and others have said re the latest firmware currently available, it resolves 90+% of problems but that we had identified further changes were needed

There were doubts as to whether the "stalling when clutch in" issue with the G650GS/Sertao would apply to the Terra/Strada as the Terra/strada has a direct input to the BMS-E for the clutch switch where the G650GS/Sertao does not so firmware for the 2 models would be expected to be different in that area. THe Canadian letter seems to indicate they have found problems which means there are engineers working on the issues and that has to be in Germany

Where problems occur on machines with the latest firmware occur too often firmware is blamed where the faults are not firmware related, too often the same occurs with the 650 BMs, the most common one is where the Idle Actuator and the associated air ways are affected by dirt.
    Newfoundlander likes this.
  7. AlbertaStrada Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Oh god…just bought a 2013 Strada yesterday…418km's on it. Should I be in touch w/Husky, KTM, or BMW (I live just outside Edmonton)? What news; blast. I did not buy from a Husky dealer. My oh my...

20160628_135549-2.jpg
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Welcome to the club! :cheers:

No worries, the bike is still a great bike. Spark plugs (pulstar or brisk) help many of the bikes.
  9. DenGen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1974 DT250
    Has anyone in Canada gotten any kind of info from KTM regarding the recall? I'm uncertain if I need to call the North American number and file a complaint with them as I've done that with Transport Canada. I really do not want the letter that says I shouldn't ride the bike because that removes all responsibility from the manufacturer and I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop riding the best bike I've ever owned. Starting to feel like I should hide in the weeds until I hear some thing positive, should that ever happen.
  10. mcalistr Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    I have received nothing to date.
  11. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

Truly, this is not something to worry about. The stalling problem seems to plague a few folks terribly, but the majority of owners seem to not have much of an issue with this. I have had it stall once or twice, and even knowing that, I would buy the bike again in a heartbeat--owned since new January '13.

Many of the bikes have the most recent MOSS update which seems to help.

You have a great bike, and nothing significant to worry about--count the complaints online, divide by the total units sold and you start to see that the percentage of heavily affected units is rather small. That said, it was significant enough for KTM to fix it--huzzah!

There will most likely be a software update from KTM in a few months, and that will should take care of any remaining stalling issues.
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Bike is generally good, but that clutch cable routing needs some urgent attention.
  13. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    So I just emailed the Government of Canada in regards to the Recall set forth by the Government : TC ID# 2015455

Asking them basically what's on the GO!!

It's been over a year since the recall was set forth by the Government. It's been over 6 months since I received a "Stop Riding Immediately!!" notice from Husqvarna and still no action.

Spoke to someone who works in auto insurance asking if someone had a notice from Husqvarna telling them to stop riding but they got in an accident would they be covered? The answer was basically nope if the insurance company knew about the notice!! So every time I ride this bike we are taking our chances, basically not insured is what I got.

My (some what) local dealer or any other dealer I contacted on the East Coast of Canada has no idea about a recall or anything pending. Nor even the desire to help us out because of the red head. What in the F%*K is going on when people don't like gingers, pretty sure my bike has a soul and feelings.
    Newfoundlander and PaulC like this.
  14. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    PaulC, johnsweet, LED and 3 others like this.
  15. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Good news! Would be interesting to find out exactly what the differences are between the current ECUs and the replacements. The fact that they are replacing the entire ECU seems to suggest the problem is not entirely in the software.
  16. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    An Autoscan with a GS911 on a replacement will tell very quickly what the differences are
  17. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    This is just speculation at this point but my guess is it's a different ECU all together and Map that dosent need BMW computers or their software to update. Probably a modified KTM ecu that their computers can connect too.
  18. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    That would be very difficult to do as the BMSE has to interface with the DASH/ABS/Alarm ECUs which are all BMW, then there is EWS controlled by BMW
  19. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    So what dealership would we go to? KTM or BMW?
  20. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    It would be best for Canadian owners to pick up the phone and talk to the safety Authority and ask them, the recall update on their web site is worth reading

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/tc/2015/55396r-eng.php#details-details

When you look at that you will notice they indicate there are only 66 machines there, Husky/KTM Dealers are unlikely to have the diagnostics systems required to do updates so the info suggests they have decided to do reprogramming at a central location which may or may not require sending Dash as well as BMSE for reprogramming. The only way to understand the details would be to talk to the safety authority