Canadian TR650 owners with stalling issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by riverboy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 KLR650 , 07 Hammer, 2010 ST1300
    I had a very bad experience with my bike stalling while attempting a left hand turn in heavy traffic. I was very fortunate the oncoming truck was quick on the brakes and was able to stop 2 feet short of flatten me out. I was inspired to call every BMW and Husky contact I could, to resolve the issue with my bike once and for all. I had no interest from either company to help me. After discussing my problem with a friend he suggested filing a safety complaint with Transport Canada. They have a very straight forward form on their website that I completed. The next day a got a call from them and they are interested in helping resolve this problem. They would also like to hear from other Canadian bike owners that are experiencing the same problem. It's worth a try so here is the link to their site. https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/7/pcdb-bdpp/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng Thanks Ben
    Chopperbob, PaulC, LED and 1 other person like this.
  2. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Hi Riverboy and welcome. Sorry to here this and I am pleased your ok....but everyone on here knows exactly what you are talking about....have a look around here there is a lot of chatter on this topic.

Is your bike new and/or where did you get it from?, once I have the answer to this I will advise your next best step.

Check out my thread http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/random-stall-–-a-silver-bullett-or-as-close-as-we-may-get-tr650-husky.80593/

Your most likely wasting time filing complaints, but give it a go.

Cheers
    Kiwiape
  3. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350

we have done the same thing here in the USA riverboy, they are just protecting there jobs, nothing gets done, I filed a complaint with the US DepT of Trans, National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. I have here a piece of paper (Vehicle Owner's Questionnaire) with phone # 1-888-DASH-2-DOT www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline, they are just shuffling papers, I'm going kiwiape's route, new pulstar plugs with new injector, good luck, don't hold your breath
  4. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    Submitted to Transport Canada over a year ago, nothing happened.
  5. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    Someone will need to be injured or worse . If it happens in US ,I would expect, if it could be proven that an accident happened due to stalling...simply a witness would do ie truck driver in above episode ktm could be financially blasted out of north america....Punitive damages....ouch..
    Ktm is now fully aware of a potentially lethal problem that has be presented so many times...

And seems to be doing nothing about it. A court would be brutal.

They must either fix the problem globally or buy the bikes back.
  6. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I have ordered a Wuka King as a patch fix, as my bike only does this when it is very hot. The point of submitting a complaint with the government is that it puts more pressure on the manufacture than i possibly can. Transport Canada did take the time to call me and ask me to submit photos of the bike along with the serial number and transport Canada decal. I also offered my bike to them for testing in Vancouver BC (before I install the Wuka) if they wanted to duplicate the problem. Like I said in the original post it is worth an shot. Nick780 if you have already submitted they do not have you in the data base as I was told I was the first complaint. It would sure be nice if one of the manufactures stepped up and supported the bikes software for future maintenance. My understanding is that under Canadian regulations all Transport Canada can do is ask the manufacture to fix the problem, until someone is injured or dies directly from the defect. The Canadian government does not have the same mandate powers as the USA. Once an accident does happen the manufacturer can be sued, the filing a complaint, will ultimately help the complainant, only if an official compliant was logged at an official government department. This comes down to a business decision of the manufacture, is it less money to pay out a civil case or fix the problem? Because of the sale you also have the question of who's problem is it? Fortunately this type of logic did not work for GM in their ignition switch recall and they are paying for it now.
    Hey! you can't blame KTM and BMW for not supporting a bike that is better than anything else they have built in this class. I have owed over 50 bikes and the Terra 650 (even with it's quirks) hits the spot and is still on my favourite list.
  7. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Dont waste your money on a Wuka King, or any other snake oil products, it will not do anything for you on these models, check the firmware version on the bike, if need be reach out to the BMW community in Canada and see who can beam into it with a GS911 and do an autoscan to get all the ECU details then a path forward can be worked out
  8. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    The trouble with that, is that there are a few of us that the wuka works wonders for. 50k+ km's and the bike runs perfectly. Take the wuka off and a stumble off idle happens. These bikes don't always react the same. It's odd.
    PaulC likes this.
  9. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There are number of reasons they dont all react the same, one is that it is chalk and cheese comparing the early firmware with the final version, there is also the fact people are making changes without resetting adaptions which means they will have problems.

Yes there are one or two other aspects which still need to be worked out but spoofers are not the answer, the Pulstar capacitive plug will do far more
  10. riverboy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    johnsweet, mag00 and PaulC like this.
  11. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    My hat is off to the Canadian owners who complained to Transport Canada, they were clearly very effective in presenting the problems and have opened the way for everyone else around the world, I think someone needs to buy them a beer or three

What will occur from here is Husky/KTM will have BMW engineer and release an updated ECU file into the OSS system and hopefully a letter go to owners when the update is ready. What would be helpful is if owners who have the update done ask for the operations report off OSS as that will tell us the firmware release number
    DeLewis and PaulC like this.
  12. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Dropped my Terra off at my local KTM/Husky dealer this week in Halifax. Pointed out the recall and they said drop it off and we will call you when your bike is fixed. Now that its December i dont care how long it takes, just want a safe reliable bike again.
    Not even sure how they are going to tackle the recall, dont care really lol.
  13. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750

:popcorn:
  14. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Once Freedom Cycle in Halifax calls me saying my Terra is ready, ill be asking them what the fix was. Since the recall stated on the Government of Canada website doesn't explain the fix, I'll be asking what the recall by KTM entailed.

If they will give me the op's report and the firmware release number i'll post it on this thread.

I have no idea how long it will take, neither do they. Since it's December I'm in no rush to have it back. Being Canada and all most dealers priority are to service Snow mobiles, quads and side by side's for the winter month's. So I'm not expecting an a phone call anytime soon.
    DJOV likes this.
  15. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Well my Terra has been there a month and they havent touched it :( oh well free winter storage lol.

According to the service department they are actually waiting for KTM to tell them what to do because they dont know. Sounds to me the Canadian Govt is forcing this on them and they have no idea how they are going to tackel it.

Ill update again once i hear anything else.
    mcalistr and LED like this.
  16. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    that sux...:popcorn:
  17. NLfireblade Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    I'm curious about this. My bike will stumble off idle but only when cold. I have to overrev when starting off. Once completely warmed up, it's fine. I'm in NL and if I can drop the bike off to have it fixed up, I will!
  18. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Same thing here, if I warm it up before I take off it seems to never stall, I'd like to get the ECU re-programmed as this sounds like the way to go other then the LC-2 or the GS-911, and it seems like such a simple fix. James Rideout let us know how you make out with the dealer. Your dealer is closer to me then my dealer in CT
  19. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The "stumble off idle when cold" is the fact the machine moves to closed loop quickly when first started, if that is the only problem then you are likely to be on the latest version of firmware, it would be worth confirming that with either Dealer Diagnostics or a GS911

John, GS911 is diagnostics only, it is not relevant to reprogramming, as per NLFireblade if the only problem you have is when cold just let it warm up a little more. Checking the version is worthwhile though, going to the expense of LC2 will also do very little/nothing for only the cold engine issue
  20. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will we ever be able to re-program this ECU and eliminate the lean stumble? KTM- BMW holds the key, such an easy fix, to change some software that may stop the death of a rider is in my opinion gross negligence