instrument dash leaking and EWS Error

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Rickyme, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650, WR300 both 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    When it rains my dash normally mists up but i dont ride much if it rains. last week I left it in the rain all day on a work site and now have a heap of problems.
    Firstly it wont start, red triangle and EWS error. ive charged the battery and load tested it so it doesnt seem to be that. Ive also checked the wiring behind the light and all plugs seem to be connected properly.
    If I use the 2nd key after leaving it for a night it will start but only once, if I try again the red triangle and EWS come back on.
    Before the continual EWS the high beam light would stay on, blinkers affect the rev counter needle and oil light flashing on.
    I called my dealer and he said needs to go to BMW, I called a local BMW repairer who has a MOSS tool but my or may not work, plus about 4 hrs work maybe an instrument panel ... a lot of cash.
    Could the fogged up instrument panel affect the EWS ?
    Any one have any ideas?
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    The dash electronics, the ECU, and the ignition all work together to allow the bike to start. All 3 components are a coded and matched set. If any one of the 3 components don't communicate correctly, then EWS.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Calling WayneC.....
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    It sounds like the water in the dash is preventing proper operation and would need opening up

The basics are the Dash reads the key and sends the info to the BMS-E via CAN BUS and if the key matches it sets "start OK" signal. The BMS-E firmware then responds to the pressing of the start button and fires the starter motor etc

From my perspective it is a horrible way of doing things. On one of the BMW models I was asked to look at recently the Key/Ring sender wired direct back to the BMS rather than to the dash so only one ECU is involved which seemed a much smarter way of designing it.
  6. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Ok cool so would I be able to open the dash myself ?
  7. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Do others experience the fogging as well? Kinda worrying that the dash isn't sealed properly. I haven't had any issues but don't have many opportunities to ride in the rain.
  8. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have not noticed fogging when riding in the rain.
  9. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    It is a fallacy to believe these components are completely sealed, on the lower side there will be a pressure equalisation vent, there is similar on the BMS-E engine management ECU, the upper joining flanges however should be sealed. Why the fogging has occurred would be a good question and it sounds like there is water leakage from above leaving a pool of water in the dash
  10. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    I had fogging and got worried about it. Popped it open and threw a desiccant pack (the water absorbing little baggie that comes with new shoes and the like) and it never fogged again.

And now I need to open it all up again and fix that damned "s" button...
    nev.. and DeLewis like this.
  11. jrmayor Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra TR650
    An issue I have found on my bike is that the key isn't close enough to the security ring to be detected. Try placing one of the keys right on the ring while using the other to turn the ignition. I usually just press my key into the ignition when i turn it on. Once the bike is started it isn't an issue. Kind of a hidden "security" even if someone does get my key.
  12. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Thanks all, what does the security ring look like please
  13. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Latest report is that the dash has dried out a bit and the bike starts most of the time . Its still pretty foggy so Ive taken it off and think ill open it up to completely dry it there are small droplets of water as well.
    Does any one think there any reason I shouldnt apply some sealant to the edges when I close it up?
    It may be as Wayne thinks that the rain pooling on the clear perspex may be the prob.
  14. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Maybe a thin strip of lanolin grease from a small tube when closing it up. We use it a lot for water craft and to keep fork seals moist.
    Definitely check the perspex and use something else in that case.
  15. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    SO opened up the dash and I think the buttons or the little screens are the fault, hard to imagine water would get past the flange between the two halves.
    on the plus side its very easy to open it up and I think Ill just put a plastic zip lock bag over it when the weather is dodgy
    Wouldnt be an issue if Husky didnt put the imobiliser electronics in there
  16. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

That sounds like you have a defective ring... errr antenna.
  17. jrmayor Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra TR650
    Probably, but the closest dealer is 150 miles away and it doesn't bother me.
  18. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Probably good to put a warning out there to not hose down the instrument panel when washing or to take precautions when a long way from home to protect the dash from moisture.
    Given the absolute nature of the EWS error and its vulnerability to moisture I would be very careful around river crossings etc and carry a very small torx key so you can take the dash apart and dry it out. I know one will be finding its way to my away from home toolkit.
    DeLewis likes this.
  19. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    As your fault appears to be only when it is wet and the bike is ok when dried out I would do the following before resorting to a dealer.
    Open up the Dash, dry it all out properly, seal it up when reassembling, use Silica Gel if you can.

See how it goes, but it is highly likely you can fix the issue yourself before something more serious like permanent water damage occurs.