USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Got mine back yesterday after one week. Seems to run good. It now idles at 1600 rpm instead of 1500 rpm. Sometimes there is a bit of a lag between slow shifts. About 10 miles into my test ride the low fuel light came on. The trip odo and the fuel used settings had been reset to zero. Total mileage seemed correct and the clock was still way off.

So at the gas station while trying to get to the total mileage again, the button broke. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Almost 25,000 miles. But the display is on clock so I can't really tell you exactly.
  2. Bob McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra TR650

I'm sure you've already found this MadDog, but here is a link to my fix for the button:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/dash-repair.43926/page-2#post-577477

It's still working well.
    turtlemoye likes this.
  3. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
  4. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Picked up the Strada. Confirmed that my ECU was sent to MI not Italy. Short ride impression is that I've got a flat spot from 3000 - 4800 rpm compared to the AF-XIED set at 8. With the AF-XIED it had good response and acceleration from 3k to 5k but not as much as stock above that. With the new map there seems to be more acceleration (perhaps) from 4800 and up but it may be just because it's a bit anemic below that. I'll give it another several hundred miles before I pass final judgement. When starting the engine, idling and pulling the clutch coming to a stop it seems to be stable.

Anyone else experiencing the flat spot 3000 - 4800 and, if so, did it improve after additional miles?
  5. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    That's one hell of a flat spot. Hope you get it sorted out.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    isldtime, johnsweet and glitch_oz like this.
  7. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    PaulC likes this.
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Welcome to the modern world where business decisions are made in one country but the consumer legal liabilities lie in other countries

There is blame all round, Pierrer has a reputation of playing the game harder than it should be played, BMW were concerned their knowledge and experience on EFI did not go into the hands of their biggest competitor and then the Regulatory Authorities did not do their homework to determine what actually occurred and did not force BMW to ensure machines were all updated and the further problems in the BMS-E as per the G Series recalls were addressed. No credit to any of them as no one acted in the consumer interest. Keep in mind that the sale of Husqvarna was announced in January 2013 just as these machines were being delivered to Dealers for sale to customers so both Pierrer and BMW knew support would be problematic to say the least and the Dealers were equally let down in the process on the diagnostics systems they purchased. It is only the pressure you guys generated that finally achieved any outcomes even if it is a little belated.
  9. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Shipping to Michigan is good news considering it could have gone to Italy...
    I doubt I'll do it to my 2014 though.

What sort of gearing are you running WayneC?
    Mines at one tooth lower counter sprocket, stock rear sprocket.

Being that it's not a very peppy motor overall until it gets on the power curve at 6K-ish, a flat spot seems right.
    Most BMW boxers have this same attribute. A fuel nanny or plug usually quells that.

I don't expect alot out of this motor, but very happy with it's smoothness.
    The one-less tooth seems to bring the revs in mid gears up just about enough to bring it up on the pipe quicker.
    That and a Wuka plug makes it about all it can be IMO.

2014 Terra
    stock air filter
    Wuka plug
    one tooth less counter sprocket
  10. Gravityfednick Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    I'm new here but I just bought a 2013 TR650. Before I went to look at it, I stopped into my local Husky dealer to ask if they knew anything about the bike. They had just received paperwork for the recall that week. So, I bought the bike, which is equiped with a Booster Plug and an EJK. If I understood correctly, the recall work was them removing the ECU and sending it back to Magnetti Marell for a software update. I dropped the bike off last week and got a call that it was done yesterday. I'm really new to all of this and this is my first fuel injected street legal bike. I just came across this forum before buying the bike and wanted to share my experience.
    LED likes this.
  11. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I got a call from Palmer Motorsports in Denver, NC letting me know that my bike was ready to be picked up. So 10 days start to finish isn't bad at all. Unfortunately I will not be able to pick it up until early next week but I'll try to let everyone know how it does. Truthfully I haven't ridden the thing in about 6 months so my memory could be a touch foggy.
  12. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    After riding another 50 miles I've discovered that the engine runs and pulls fine between 3k and 4.8k rpm as long as you don't open the throttle more than about 50%. It only seems to go flat if the throttle is opened more than that. I'm guessing that it may be lean in that range for EPA purposes. I may have to reinstall the AF-XIED.
  13. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Dont automatically assume it is lean, it may be either rich or lean, you will only know if logging is done

The important part is any probs after update need reporting to Husky/KTM NA & NHTSA, otherwise owners will not get any benefit from updates

What is known about this update is that they tested it on 6 machines and from there they were considering the release, we dont know what firmware revision the machines were when they determined what was needed and there is considerable difference between the 2nd and 3rd BMW firmware releases so whether the ECU's are being brought up to the stable base of BMW 3rd firmware release then the Magnetti Marelli update applied we dont know

The firmware release in machines prior to going for update is not likely to be known and so comparison of before/after will not be comparing apples and oranges, there are many dangers in this update, only time will tell.

The Husky/KTM software also does reporting similar to the BMW Dealer software, there are screen shots over at Advrider, a report from a TR650 when people take the machines in for update would be very useful in understanding what Husky/Magnetti Marelli have done
  14. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Thanks for the feedback. Without a data logger it will be hard to determine the AFR. My Strada is a 2013. I also have a 2014 Terra that I will have the ECU updated in 2 - 3 weeks that I can compare. I don't know what firmware was in either of them.
  15. FOX 43 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Any insight into whether I should choose a dealer that sold TRs? My most convenient dealer picked up husky after the switch to KTM. Logic would say I want someone who has a history with TRs, but that will cost time and money.
  16. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Dropped the bike off yesterday, the 22nd, at Palmers in Denver NC. Kind of curious to see how it goes. If the weather cooperates when I pick it up I'm going to the Blue Ridge Parkway area and ride for a few days. I'll post my impressions after that. The bike is stock except for the wheels
  17. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.

My dealer had no history with TR's. No problem.
  18. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

So MadDog, what's your overall impression with the updated ECU?
    It idles faster, but what else, Good...bad...?

I'm very impressed (being a noob to this bike) with my TR's acceleration overall, especially when it gets up on the cam between 5K-6K RPM.
    On the freeway when it gets up in the 80mph+ range it settles, and then if you give it more throttle it zings up again and pulls even more.
  19. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    has anyone with a GS911 done the update yet and can confirm (or not) that the GS911 can still be used to reset adaptions etc?
  20. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.

It feels pretty close to stock except the low end stumble is gone. It hasn't stalled yet.

I had an EJK fueler on it to try to eliminate the stumble. I never did get it right. But I feel it had a bit more power with the fueler. I may reinstall it and see if it runs even better now.