USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    WayneC can you comment at this?

hasenpfeffer this looks like a typcal example of the idle actuator losing its memory/way. I have had a very similar issue with and ECU that had the adaption values reset and yes mine did idle for 20 odd seconds and then stop early on after the reset...and on the first few rides on cold and warm cold starts it stopped a couple of times and idled high then settled, however it has now settled right down and not put a foot wrong on recent rides. I'm thinking if you ride it some more and have some more starts and stops it might rebuild the adaption tables and come good as mine seems to have done. Fingers crossed for you!
  2. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Yes, it does indicate/suggest an Idle Actuator problem but it would seem only when cold. That does suggest a poor adaption table, perhaps one either not rebuilt following the update or perhaps done when the engine was already a little warm not cold.

There is also the possibility as you suggest of the Idle Actuator position being lost when the ignition was last turned off as per the problem admitted to by BMW with the G650GS BMS-E recall

With some other Terra and also with the 650GS resetting/rebuilding the adaptions a couple of times has been needed

With that ECU of yours which gave some initial problems and then settled down, it would be more likely trims which settled the problem, or perhaps it was just a little gunk etc which caused it, the adaptions are a fixed table

Re the battery comment above, but not hijack the thread OT, I gave up on Lead Acid batteries over 5 years ago, the Lithiums maintain a much better voltage during start so my Dakar is instantaneous start 90%+ of the time, I am just used to it but it is often commented on by other GS owners
  3. Deans BMW Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT250, HD RK
    Interesting to note, have not received any thing ever from my selling dealer or Husky or anyone. Bought it new from BMW Atlanta and still live at the same address as when I bought it. I think it was either the first or second one that they sold.
  4. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    That brings back VERY bad memories from my BMW G650X.
    It did the same thing.
    They never could get it fixed even after several trips back & forth to the dealer and fighting with BMW.

I REALLY hope its something simple on yours.
  5. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    my Terra did the same after i did an adaption reset with the GS911. The GS911 log then showed that the TPS angle at idle was lower than it usually was. It went away after a week or two and the TPS angle was back to normal by then. I was tempted to adjust the butterfly stop to see if it makes a difference but it corrected itself before i had time to do it. Later adaption resets didn't cause any such issues so i guess it's really easy to screw the reset up.
  6. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    Refueled yesterday and I'm getting 55 mpg. So no change in milage. Thats good.
    I am running a larger rear sprocket, (2 teeth more) . Still like the re-flash.
  7. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I have not checked my mileage yet but the new updated ECU is better all around then before. Out yesterday afternoon, no stalls, same or better power. New supersprox 16-47 teeth sprockets. I like it.
  8. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.

Bakersfield - Adventure Center Powersports
  9. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.

What is the flashing yellow indicator light?
  10. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    ABS indicator
    MadDogTR, mag00 and hasenpfeffer like this.
  11. FOX 43 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    I had mine done at Wayne's Cycle down in Waynesboro, VA. It was done in about 10 days. I also had them change the spark plugs (I am at 18,000 miles), so hard to tell if the better performance is due to ECU, new plugs, or a combo of both (most likely).

Results:

Idle is right at 1600, where it was before the ECU re-flash.
    Cold start is much better than before the reflash.
    The engine runs much smoother than before.

I rode it back on Skyline Drive and then about 40 miles on I-66, so a good mix of twisties and interstate.

I am hoping the high-speed stall problem was fixed by the ECU. I had the low speed stall from time to time, but I found it much more manageable than the every-once-in-a-while stall in fifth gear.
    ct cr430 likes this.
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The fifth gear thing may be the clutch slipping. Mine did that until I used a hybrid synthetic/mineral oil by Castrol. It would happen under hard acceleration sometimes.
  13. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Recall done. Bike runs great. Had the valves checked @12k miles while it was in for the recall; they were still in the dead middle of the acceptable ranges. Great bike, glad the recall is working for us. I've had it since it was new in 2013. I think that for most of us, other than this recall issue, these bikes are proving to be quite reliable.
    Slick, nev.. and LED like this.
  14. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Finally bit the bullet and took mine in for the recall. Dealer - O'Neill's Sales in Victor NY - is a small shop the previously sold KTM and Polaris but has added full Husky line since sale/merger. Mine is their first. Fingers crossed.
  15. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Well, I got my Terra back and it runs very well -- just one hiccup starting out from a stop after about 20 miles of ridding and no repeat, as yet. The Strada is another story. I took it back to the dealer after the ECU update to have it reset to clear the adaptive tables. On both the Terra and the Strada they let it warm up until the fan came on twice. There was no change in the Strada -- still a hesitation from a stop and going a flat on acceleration over about 50% throttle from 3k - 4.8k rpm. The Terra starts pulling noticeably harder from about 4.2k with no apparent flat spot. So, I'm going to look for something else on the Strada that may be causing the issue.
  16. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    If there's anyone with a GS911 in the Portland, OR metro area that would be willing to do an auto scan of my Strada's ECU, please contact me via PM. Thanks, John
  17. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Did they get this figured out?

18. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Not a word. I need to call today and see if they even remember they have it. To be slightly fair, I went out of town most of last week and couldn't use it anyway.
  19. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Bit concerned - mine did this today also. Started after about ten turn overs. revved to about 2200rpm and then stalled.
    When warm idles up and down between 1600 and 1700 rpm.
    Brand new 14 ah battery fitted also.
  20. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Woohoo! I finally got my bike back from the dealer yesterday. The news is promising and this morning's cold start seemed normal, and definitely did not have any of the hiccups shown in the recording.

The dealer talked with me for a bit. He was able to use the KTM computer diagnostic system to perform adaptive resets. He says the option is labeled in German/Austrian, but is clearly adaptives. Within that area, he could individually reset 4 or 5 different adaptives, such as TPS, IAC, neutral indicator. He forgot all the specifics by the time we talked.

He performed a few of the resets, but not all of them and skipped the neutral/gear selection adaption. He said it was very clear when starting the bike after the resets that the bike was performing adaption with obvious searching and fluctuations. After a few minutes the bike started to settle, but he let it idle for 15 minutes.

After the resets, he started it several times without any problems. And this morning it started up fine. I'll post up if anything changes over the next days and more cold starts, but it's looking good!
    MadDogTR and Matt Crawley like this.