USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Which dealer did you go to?
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    AEO in Mesa. They have two locations, I went to the one on Southern and Val Vista.
  3. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    About 100 miles with the new update. Still running really well. I still think it is smoother and better.

However. Each startup has been far worse. Each start has taken more cranking and has actually fired and stopped a couple times requiring another attempt. I have never had problems starting before this update.
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The instructions to the Dealers for the updates Mag00 are rather poor with regard to adaption reset/rebuild

They rely on MM doing an adaptions reset after the firmware update before shipping the BMS-E back to the Dealer and only specify to the Dealer to idle the machine "to operating temperature" not idle the machine until the fan kicks in at least twice as per the BMW recall instructions for the G650GS BMS-E recall

There are indications in the posts above from owners who have had the recall update that the adaption rebuilds have not been done

It suggests that the Husky/KTM Dealer software still does not have ECU reset capability which is needed for ongoing support
  5. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Could it still be beneficial for me to idle mine until the fan turns on? Twice....does that mean idle until fan turns on, continue idle until fan turns off, and continue idle still until fan turns back on a second time?
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Simply idling the machine is not enough, the BMS-E has to be reset by diagnostics first and yes I should have said idle until the fan cycles on/off at least twice

I was surprised by the G650GS recall specifying the fan cycle at least twice, previous TSB's etc from BMW only specified until fan came on, it was the failure to do the adaption reset/rebuild that some here in Oz updating to the last BMW version did not get the full benefit until the reset/rebuild was done properly
  7. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Alright then, mag00? How's that GS911 working?
  8. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Wayne C. -- To be clear (at least for me) are you saying that 1) when the ECU is returned to the dealer that it's not been reset as a part of remapping and that 2) the dealer must have the diagnostic tool to do it after the ECU is installed in the bike and finally 3) the bike has to be idled until the fan comes on, off and on again?
  9. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The problem is we dont know as the TSB to the Dealers does not explain it to them. Since MM and their engineers are highly trained we have to assume their process is to manually issue the reset as the final part of their firmware update as per the automatic reset done by the BMW Dealer programming system.

The fact the Dealers are instructed to idle the machine tells us that the reset would/should have been done in MI by MM.

I have to look at my own work with programmable devices and do I always remember to reset parameters after a firmware update, no I dont.

I have in the past used diagnostics to reset adaptions on the test bench then rebuilt them after bolting the ECU into the bike
    We dont know if the Husky Dealers now have the adaption reset capability in their Husky/KTM Dealer diagnostic system.

Simple logic says if they did then the recall TSB would have instructed them to do it as well as the clearing of DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
    Yes following a reset the bike has to be idled unitl the fan cycles on/off, BMW stated twice in the G650GS recall TSB

With programmable "learning" ECU's whether they are BMW car/bike or other makes/models reset of adaptions is a normal first step maintenance routine
    mag00 likes this.
  10. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Are you talking about cold start only?
  11. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Wayne C. Thanks for your clear explanation!
  12. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I drove the 608 mile round trip journey yesterday and picked up my recall completed TR650. I'll be riding it this weekend and will report back to all soon.
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    It's worked well up to this point. I have not had opportunity to plug into a recalled bike. I was hoping to get to check Kurts, but that has not happened yet, and put mine in the shop yesterday, just tired of waiting.
  14. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Yes, it appears to be a cold start only problem. So far, it starts right up when warm.
    PaulC and mag00 like this.
  15. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    I had my TR650 done last week and picked it up from Toy Tech in Grantville PA. I put 150 miles on it so far and the bike seems to run super. I always thought it ran great before but now it's very smooth. Seems to idle a bit faster and RPMs seem to drop slower when I chop the throttle . I will be checking the MPG, the last 3 tanks were 54 MPG so I hope this is the same or at least close.
    I have done the air box pod, brisk plugs and the thermostat delete. Mileage is just under 13,000.
    Cold start is fine. My wrench was not cleared.
    mag00 likes this.
  16. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I did a 20 mile loop today, wrench is cleared, it runs super, rpms at start are higher, it feels goods to not have the possible stall happen at random times.
    mag00 likes this.
  17. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Minor note...I verified that the ECU markings on my ECU case are the same after the recall as before.

Also, my cold start issue continues. Every time the bike has sat for several hours/overnight. Once past the initial cold start, the bike restarts perfect, and it still runs great.
  18. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    I dropped my Terra off at the dealer today. I asked what they did after receiving the reprogrammed ECU and installation. He stated that they just checked to see if it started and idled properly, let it warm up and take a short test ride. If it seems to run OK, that's it. They do have the ability to reset the ECU learned parameters if they think somethings amiss. Tomorrow I'll try starting the Strada and letting it go through two fan cycles to see if it has any effect on the slight hesitation from a stop and the flat response above about 50% throttle from 3000-4800 rpm.
  19. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I dropped my bike back off at the dealer. They say they will try talking with Husqvarna about my cold start issue. Here's a video showing what's happening.

20. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I kinda thought about that, but just figured since it worked fine before I took it in that the update is the only thing that changed. But now that you mention it, maybe something with being at the dealer for 2 weeks killed my battery enough to cause the issue. Kinda weird coincidence, but maybe. Of course now I don't have it to check.