USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I just received notice from the NHTSA dated 3/2/16, Campaign # 16V124000, Components engine and engine cooling, number of units 1015
    Summary: KTM is recalling 2013-2014 Husqvarnar TR650 manf. Jan1, 2012, Dec 31 2013 affected motorcycles unexpectedly stall
    Consequence: A stall increases the risk of a crash
    Remedy: The remedy for this recall is still under development. The manf. has not provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact KTM 1-44-985-3553
    Owners may also contact NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V124
    Hulksta, kiwiape, PaulC and 4 others like this.
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wow, it took them this long to figure out there was a stall issue ? Owner have been complaining for years.
    johnsweet likes this.
  3. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I do not own a TR, but this is good news for those that do. :cheers:
    johnsweet likes this.
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Great News John.
    tr650reall.jpg

What's interesting is my original complaint is not there 10615977.:thinking:
    johnsweet likes this.
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
  6. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Wow, this is great news.
  7. BLZ2DWL Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Fantastic news!
  8. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    You did notice that it is unresolved. Besides there are four parties for KTM to work this out with. Magneti Marrelli (ECU). BMW, Husqvarna and KTM themselves. At this point we don't know how long the NHTSA will be willing to work with KTM to resolve this problem. And there are apparently only 1015 bikes that were sold in the USA. Personally, I don't care if it takes the rest of the year as long as it is solved.
    Mark_H and Scott Jones like this.
  9. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I always wondered how many bikes they sold here. Like everyone else I'm just glad that they acknowledge that the bikes do exist and they have some obligation to support them.
    Craig Hashey likes this.
  10. GrumpyShamurai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 XL350 - 74 XL125 - 07 FZ1
    Wonder if they will perform what ever recall fix they come up with on modified bikes.
  11. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I would assume so as long as the mod doesn't interfere the the projected improvement. I've got a booster plug and don't have the stalling issue but I'm likely to remove the plug and have the repair done. I can't see the pod mod or anything else being an issue.
  12. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I think there's still plenty of finger pointing to do before any real fix is attempted
  13. -q- Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Glad that you are now seeing some progress. I don't know how these issues don't get picked up in development.

I had a KLX250 5 years back that had a similar issue. You shouldn't have to buy after market parts to make the bike safe, although the Power Commander is a massive improvement.

I wonder what the cost of development and tooling was for only a few thousand bikes.

Here are the stats for how many TR's are on the road on this side of the pond (62)..

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=husquvana tr 650
  14. GrumpyShamurai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 XL350 - 74 XL125 - 07 FZ1

I have a power commander V installed. I still have the issue but its so minor and i feel it coming, I usually catch it before the actual stall.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Magnetti Marelli has no role in the recall, they only produce the hardware, nothing else,the firmware mod will have to come from BMW as they wrote the firmware and hold all the files. Husky and KTM as the distributor are only the middle men delivering the update. What BMW will have to do is look at whether any of the updates they did into the Sertao are also relevant to the Terra/Strada and if so there will be a new firmware version for all owners even those on the last firmware version which we know works quite well but does have a slightly aggressive injector turn off on overrun

What is concerning is NHTSA is only listing some VIN's, it should be all VIN's as at least some Dealers were not checking/updating firmware versions during pre delivery. On what I have seen and what owners have posted at CH it looks like even some of the later Terrra/Strada's were fitted with BMS-E programmed with early firmware.
  16. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Very interested to see how this pans out. I guess we will all get letters when the recall fix is officially decided?
  17. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wayne, while agree with you on the ECU I don't believe that Magnetti Marell will come out scott free on this. The specifications of their ECU had to have impact on how it was programmed don't you think?
  18. Chopperbob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR-650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XT660Z,Honda Africa Twin
    Wow, this is great news.
    My Wife and I really like these bikes, EXCEPT for the occasional, out of the blue, no warning, and at critical moments stalling!
    Hopefully this will be a straight forward firmware fix that will be readily available at most KTM dealers. After BMW left us in a lurch, even in places like California, it was hard to find a dealer that would work on this bike.
  19. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    No Magnetti Marell have nothing to do with the firmware, they have already told people here at CH only BMW knows the firmware. That is normal with firmware ECU's. It is the sole responsibility of the OEM. Husky does not know the firmware either. Manufacturers of ECU's for car/bike supply the same hardware to BMW/Merc/Audi etc and then the manufacturers load their own proprietary firmware

It is not surprising KTM NA has no idea what the solution is, they were not the distributor at the time these machines were sold.

There are 2 things US owners need to do now

1/ Contact KTM NA and explain to them that machines were delivered without many Dealers ensuring they were updated to the latest firmware because Dealers were not all trained or equipped to do so and that as an owner you want BMW Dealers to be able to diagnose and program ECU's as well as Husky Dealers.

2/ Make it clear to NHTSA that BMW Dealers are the only people with the experience/knowledge and diagnostics equipment to update and support these machines in the future, it is not economic for Husky Dealers to buy and maintain the gear needed. If I was one of the husky Dealers I would not invest in the gear.

BMW wrote the firmware, holds copyright over it, they supplied the BMS-E/Dash/ABS as programmed units to Husky and they will need to do any updates in the future beyond programming the latest current firmware releases. BMW has to adopt the liabilities through their Dealers if a BMW programmed and supplied ECU is bricked when a firmware update goes wrong just as they do for BMW models and a Dealer reprogram goes wrong.

It is not even petty cash to BMW to do the current update, 1000 x 1/2 hr in the workshop maximum, they were fined $3 million for not advising NHTSA properly re car/bike problems not too long ago, put it in perspective
    Ziggy, Link, IronRod and 1 other person like this.
  20. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the insight Wayne.