USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Dan, OSS is the name of the BMW diagnostics system used by the BMW car and bike dealers, the bike dealers used have an older version (MOSS) than the car dealers and they are being upgraded to run the same version. OSS is capable of reprogramming the Terra/Strada and has been used to do so for Terra owners in more than one country. KTM was wrong in what they stated to you. It may be however that the log in they have been using in the US is restricting capability.

Halls Cycles is incorrect, the updated firmware has been in the system since 2013, I am not surprised re the problems they indicate they have had with MOSS, the way that system accesses the remote servers has been problematic including for the US independent car repairers.

Mark_H, no it is not that manufacturers are unable to comply with regulations, they are not mapped excessively lean. The other rotax based models have no difficulties meeting EU3 and other regulations and the real time logging done on the Terra here with the latest firmware shows very good AFR, the problems are in other areas of the firmware rather than just the basic map which is why no add on product can address the issues, they can only mask some of the issues.

You are correct though it is more Husqvarna and BMW arguing over liability, KTM is only the middle man distributor, they are struggling to understand it all and what happened prior to them taking over as distributor

Re the G650GS/Sertao. You should note that it was both BMS-C and BMS-E models in that recall as there were too many instances of dealers not updating firmware during service work over a period of time and it all came to a head, the frustration of an Oz BMW rep I spoke to late last year was rather obvious. There were additional improvements in the BMS-E firmware only which means there have now been 4 updates into the BMS-E since it was introduced
    johnsweet and mag00 like this.
  2. Mike Friend Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Hi Guys,

Sorry if I missed this somewhere on the site, but is there a way to figure out what firmware version I have? My TR650 has, except for one or two stalls when brand new, run exceptionally well and gets superb fuel mileage. So I suspect that I have the "good" fuel map and don't need to worry about the recall. The only engine mod I've made is a cannisterectomy, and it made no difference at all in the way the bike runs.
  3. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Sounds like my bike
  4. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I see (map II) on my dash, shouldn't everyone be seeing either map I, map II, or map III ?? Went riding yesterday, Maine's first day above 50 F only one random stall.:applause:
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    You should have had zero random stalls.
    DJOV likes this.
  6. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    LOL, you have pretty low expectations in both weather and bikes. ;)
  7. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, a 50* day in Maine is a rarity this time of year. ...let him dream....
    johnsweet likes this.
  8. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    Dan, OSS is the name of the BMW diagnostics system used by the BMW car and bike dealers, the bike dealers used have an older version (MOSS) than the car dealers and they are being upgraded to run the same version. OSS is capable of reprogramming the Terra/Strada and has been used to do so for Terra owners in more than one country. KTM was wrong in what they stated to you. It may be however that the log in they have been using in the US is restricting capability.

OSS was the term the US KTM customer service rep used to describe their diagnostic tool for the Husky. As you state in the US this system as used by KTM/Husky dealers is restricted to diagnostics only.

Halls Cycles is incorrect, the updated firmware has been in the system since 2013, I am not surprised re the problems they indicate they have had with MOSS, the way that system accesses the remote servers has been problematic including for the US independent car repairers.

Halls loaded VII on my machine prior to delivery. At delivery there was talk of a VIII upgrade and Halls assured me when it was available they'd notify me. After the sale of Husky the US dealers were pretty much cut off by BMW NA. Halls did not receive the VIII update and their servicing of MOSS from BMW NA was basically ended.

I have a feeling that BMW NA and US laws may have more to do with our problems on this side of the pond as it appears in other countries they are moving to correct many of the issues.
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The map selector feature is designed for the Nuda which has a choice of fueling maps for performance, we don't have that function. Maybe in the recall they could incorporate that for the fix (just wishing).
  10. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

What you see on the dash is purely the startup dash diagnostic lighting up every indicator during self-test. On the TR, it has no meaning.
  11. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS
    That's funny. It has my name listed where it shows city and state on the rest...
  12. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    Anyone receive a recall letter yet?
  13. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nope, none here.
  14. Yarrow Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TD650 Strada
    Hi guys,
    I'm a TR650 owner in the UK. I've had my bike for 3 months and love it.
    It's a stock (early) 2013 model that only had 200 miles on it when I bought it. It was an unloved, ex demo bike, sitting at the back of the shop and so cheap I bought it on the spot.
    It stalled once on my first ride which was my fault as I was riding it like a multi.
    Since resetting my head to the fact that a big single works differently and needs to be ridden as such I've had no issues, just been enjoying the power delivery and the thump.

Sorry to hear things haven't been so much fun for some of you. It will be interesting to see if you do get recalls and what the updates achieve.
  15. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:

Not yet but after I left a message on the KTM customer service # 951-600-8007 I did get a phone call from Kevin Peterson at KTM North America, kpeterson@ktmnorthamerica.com he said everyone who owned the TR650 would be receiving a recall letter from there dealers in the future. He did say they have not figured out what to do yet but are working on it.:excuseme: He asked me how I heard about the recall and I told him that I was contacted by the NHTSA with their recall notice. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/153ad0109ccb3bd7
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I sent him an email and asked them to work with Wayne. :thumbsup: Maybe if they get some info from the "field" they can expedite a fix.
    johnsweet likes this.
  17. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Thanks, here I am trying to keep a low profile and get info for you guys, I was already off BMW christmas card list because of the fork lug failures :)
  18. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I asked him if they had seen any of the posts on cafehusky.com He said what is that?:banghead:
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I probably should have given you a heads up or sumpin. Oh well, better to ask forgiveness :cheers: maybe they will hire you?

I'm sure I'm off the KTM Christmas Card list LOL.
  20. RockinRod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    79 GS850G, 99VFR800Fi , 04ST1300A
    Guys I'm in on the recall, although I rode very little in 2015 due to a bad hip ,since I have started riding again it has become an aggravation having to rev my throttle to take off and to keep it running I must rev it up....hopefully we can get some relief...... my complaint number is