USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    That they had arranged for all Terra/Strada to be updated to the last released version which sorts out 90+% of problems while they wait for a further update to be developed as per last years Sertao recall
  2. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    Hopefully we can prod KTM NA out of their doldrums. I have contacted kpeterson@ktmna.com about the developments in Australia. If all persons of interest could contact this email address I think it would help get the stalling issue resolved once and for all

My bad, here is the correct email address: kpeterson@ktmnorthamerica.com
  3. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I tried.
    Delivery
    to the following recipient failed permanently:

kpeterson@ktmna.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domainktmna.com by kr1-aspmx1.worksmobile.com. [125.209.209.251].
  4. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
  5. DirtyOldMan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    15 Beta XTrainer 04 250 RFS
    Thanks for the info. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and contacted KTM.
    I've had mine since 11/12 and never done any of the stalling remedies.
    It's caused me a few tipovers and some aggravation but mostly I've just learned to deal with it. Gas it and go (unless I forget :doh: )
    It would be nifty to get it fixed especially since prospective buyers of the bike seem spooked by it.
    I figure in a few years KTM will just send us each 15 or 20 bucks.
    PaulC and mag00 like this.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There are now a total of 53 complaints showing on NHTSA, that is a staggering No and many of the new ones seem to be non CH owners

Attached Files:

DeLewis likes this.
  7. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    what to do? frustrating at best, I've tried to contact KTM customer service at 1-440-985-3553 but they will not answer, I leave a message they will not respond. I have contacted my Senator Angus King's office about this matter. No new firmware fix from BMW, KTM. yet. All I can say is contact your Congressman's office.
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Contact your state vehicle license board. When a dealer is faced with losing their license to sell bikes in the state, they tend to put the screws to the problematic manufacturer.

Performance Cycle is out of business, they were tired and did not wish to deal with it any longer. But other dealers who rely on their license to live and make a living, surely will take legal action against KTM to provide the required service to the customer.

I lost my dealer, so it makes little to no difference to me if KTM packs up and gets the hell out of USA.
    PaulC likes this.
  9. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    I know BMW won't do anything(hell, they won't even release the code for the aftermarket) and KTM could give a rats ass about a few thousand discontinued motorcycles. they will bury all that paperwork to the bottom of the stack until we all give up.
    So, I've been thinking, I can clean it up, drain the gas and make it the center piece of my model room with the other wall hangers.
    mag00, tweber and johnsweet like this.
  10. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    I will go the other route, and keep it dirty and run it until the TR bleeds out. Seriously I like your humor.
  11. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

Truth is that I have considered removing all the mods to put it back to stock, sell the stuff and sit back and wait......
  12. jjlrrw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    First post here, picked up a 2014 TR650 noticing the stalling issue right away, also when the bike is cold it starts right up but will stall out one or two times, every fuel injection I have owned always starts up and adjusts as needed to remain running. I have noticing the stalling issue a number of times in parking lots, at stop lights and almost dumped the bike on a slow sharp corner.

Anyone receive any info when or if there will be a fix? And if so would a Husqvarna dealer or a KTM dealer do the recall?
  13. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Read back thru this and the OZ and Can. threads. It will give you an idea what we are up against.
    Bermuda Ron likes this.
  14. Bikerdude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR, Versys,DL1000 Suzuki,
    I have lodged my complaint with NHTSA. Twice actually because the first complaint didn't get in there system for some reason. I called the dealer who sold me the bike and they advised me they no longer sell Husqvarna but they still sell BMW and KTM. They didn't have any info on a recall. I recently called KTM @ 1-440-985-3553 and was told they are working on a fix. This is really taking a long time. The companies and people involved with this apparently don't give a flip about our problem. What to do?
  15. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Hello XXXXX,

KTM/Husqvarna engineers are actively working on a fix for this issue. At this time I do not have an expected date for the rollout of the repair. In the meantime I would advise providing us the most up to date contact information so that when the recall is released and recall notification letters are mailed you will be sure to get one. Please your mailing address, including county, email address, and phone number so that we can properly update our system.

Thank you,

KEVIN PETERSONCUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
    KTM NORTH AMERICA, INC.38429 Innovation Court
    Murrieta, CA 92563
    T: 951-600-8007 x4127
    F: 951-600-8866
    kpeterson@ktmnorthamerica.com
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. jjlrrw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Received the same email today

17. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    I am not sure on the US legality of all this, but has anyone thought that they (whoever they are?) may not actually be able to perform a Recall/ECU remap and still remain within the US (California) Emission regulations for which they (BMW) obtained initial US Type approval ?

We all know that the TR650 engine fuel mapping was written very lean and the other features of the fuel system design including Purge Valve and Cannister are all part of the Emission Regulation criteria that enabled BMW to import and sell the bike in US.
    I believe that these features, including the lean fuel map are not able to be changed legally and stay within the emissions approval criteria.

If it was (legally) possible then any manufacturer could supply a bike with a super lean fuel map, obtain emissions type approval for import purposes then, at the first service, have their dealers remap the bikes to run with more power/fuel consumption etc.

This is the case with all 'add-on' fuel injection controllers (PCV, Dobek EJK etc etc.) which clearly state 'not for road legal use' because they have not been type approved for legal use on the road because they modify the emissions criteria for which the bike was originally accepted.
  18. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    speculation, will we ever know? I'm sure that is part of the equation. Hopefully they are doing the right thing and working on a permanent solution to the dangerous random stall issue. If you are staying abreast of all the different threads on CH Kenneth has no stall issues because of the moss done on his bike in Arizona. Recall in OZ must be having some effect on KTM dealers updating the firmware to the already available latest fix. Keep pressing them as this is a life or death issue.
  19. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    My bike supposedly had the latest Moss from the dealer in Tucson, AZ and it consistently died on me. Hell, it died on the test ride at the dealer when brand new. I knew this going in, but I still wanted the bike. Thankfully Dobeck tweaked their G650 EJK shortly after and my bike has not died once over 1.5 years later. :cheers:

I stopped holding my breath on a fix from KTM a long time ago. What incentive do they have to fix it?
    Mark_H and mag00 like this.
  20. GrumpyShamurai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 XL350 - 74 XL125 - 07 FZ1
    Has anyone been injured due to the stall?