USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    You could also call the number listed in the recall notice to try and make sure your info is attached to your vin.
  2. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
  3. cmcmullin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Terra 650
    I received the recall notification this week as well. Carlsbad (San Diego) California. Hopefully they resolve the issue quickly!
  4. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Quickly....? It has been over 3 years and still no real progress.

My take is that they never will be able to fully resolve the issue because of the 'type approval' regulations on which the original bike was registered.
    Like I previously said, any manufacturer could produce a super economical lean running bike to get around the emission regs then have it remapped at 1st service so it runs properly.
    There are regulations to prevent this and KTM/BMW/Husqvarna et al are not going to be able to provide a remap that cures the lean stumble of the bike, and still remain within the original emissions criteria that the bike was imported on.
    Therefore, it is not going to happen.
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    For the record, 650GS/X BMW Rotax singles have been compliant to the same emissions standards as the Terra/Strada since 2006

The basic history of the Terra/Strada BMS-E firmware is firmware version 8535136/8535137 was the initial release, a change was made to correct some unknown problem and it was released as 8532184/8532185, many machines were delivered to owners with this version, the change created more problems than it resolved, the final release 8543015/8543016 was then developed and released in Q1 2013 and the dealers were told it contained over 2000 changes, in effect it was a complete rewrite and resolved all but 2 relatively minor problems one of which is a "stall when hot and clutch in" which is the same as the problem suffered by the G650GS/Sertao and which is only partially solved by US recall 15V537.

Update from 8532184/8532185 to 8543015/8543016 and perform proper maintenance and you will have a sweet running machine
    DeLewis likes this.
  6. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i think you meant update from 8532184/8532185 to 8543015(ECE)/8543016(US) right? If only there would be an easy way to find out what's currently loaded...
  7. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Correct, have corrected the post, pleased you picked that up :applause:, GS911 tells you the firmware version, find a BMW owner with a GS911 WiFi to assist
  8. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Ok Wayne, many thanks for the info but how to update the firmware? Can I read (or update) my Firmware version using my Rheingold Software?

We have a guy here in Manila who has posted that BMW have recently sent out a new upgrade to the TR650 ECU and he can install/flash it using his GS-911.
    Possible or no chance as I told him ??
  9. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    You can read the firmware version with either Dealer Diagnostics (Rheingold/ISTA) or GS911 WiFi, it is shown as Part No on the GS911

With ECU's you have 2 numbers, a Hardware No and then a Programmed No which is the Firmware Version No
    No you cant program an ECU with GS911, it is diagnostics only, ISTA/P is the name for the programming component of the Dealer System, it accesses OSS at BMW AG to get the current firmware version of an ECU when a Dealer programs an ECU

Re the claim that BMW has released a new version of firmware, ask the person which version of ISTA/P data it was released in, the current version is 3.59.4 and it is routinely updated on a weekly basis. There are Operations Reports showing the programming and ISTA/P version numbers on Advrider and here at CH
    DJOV likes this.
  10. oconnor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    OK, I filed again today and also emailed Kevin at KTM to make sure they have my current info.
  11. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    PM sent.
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Wayne, Thanks for the info, but once again my first question remains unanswered - How to update the Firmware ?

My ECU has printed underneath 8533726-01 , and in Rheingold interrogation I get Part Number 8532185 with Type Approval Number 8535139, nothing else??
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Got my Strada updated today at GoAz in Phoenix. Seems to run fine, and I won't know exactly how good until I put some street miles. But since my Terra had it done, it is fine, so the Strada should be too.

ista-goaz-1.jpg
  14. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok but how?
    I have Rheingold ISTA/D up and running and can read reset the bike etc.
    The BMW Tools also says that I have ISTA/P installed, but I cannot seem to access it.

How do I get ISTA/P operating and how do I use it to update the firmware to 8543015/8543016 as you suggest?
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The 8533726-01 is the BMS-E hardware revision and the Part Number 8532185 shows you have the problematic firmware version

Programming with ISTA/P is normally done using an ICOM-D adaptor cable and BMW ICOM vehicle interface which operates ethernet to the PC, it has battery voltage checking to ensure a power supply is connected and voltage to the ECU's is 14v to ensure programming is successful.

The Dealer you have mentioned in the past would have an ICOM as part of their old MOSS system. I would suggest you talk further with them since there are 35+ machines in the Philippines. As you will notice from Mag00's post the GoAz Dealer was able to do an update for him as is one of the Dealers in Oz who has purchased updated gear via Husky/KTM to do the updates.
  16. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Hi Wayne, I have the ICOM cables and interface with ISTA/D operating on my laptop, everything works well and I can read /reset my bike. It also indicates that ISTA/P is installed but I cannot seem to access it properly.

I see that Mag00 has had good results from the GoAz dealer, who is obviously using ISTA/P to update the firmware on the bike.
    ISTA/P is BMW based, so the question is, are BMW still allowing the new Husky/KTM dealers access to the online system for this update?

Can we access it using our version of ISTA/P or use it in some way to upgrade the ECU to 8543015/6 firmware?
  17. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There are posts here on CH by one of the Oz riders, Glitch_Oz, who talked to a Dealer a while back and he laid out that Husky/KTM offered the software package to Dealers which had an add on of a 10 pin adaptor cable/Vehicle Interface to communicate with the BMW derived Terra/Strada/Nuda plus a software add on that enabled comms back to BMW AG to do firmware updating. That is what the Dealer in Oz is using to do the updates for people here. I would expect the GoAz Dealer is either using the same software/hardware or is a combined BMW/Husky Dealer, we would have to ask Mag00 re that
  18. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hey guys, at first when I presented them with the bike, they figured they could update it, they are KTM/BMW but not authorized Husky. Since I paid for the service, they didn't care. If you were bringing in for warranty they said they would not do it, because Husky would not pay them.

I showed them the recall notice with the KTM addresses etc and said that did not matter. Husky would not reimburse them for any warranty work. So the Husky owners are still taking it in the shorts by KTM.

Anyway, it cost me $120 for the update. I only drove it back on the highway, so I really don't have a good eval on the update to my Strada. It will have to adapt over the next couple in town rides and settle down a bit I imagine.

The tech told me there was nothing he could do while hooking it up as far as selecting updates etc. The machine read my bike and fetched what it needed. We talked briefly about my update number and the nodes/portals but nothing revealing. I forgot to ask about programming things like keys and dashes. I assume that can be done by them.

My local BMW dealer could not or maybe would not hook me up and update. I see no reason why they couldn't other than they may not have qualified technicians running the machine.

The ride was nice, 120 miles 80mph and 60 mpg before the update, need to top of bike to calculate the mpg for the ride back with the update. Probably shouldn't change.

Attached Files:

19. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    I received recall notice 261 last week. I noticed that it says 'do not ride' and 'contact your dealer' if you have problems. Has anyone looked into their states lemon laws or the legal responsibility KTM/Husky has to address the 'do not ride' portion of this letter?

I'd think that at least in some states Husky would have to provide a machine while they look for a solution or that state lemon laws may intervene and require Husky to buy back the affected equipment.
  20. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    mag00 - Did they also remove the service wrench symbol on the dash? GoAZ is only ten miles from my house. Did you checkout the big new Harley dealer just down the road too? I'm not much of a Harley guy, but the new building is amazing.