USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    It depends on what service tool is required I imagine. The newer KTM service tool is used for both orange and white Husqvarna since they are mechanical and electrical same same. They are also capable of talking to Italian Husky. Just depends on the interface software and connectors to the wire loom for the TR. The tool must be connected to the mother ship so they can record what vin #s are getting maps downloaded. This is for emissions compliance and to prevent illegal map mods.

So it does stand to reason that the software could be loaded for the TR by KTM N.A. Might be worth a shot to call your local KTM dealer.
  2. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

...got my letter from the previous owner. Waiting to hear about your experiences... ;)
  3. cbxtc6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger, GTS, Duc
    Got my letter, called, and will be bringing mine to my local KTM dealer on Tues. Will update when returned.
  4. FOX 43 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada

I was hoping so, so I reached out to KTM North America to ask. See below:

Hello Dan,

There should be no confusion as the letter clearly states to bring your motorcycle to an authorized Husqvarna dealership.
    If further clarification is needed, no, a KTM dealership cannot perform a recall on a Husqvarna motorcycle.

Thank you,

KEVIN PETERSONCUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
  5. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    What number did you call?

I sent an e-mail off to KTM NA asking about using a KTM dealer as my nearest Husky dealers are FAR from being near.

They just responded that the recall can only be done at a Husqvarna dealers.:(
  6. cbxtc6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger, GTS, Duc
    Called the BMW dealer whom I bought the Husky from. Apparently their KTM 'side' is still listed as a Husky dealer, though no Husky signs or bikes.
    Yeah, mine's over 100 miles away too. :(
  7. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    My dealer is 430 miles 1 days travel time. My closest dealer said he can't do the recall work. Two other dealers a bit further but closer then my dealer said they could. WTF??
  8. Adv Bob Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200,R1100GS,R1200GSW ADV, Rupp BW
    Update, the dealer they found closest to me is both a KTM & Husky. Kristin from KTM in Ca. called me back twice and she clarified that is has to be a Husky dealer. Replace ecu run diagnostics. 10 business days or so.
  9. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    WTF indeed. Hope I don't hear that from my closest dealer (KTM & Husky).

Corporate needs to stick that bug in their dealers' ear (or foot in ass if necessary). A mandated safety recall fix is not a dealer-declined option.
    johnsweet likes this.
  10. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    I dropped my Strada off at the dealer today. He thinks it'll take 2-3 days to get it to Italy and 7-10 days for them to schedule the reprogramming and get it back in the mail + another 2 -3 days for the return so, 11 - 16 days total. I'm guessing at least 2 weeks. Still, I'm hoping for the best and I still have the AF-XIED as a back up that I removed before I took it to the dealer.
  11. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    just got a call back from Husky NA, ECU is sent to Michigan for the software update, takes 48 hours to remove 4 bolts, send off, update and return to dealer. That closest offending dealer now has the corporate boot in ass and will fix. Now I won't go there just because of the possible implications. Next closest dealer has the job.
    Scott Jones, PaulC and Adv Bob like this.
  12. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excellent, thanks for the info. At least I'll know the answer before contacting the dealer.
  13. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Playing devil's advocate, it's not hard to understand why a former KTM dealer now KTM/Husky would take the low road and slow walk this fix. Aside from no probable BMW affiliation or affinity, it's a terrible time of year to be screwing with something like this when it's primetime for sales and service. Not so good for who are trying to get riding time either.
    johnsweet likes this.
  14. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Interesting that the ECU's are being sent to MI. My dealer said mine was the 3rd to be sent in. I'll ask him about it when I'm notified that my bike's ready.
  15. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I'm curious what happens when you've done the POD Mod?

Even though I'd like the updated firmware I have my bike running so well with the PCV/AT setup I don't know if I want to mess with a good thing. Also, I'd have pull all that stuff off, probably put the stock pipes back on, and don't know what to do about the airbox.....

If they'd come out with this back in the day I would have jumped on it and probably not have to spent a fair bit of coin and effort on the PCV/AT setup.

Me thinks I'm gonna leave well enough alone.

I'll be interested to hear the feedback from those who are having it done.
  16. jjlrrw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    none

Any idea where or who is doing the re-flash in Michigan?
  17. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Does Tri County still sell Husky? They couldn't even see if mine had the the latest software when I bought mine in 2014 when Moss was still up and running.
    I live so far from a Husky dealer now that I'm not even thinking of taking it in till the feedback comes in to see if its worth it.
    I think there might still be a driveability issue due to emission standards so I might just do the PCV and be done with it. The only time mine really acts up is in high ambient air temps.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  18. Adv Bob Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200,R1100GS,R1200GSW ADV, Rupp BW
    I just spoke with Edelmans in Troy, NY. They told me to drop the bike off and they will take care of it. They were very nice, helpful. I've never done business with them before but the service manager at my BMW dealer recomended them.
  19. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Took mine in yesterday to Adventure Center Powersports in Bakersfield, CA. They didn't even exist when TR-650's were being sold. I'll let you know how it goes in 7-10 days.
    Rapid Dog likes this.
  20. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS

I know I had a safety recall on my 2012 Dodge Charger and the California DMV would not let me renew the registration until the recall was completed. May run into the same issue here.