USA RECALL

Discussion in 'TR650' started by johnsweet, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    I was all eye-rolling and hand-wringing how I was going to coordinate dropping off a bike for 7-10 days when the nearest dealer is 275 miles from me when I realized I've had one move in 3 miles from me since I bought the bike. Taking mine in this afternoon and hitching a ride back home from a meeting I have nearby.

From the recall I get the part about rebooting the computer after they send it back. Part of wonders if that cycle would be affected by temperature spoofer, and probably not detrimentally other than they're rebooting in Alaska winter, but I'm probably going to revert it back to stock before I hand it back to the dealer...just to make sure.

Will report back and see how it goes. Wondering and hoping it fixes up that dreaded occasional die-in-the-intersection-as-you're-about-goose-it-across-traffic-to-the-left issue.
  2. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Might be a good idea to remove the spoofer. I pulled my GPR single exhaust and will remove the Eruption a.i.t.soon.
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Fixed that for you.
  4. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I am trying to figure out the logistics of this myself as my closest are all 4-6 hours (one way) away.
    The one that works the best, as it is near where my parents live, is the BMW/Husky dealer that I went through hell with my past BMW.
    I swore I would not set foot back in that place.

Just to be sure not to introduce any issues I will be removing my custom Wuka Spoofer, even though mine has a "stock" setting.
  5. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd remove the fuel plug for sure. If there's something that they do to the ECU you want it back to stock at least as far as the fueling goes.
    If it's still lean you can always re-install the plug.
  6. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb

Hey Misery,
    Please reach out to me at deguilme@yahoo.com I want to buy your strada fender. Thanks!

i live in the most populated area of our country and i have to drive an hour and a half to find a dealer:cry:
  7. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    AIT is Husky part number 1739510, current cost at my local Husky dealer is $18.39.

There are after market ones available around the net but don't bother - they're generally more $ anyway.
    isldtime likes this.
  8. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.

I also have a new Husky dealer near me. I'm wondering if the new dealers will have the diagnostic equipment to work on TR650's.
  9. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I am hoping the ECU update is also completely cutting all ties with the BMW system(s).
    Perhaps not good for those that have the GS911, we will have to see.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think that is what took so long.
  11. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

I kept my stock sensor and built the Eruption mod from 1 for a Land Rover
    run-it likes this.
  12. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    When you send yours in you might put a small mark on the ECU to see if you get yours back.
    run-it likes this.
  13. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    Took the Booster Plug out, rode the bike to my local dealership that had read the letter at least, and as I rode there had the proverbial engine die in an intersection as I was about to pull out in front of a car. Doiks!

Once in a 5 mile ride isn't statistically significant, but validates the issue with yet another data point.

Fired it back up and finished my ride, dropped off, and now waiting.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

With 99.9% certainty you will get your own ECU back. The ECU, dash and all keys have to be present to reprogram the ECU. This is why the process takes 7-10 days and not just a straight swap over from a stock item that the dealer can order and get you going again straight away. Of course there is the slight possibility that they might keep the bike so that they can send all 3 components back to M-M, but it hardly seems worth it if they're sending it back to the factory to load a new firmware. Just in case, and especially if your dealer is a fair distance from home, it might be worth leaving both keys with the bike...
  15. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I hope that is true.
    I wonder if after this recall they purge the locked down BMW crap and the ECU will now be like other Magneti ones (Ducati/Guzzi) and true custom mapping can be done with TuneECU or Tuneboy.
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I just got done with NHTSA about the lack of documentation on the fix. We don't know yet what will happen. Kurt, a member here and Tucson resident, has his Terra in the shop. When it comes back, I am going to hook up the GS911 and get as much info as possible

What I might find is a total reflash of the firmware, bringing it in line with the KTM brand and their equipment. Not likely, as that would cost a butload of money.

More than likely, they just tweaked some of the BMW coding.

Once I can check it out, and maybe even talk to the performing tech, it may turn out that the bike does not need to go in. Husky requires pictures for their warranty work, and may be the only reason. Or, maybe the adaption must be done by them to ensure the fix, but may be able to be negotiated. Slim chance, but a chance.

Anybody willing to press the NHTSA for the details is encouraged to do so. They told me to contact KTM for the details, and I responded that the details were supposed to be submitted to the NHTSA and that KTM will not cooperate, and the NHTSA as the consumer advocate is supposed to be doing this, helping the consumer.
  17. Adv Bob Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200,R1100GS,R1200GSW ADV, Rupp BW
    I just bought a 2014 Tr650 w/400 miles on it. It has the stalling issues. I called KTM headquarters in Ohio this morning and left my info. I got a call back/voice mail 15 minutes later instructing me to bring it in to any KTM or Husky dealer to have the recall issue fixed. She gave me a Ca. phone # to call if I still had questions. I'm about to follow up when I get out of work. I'm new to this forum, I'd like to day hello!
  18. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    I'm assuming the dealer will get a report back from M/M.
    If you can read and wipe errors, it might be worth addressing errors prior.
    Or tell the dealer you want to be informed before any additional work is undertaken. That's a given but you never know
  19. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    No letter yet but going to google up the closest Husky dealer and get in line.
  20. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    [quote="I got a call back/voice mail 15 minutes later instructing me to bring it in to any KTM or Husky dealer to have the recall issue fixed. She gave me a Ca. phone # to call if I still had questions. I'm about to follow up when I get out of work. I'm new to this forum, I'd like to day hello![/quote]

Welcome to the forum.
    That's the first time I've read that. I have a KTM dealer much closer.