1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250/310 outter Oil line protection guard.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Laura, Jan 24, 2013.

1. John R Percoski Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW F650GS & 1983 R 80 G/S
    Wow! Sorry to hear about your misfortune Laura, on a lighter note your right boot is now waterproof :p I'm going to look into making a full guard for mine.
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Seems like a 1 in a 1000 happening.

Might be more security in putting an oil pressure gauge and light on the dash. Not necessarily cheaper but more versatile.

Even a Voyager has an Engine Temp sensor that could help before it's too late.
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Ok, We usually get run thru those sappling trees that wack you pretty good. So your line got me thinking. Yes might be one in a million but that 1, usually happens to me.

I spent 8 hours and welded up 3 designs. 1 with plated aluminum. 2 with rodded and plated aluminum. 3 just rodded aluminum (My favorite).

This is by far the best I came up with.

My thinking in this design is:

1. Won't restrict air flow.

2. To get high enough on line, I had to come off the chain tensioner, thus using a longer bolt.

3. Didn't want to bolt to motor mount and felt the motor mount bolt, might come loose attaching a softer metal to it.

4. Just drill and tapped the frame.

5. Since going off case bolts, I wanted something to give on a big impact. That is why i designed it with and S towards front so it can give. Actually, this is solid as heck but I know it will bend before busting the cases or pulling the bolts out.

6. Bent one brace so that my lil funnel fit.

7. Oil cap access no problem.

8. Keeps the oil line back against engine.

9. In the pic I threaded on a 1/2 in Zinc compression spring as a test. Going back tomorrow and getting a longer one that will run whole length of line. I basically threaded it on the line. All the way at the top, I crimped the spring tight. So if something tugs on my line, it has to pull the spring as well. I also will crimp the spring on bottom tomorrow.

10. Won't affect the line if needs to cool.

11. If you want to use a skid plate or another guard, should not be an issue.

12. Doesn't cover the HUSQVARNA on cylinder.

13. I think it would be reasonable to fabricate and passed to consumer. Oh, yeah different anodized colors. Red, Black, Silver? If you are interested in making these in mass production, PM me.

End result is, I think this will be better than nothing. Is solid but not to the point it would bust my cases in impact. I almost put more braces in it but I think if it is too solid, It will cause damage.

Your Thoughts good or bad?

Oh, it is an optical illusion but bottom of oil line is right behind the aluminum rod and is protected. Just doesn't look like it.

Hey it's winter and I am not racing yet.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Laura likes this.
  4. HuskyTaylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE310 12 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 FLHR 77 Triumph
    That looks sweet, and the bike looks to nice to get dirty.:D
    dartyppyt likes this.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is another one crafted today.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    motocrossmr, Tinken and Radar like this.
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I'm thinking the guard needs to be vertical and close to the engine case...maybe just a plastic piece to deflect. There always seems to be the chance the strike on the line will be precision and thus difficult to defend.

I do like the spring cover.
    Tessier likes this.
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    I know but there is nothing to bolt to vertical, that's the issue? Go look at the engine. Only place to bolt to is cam tensioner, starter and nothing on other side. Don't think it is good to bolt to motor mount bolt or exhaust flange bolt?

No doubt that spring makes line heavy duty and is crimped to both banjo fittings on both ends. I do have some stainless steel zipties, so maybe suck the line in real close to engine?

If something does get behind line and pulls line, it has to pull the spring as well.
  8. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    The spring may cause vibration damage to the oil line. Something to watch for.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  10. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    Me likey! Great work on both! Your weld look much better than mine would!
  11. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Where did you get the fitting for your brake pedal leash?
  12. lambe67 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC310
    Wow makes me nervous now!! Def thought about that happening to my bike but was like what are the chances of that lol, I guess it is possible. Sorry it happened. Plan on picking up the new enduro engineering oil cover that just came out, although it would help in a situation like urs it's still some protection. Best of luck
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Make it a 2 in 1000 happening....it happened to me...kinda. I have a waterproof boot too!

What the bike needs is a boss cast into the head that holds the line in place. A swift kick of the boot or anything else will push that line counterclockwise and lossen the banjo bolt enough to pump all the oil out of the motor.

I was lucky because I lost my rear brake immeaditely and when I looked down I saw the oil...I killed the bike right away and pushed it back to the truck. No damage at all other than a oily boot.

I run that line as far counterclockwise as I can to keep it from loosening.
  14. kx3089 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Make it 3.A friend of mine hit something just hard enough to turn the bolt back.Didn't realize until it locked up.Total rebuild.
  15. mike_21 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1098S Track Only
    Has anyone thought about a way to add an in line oil pressure switch?
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    oil pressure sending unit? They make fittings that already have the 1/8 npt. The blue AN fitting below has a swivel so the sending unit doesn't have to stick outward.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cyberdyne SENSS6E
  17. mike_21 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1098S Track Only
    That might be a cool project.
  18. Aaronc Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 txc 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    97 xr 400
    if the exhaust was run on the right side like the bigger bikes having an exposed wouldnt be sucha big deal, it would offer some protection and if you did somehow manage to rip off the line you proably would have yard saled and would have bigger problems. i never really liked how that line was askin to get grabbed by some stray branches
  19. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    oregonsage and Tinken like this.
  20. RailwayRog Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    One of the first things I bought before I went riding was a spare oil line and banjo bolts to carry in my back pack.
    I know it would be better to prevent it from getting torn off in the first but it made me nervous from the get go and it makes me wonder about the engineering staff that designs this stuff including that ridiculous oil line to the drain plug.
    I guess I expect a lot from the European motorcycle engineers.