1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250/310 outter Oil line protection guard.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Laura, Jan 24, 2013.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Thanks for reminding me Reveille. I sometimes forget why a Michigan guy for example may spend hours in his garage polishing alloy bits only to eventually (months later after the thaw) go out and thrash his bike in the woods...
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Why not just extend the existing style shield up a few inches (double the height/top of cylinder) with a brace/tab added that mounts to the engine mount and another case screw and shaped to deflect? Granted makes oil servicing a PIA...

zzzzzzz.JPG
  3. stretchrcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Agreed, but the vulnerability of the exposed line is what I'd like to address. While the cause of the failure I experienced is a little less obvious compared to the examples where the line is severed, the result is the same. After the TC failure which I suspect was due to an impact from my boot, I went and closely inspected my brand new TE310 and found it to be tight. However, with a few impacts with my bare hand I was able to knock it loose and remove the banjo bolt. There’s a lot of leverage on the top bolt via the oil line and if it’s moved, even slightly, it can begin leaking and even fall out. I drilled and safety wired the bolts to the line so at least they wouldn’t be able to turn more than a few degrees. That makes me much more comfortable, but rerouting the line so it’s completely protected would be ideal. I’m not down on these bikes, in fact I absolutely love my 310, I just think this is something that can be protected and this is a great place to discuss creative solutions.
    Laura likes this.
  4. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Safety wire is a good solution for the banjo. Any road race prep mandates all fluid fasteners and brake stay bolts to be wired. I would think also if one sleeved some short hose over the oil line and secured with safety wire it may help pull the line in
  5. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 (2011) 12port/ECU/Rekluse
    Since starting this thread, this is my third oil line (the second one got a kink in it somehow) and I really wanted peace of mind that this problem wouldn't happen again. I hate having to look down every time I go through some knarly stuff. Thanks to everyone for sharing thoughts and ideas. Frankly I don't give a damn about whether this problem happens to one of us or 1000 of us. It cost me a whole pile of money to fix, and if I/we can help save one other person from having to go through this, then some good has come from this thread.
    268fords and reveille like this.
  6. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    The external oil line was a stupid idea in my opinion. They pared down the weight of the X-Lite, sacrificing dependability and durability, yet the overall weight of the bike is not significantly different than other bikes in its class. I'd rather have had the engine weigh 3 or 4 pounds more and had more durable bearings, a secondary oil pump, and internal oil galleries. I don't think separate crankcase and transmission oil sumps are too much to ask for either. I personally think separate oil supplies for the engine, transmission, and clutch would be a good idea. Friction modifiers would be good for the engine and gearbox.
    rabskyline likes this.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I can fix this.
  8. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    "My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools."
    LAHuskyrider likes this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

The last generation was pretty much that. People said it was to heavy. (it did still have a external oil line though)

[IMG]
    Mike-AK likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I like the external oil line on the 310. The oil line to the crank and transmission is internal, just above the oil filter. I have an external line on my 525 MXC, never had a problem with it and it makes life simple for oil coolers.
  11. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    there are other bikes out there with what you are asking for...you should buy one.
    DG Harv Serv likes this.
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    and buy extra head gaskets too!
  13. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I'll decide what I should or shouldn't do, but thanks for your opinion.
  14. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    What's the fix in mind Tinken?
  15. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    I'll make something for this, as soon as I seen it when the xlite came out, it was obvious that it was an accident waiting to happen and render people stuck in the middle of nowhere or with a big repair bill.

Where we ride is sometimes very overgrown, tight single trail with lots of branch stubs that have been broken, cut, snapped etc and they will skewer a radiator easily(seen a few) and rip this wiener of a hose clean off and leave you buggered ! I've also seen one that taken an obvious few hits and has damage so it's certainly vulnerable.
    A steel snapped one would be perfect if it contoured the head and block so it's in tight and also solid .

As I see it, it doesn't need a cage or covering up, it just needs a deflector to push anything past it as you move forward, that me a systems one is the right idea, it'll push a branch away from and around it.
    Hats easy or make, il be into it at the weekend ! :)
  16. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Sounds like a good accessory for one our sponsors to design and market. Luckily I ride in rocks, sand and cactus so chances of ripping the line are low, but insurance would be good to have.
  17. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    I made up a little guard, needs to be smoother curves and a bit wider at top and middle but would work, took me an hour yesterday.

I've painted it black but won't fit it, I'll make a better one off this as a basic template.

Attached Files:

18. AlwynMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 250x, Suzuki GS1000

Looks almost as good as your Avatar :)
  19. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Nah, not even close. That avatar could blow the lid off a dead man's casket!
    reveille and rabskyline like this.
  20. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Anyone know the part # for
    the banjo bolt, cracked mine last week