1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250/310 outter Oil line protection guard.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Laura, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Michael Collins Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vtx 1800 , R1 1000 , Sherco 290.
    Good looking forward to seeing the photos
  2. 2wheeler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki TS185
    I am thinking of the oil line Laura has highlighted. I wonder if not disconnecting it from the oil filter cover during oil changes can weaken it over time. But yeah, line 2 that connects to the case and has the stainless filter is annoying and scary at the same time.
  3. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 (2011) 12port/ECU/Rekluse
    Found some really strong braided hose in the basement, wrapped it around the line and secured it with hose clamps. Should definitely reinforce and strengthen things. Just hope the heat won't affect the plastic.. we'll see

20140209_142000.jpg 20140209_142038.jpg 20140209_142105.jpg
    John R Percoski likes this.
  4. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    The stock line is steel braided. The failure mode is not hose abrasion, rather, it is the hose getting caught on something and getting ripped away from the banjo fittings.
    rabskyline and reveille like this.
  5. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I picked up a spare line and crush washers from Halls and keep it in my kit. The oil line only runs $25 or so. Cheap insurance. Not sure how much oil one would lose if it did get ripped off and I don't carry oil with me.:confused:
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I did all the same bullet proofing mods onto my 2013 TXC310R, See above for oil line split fuel line hose doubler zip tied on, simple and looks good too.
    In addition since then I have a zip tie that pulls the hose in. It's attached to the frame just above the engine mount flange and is just a simple long ziptie that holds the hose in closer to the engine case, plus I added a Enduro Engineering guard to the lower section, its the same type that the factory racer used (see the race bike foto).
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I would think that pulling the line in towards the engine case with a zipty would be helpful. I even thought about trying to install an eyelet under the coolant drain plug with a hole for a zipty. Anything to keep the line from getting snagged and torn off. Poor design from the factory...
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    perhaps not the best hose layout but its a design thought driven by making the lightest engine. If they ran the oil through case passages they would needed more material. Also in real world racing looking at the platform history the hose failure issue is non existant. Even among us here it was a "crash" damage issue anything can fail during an impact incident. Have we seen any other fails besides the one 2010-2014 TC250 TXC250 TXC310 TE310 and TE250?.
    A good solution to external oil hose would have it clamped closer to the cases and like shown before maybe routed differently as well. It is what it is, ride the machine, bullet proof what you got, and dont crash into and through things............
  9. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Well...that leaves me out...
    bax3 and reveille like this.
  10. stretchrcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

I’ve had this failure as well on a 2014 TC250. The top banjo bolt came loose and it pumped all the oil out. No signs of impact on the oil line. I actually think it was a boot that hit it while kickstarting. Expensive lesson learned. I also have a TE310 that I keep a close eye on. I safety wired the banjo bolts to help with potential loosening. I like the guard options, but I think I’m leaning towards rerouting the line. Either back around the timing chain adjuster or possibly better yet, go forward behind the skid plate then follow the frame up and then come over the top of the valve cover. With one of the guards protecting the oil filter and lower banjo bolt, that would keep the line completely protected.

Any thoughts on whether routing it this way would affect oil flow? Is the oil pump strong enough that routing it up high wouldn’t affect the pressure?
  11. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Won't affect oil pressure.

Will take slightly longer for oil to get to the head on startup, saying this though there will still be residual oil in there from previous running, unless its after a tear down/ rebuild which would have assembly lube on it anyways.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the issues from re-routing the line and oil delivery problems, although I reckon the best alternative is a solid hard line.
    reveille likes this.
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    A solid hydraulic tubing line, hand bent to stay close to the cylinder sounds intriguing. It would need to be removed every time the filter is swapped though. May not be a big deal with hydraulic flared fittings though.
  13. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Too bad you can't get an FE450 in the States yet. That would be the best oil line fix.
    robertaccio likes this.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The best fix for that oil line is to make it longer.
    robertaccio likes this.
  15. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Has there been any reports of an oil line being ripped off?
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  17. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Flared stainless pipe with JIC hyd fittings will take numerous goes at undoing-doingup before leaking.

Only issue I can see is a hard pipe will not allow much flex which possibly could put strain on the oil filter cover??

Agree with the easier/ and possibly cheaper option is to make it longer.
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    you guys are way too surgical....Im done with this thread.
    Tim Randall likes this.
  19. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    This is not the torn off hose crash damage issue or even a failure at all, you had a banjo bolt come loose, that is a maintenance issue, or an OEM torque issue, nothing failed. (not a broken bolt, leaking hose fitting or stripped threads etc)
  20. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Very true, but most of us can't ride during winter so all we have is this forum to get us through.:busted:
    robertaccio likes this.