1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250/310 outter Oil line protection guard.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Laura, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 (2011) 12port/ECU/Rekluse
    This oil line is sticking out about an inch and a half from the engine and last summer I managed to rip it right off when I was bush whacking around some fallen trees.... Anybody know of a special guard to protect this from damage? This is a terrible place to put a braided oil line. Thankfully I wasn't deep in the bush, but I did do some major damage to the engine cause I didn't notice the oil leaking out until it was too late... and it cost me way too much money....

Laura

TE 250 Oil line.jpg
  2. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    We have an oil filter cover guard that will be available very shortly that protects the oil filter cover area and the banjo bolt and lower part of the oil line. I have banged this area several times from falls and close encounters with rocks, but yours is the first time I have heard of someone tearing the oil line off.

husky pics 027.JPG
  3. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    oo i like that guard clay!
    use one of them with a lil delta wing fab'd from allum origniating from the 2nd up frame through bolt going back would be super easy and effective.
  4. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It basically ripped from where the black hose connected at the top of the metal tube. So this guard you are talking about would be better if it continued all the way up to the top (in my case). I must have snagged a major branch or something in between the line and the engine.. I don't even recall doing this until I got out on the road and the oil ran dry. Very bad luck for me. Thanks for the reply

Laura
  5. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
  6. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    I went and peeked at mine. I remember being concerned about the oil line when I first bought it but its been fine. Looks like some basic fabrication skills could net a guard that uses the bolts for the forward engine mount and one head pipe to head bolt. Im not sure if this would be recommended by some though as I suppose it could cut off some air flow to the motor. If made from aluminum that could take a hit but have some give I doubt either bolt would break. Now I might have to go tinker in the garage. Darn!
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    meca makes wicked nice stuff. tried to get some goodies from them to here in the Sates back in 09 but it was too tough. wonder if they are importing over here now? i'm signed up to their Ralley feeds and updates.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Just a thought, but it would be very easy to have a custom hydraulic line created with banjo ends that would fit tighter to the engine case and possibly swing around back before arriving at the cylinder head.
    Laura likes this.
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Best to keep this line turned back couterclockwise at the head to keep a stray kick from backing out the bolt.....don't ask me how I know!
    Tinken likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Come to think about it, I wish I had that line on my 511. I'd run it along the frame and into coils inside the radiator before the head. It would be like having a water jacket around your clutch. Those engines would definitely last longer with water cooled oil.
  11. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I Found the pic of when it happened.. such a bummer. I literally have no idea how this happened... without me knowing

IMG_0847.JPG
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    That is a bummer. I do like Clay's guard for the lower banjo. But you clearly ripped that one out from the top and a guard may of not helped you.

I would run a longer hydraulic line close to the engine (red line) or close to the engine around from the back (purple). Down here we have "Hose Man" shops that make these hydraulic cables everyday. It would be simple to just have one made up. I'm sure you have shops up there that could do the job as well. Or one of the CH sponsors could set you up?

[IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...toreId=10001&Jnar=0&N=0&catalogId=10002&Nty=0
  13. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    OH SNAP! THAT SUCKS! Bummer. Will making the line longer affect anything? I wouldnt think that pressure drop would be an issue. Just curious. I dont know the inner workings of these motors like most do. I agree that changing the line position would be a great idea.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    No, not at all. Maybe if you made the line six feet longer, but we're talking inches.
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    After that pic, think I'll make one out of aluminum over this weekend.
    Laura likes this.
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    it would take all of maybe 10 mins to make a lil delta wing/tri-angle deflector from alum. you can even swiss-cheese it or whatever. be a lot less than a new line too. just sayin!
  17. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Wow! It is amazing that you didn't notice when that happened. I would have thought it would take a pretty significant blow to rip that like that. Not to mention that something was reaching in right by your boot to grab that line. We did look at doing a guard like you are talking about that reaches all the way up, but didn't think there were that many cases of this happening. Hmmmmmm?:rolleyes:
  18. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Wow. The previous owner of my bike put one of these on the line for protection, but I doubt that it would have saved it from that kind of impact. I wonder if a custom line from Galfer or Motion Pro would have a more robust connection between banjo bolt and line?

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/SpiralWrap.php?gclid=CMPonILwg7UCFYxaMgodwDwA2w

What kind of engine damage resulted from the torn line?
  19. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    All the oil was gone from the engine and it seized up completely.. Damage to Cylinder wall and cylinder. top end was o.k. I replaced everything with Husky parts. Go figure that you can't buy a cylinder separately from the connecting rod $$$.

Very bad lesson learned here. And I still to this day don't know how it happened without me feeling it.. So frustrating. $2000 costly mistake. I hope others can learn from this
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Not trying to discount your mishap, but that is really a one in a xxxxx number failure.
    We constantly get mishap reports in and need to do investigations that lead to no action,,,,,or some action to minimize risk or even total redesigns depending on failure trends.
    The number of 250/310s in the world that have done this is probably 1 (again that doesnt discount your personal issue, dont take me as a jerk just doing the risk math without true numbers data)
    As for our x-lite external oil line (less is more, engineering) no need to have more engine case material for internal oil passage runs (thats the idea). I'm sure thats why we have this, many friends point to it immediately.
    My "fix" bulletproof mod, would not even have stopped this ripped off issue. My mod is a split fuel line hose secondary doubler cover ziptied over the whole thing from the back of the fittings to just protect the line from impacts and or sharp cactus or branch pokes (we also do alot of bushwack rides).
    I did see that the CH Racing factory Husky 250/310s all have had filter cover guards (same like Clay's type) over them for last few years, so they addresssed some of the potential issue, racing=minimize potential failure/damage spots=bullet proofing.
    Anyway again we are all sorry for that one big $$$ mishap, but I would chalk it up as one in a mil thing but would do everything to minimize that risk . Hose doubler, good coverage skid plate with possible addition of filter cover as outlined above. (Good post-oil line torn off sucks!!)RN
    on my machine good coverage skid plate
    [IMG]
    CH Racing "factory" WEC racer with oil filter lower hose cover
    [IMG]
    on my machine line cover/doubler. (most of it anyway) before I installed the heavy skid plate.
    [IMG]
    Aaron8 likes this.