Trivial battery thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by blaine.hale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I was just speaking with Shorai, and found that the lxf19a4, may be a better choice. A bit more cranking amps and shorter. I am not sure if our leads are long enough for this, unless I can find the opposite polarity.

If you order from the shorai website, you can use the coupon code "springstarter2014" and get 10% off and free shipping.

http://shoraipower.com/lfx19a4-bs12-p41720 $179

[IMG]
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I just saw that Deltran (Battery Tender) is making LiFePo4 batteries now, with TWO sets of terminals. Priced in line with Shorai batteries, these seem like a much better option. No more worrying about lead length.

http://batterytender.com/battery_info/

[IMG]
    PaulC likes this.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    What do you think of this, Ballistic 8 cell EVO2? I like the specs, I love the look. I would prefer terminals opposite. It is rather small so it may not matter much which side. Put the tool kit under it to raise it up to proper height.

http://www.amazon.com/BALLISTIC-PERFORMANCE-LITHIUM-EVO2-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B005KLOYYC

[IMG]

http://www.alienmotion.com/am12.html $159
    [IMG]

Or $129 http://www.alienmotion.com/am8.html
    [IMG]

With the Alien Motion, you can pick the polarity. Think I may order one up, 8 cell, the 12 seems like overkill.
    PaulC likes this.
  4. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Can the EarthX batteries you guys sell Tinken be sent internationally?
  5. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mag00, I'd say you're stretching the bare minimum capacity for this bike with that 8 cell. the 12 cell also doesn't have any CCA stats listed. that is one of the big determining factors for me.
  6. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Mag00....

I have the Ballistic Battery 8 Cell EVO 2 Lithium (1lb 10oz...around 600 miles now i have 16200. I did it for weight and space.
    Not one problem...never charged it yet. Did have bike in freezing temps in Utah/Colo late oct.... started every morning.

They are pricey $140 ish....the bike is a awesome all-rounder and deserve it.
    My thoughts were that cheap BMW battery would fail me in backcountry one day.
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    In the description on the 12 cell "This model provides over 300 pulse amps of cranking performance while coming in well under 3Lbs."

I think the 8 should be fine. The lead acid BMW battery, the Terra came with is only 180A 10ah.

I like the Ballistic that tweber talks of, but I do not know if they can reverse the polarity. Then, based on the wonderful write up of the way these things are made, and who makes the cells, I would assume that the Ballistic and Alien Motion are going to be very similar in performance.

I know that Shorai recommends the lfx18 over the lfx14, and the lfx19a4 would be my choice for the Shorai, but the Ballistic and Alien motion seem to use the canister cells, vs the pouch. For $129, if it doesn't perform, it can go in another bike or the scooter. If it does well int the Terra, a 4 cell may be in order for the scooter.
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

My situation seem opposite of you north folks. Temps out here get over 100 regular. A lead acid batter deteriorates fast in the high temps. The LifePo batteries perform excellent at 150 degrees internal temp. I rarely if ever would take my bike out below 40 degrees. I need the weight savings and space also.

I don't run any bling, so I don't need tons of battery. I may run a usb power, for gopro and maybe, just maybe, one of them new fangled navigation toys.
  9. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Somehow I missed that in the description.
    Am i reading that the 8 cell only has 4.4 amp/hour capacity?

10. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    http://www.alienmotion.com/am8.html.......Looks like a great batt.

I run heated grips ozford and usb and gps and ran wire for more lights. Its hard to get a pic...that shows the space saved but it is great...i have padding on all sides.

I have access to the ballistic smart charger...and i will charge it in few months.
    image.jpg
    Darman and mag00 like this.
  11. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The smart charger for the Alien Motion is fairly cheap.

I'm now thinking of moving the battery out from under the seat, and putting it where the airbox is going to go missing. Then instead of a 9 lb battery, I can have TOOLS.
  12. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)

I'd like to hear what you have in mind for changing the filtration system. Nyjoytheride (adv inmate) did a filter install that looks like it should work well.
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I like what he did, far superior to what we have stock. Since he cut his airbox, may as well remove it and save weight and gain space. Looking at the bike, with panels off, it looks like besides moving a smaller lighter battery forward, there is plenty of room on the right hand side to now add a steering stabilizer, tho old school ones.

A subframe will need to be designed and manufactured to hold the stock plastic. That frame can hold the battery, a connection/fuse block, the mount for a linear stabilizer (a whole new topic) and whatever I can dream up.
  14. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)

I'm glad you explained that a sub-frame would need to be added for the plastics. What I had in mind was leaving the bottom pan on the bike so I could utilize it as you described. I think there is room for a considerable collection of stuff in that bottom pan. On the other hand having it gone would make adjusting valves and such a lot easier. I am picking up some odd parts from Craig (nyjoytheride) in about two weeks when I ride to his place. After I get those I will inventory what I need and get stuff ordered to do his retrofit.
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I ordered up a ballistic 8 cell today. Should have it Friday. It looks as though the Alien Motion balancing charger will work also, at a significant savings.
  16. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    No problems with my Shorai thus far. It starts the bike right up even after a night of being outside in the teens.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Yes, they can be shipped internationally. Call or email us for shipping options: Danny@Ziptyracing.com
  18. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I just got an email from Earthx, they recommend the ETX18C. I will upgrade in a couple of months.
    Tinken likes this.
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Shedding over 7 lbs.

DSC07939.JPG

DSC07935.JPG

DSC07937.JPG
    PaulC and Scutler like this.