Trivial battery thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by blaine.hale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    Hey folks,

This is probably trivial but I wanted to see what the collective on the stock battery was before I go to the dealer. Has anyone else's stock battery already kicked the bucket? Are you replacing it or was it covered under warranty?
    At this point, I can't afford to dump another 100+ on a battery. I'm hoping the dealer will cover mine under warranty. I normally would just buy a nice Odyssey or Lithium Ion battery, but I just did that last week for the old beemers. :(
  2. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Batteries are normally warrantied for 12 months. I know here in Australia, where 2 year warranties are offered on bikes, they stipulate 12 months on the battery only. IF you take it to the dealer and they find it is not holding a charge I see no reason why they wouldn't swap it out for a new one.
    blaine.hale likes this.
  3. clayk Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati PS1000LE, 1984 Honda VF1000f
    I bought a demo with 300 miles and a week later the battery died. The local dealer did not stock the BMW battery and gave me a smaller Yuasa replacement at no charge, I had put some Shorai batteries in my other bikes so I had plenty of foam to make it fit correctly. I did ask for the battery out of their demo but no luck.
  4. NYCMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 TE310R,13 Strada,
    Other Motorcycles:
    1977 Rm125,78 Rm125, 80 RM125...KTM
    I think mines dead.I left the key on somehow yesterday and fully discharged the battery. Now it wont take a charge. It does get juice if i hook up the wave runner battery.
  5. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Looks like an Odyssey pc680 might fit....
  6. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    I did the same thing. It took a couple days to charge.
  7. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not even close.
    I have 2 of them for my old airheads.
  8. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda

Tha'ts too bad ....I like the odyssey batteries
    mag00 likes this.
  9. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    My battery went completely flat after sitting a week or so with nothing on except some 12v cell phone etc. charging cords that were not hooked to any devices wired through my Battery Tender plug. Turns out those little status LEDs suck more current than I thought. The battery charged right up and has been fine ever since.
  10. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine's definitely dead. Reads something like .34 volts and will not accept a charge. I took it to the dealer the other day and they said they wouldn't take it under warranty because Husky would just deny it. He sold me another crappy battery at cost for them ($65.)
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sadly the lack of warranty on certain items is a reality.

If the dealer was willing to sell at their cost, that sounds reasonable to be. But I would be tempted to inquire about ordering in a battery you were truly interested in, instead of whatever he had in stock (assuming he was willing, and you could wait).
  12. NYCMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 TE310R,13 Strada,
    Other Motorcycles:
    1977 Rm125,78 Rm125, 80 RM125...KTM
    Im good mine charged up and is good as new.
  13. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I would contact Husky warranty dept directly, or via a different dealer. The warranty dept might deny the claim, but that is their decision to make, and not the dealers. The dealer will usually give the warranty advice to the warranty dept, but in the case of a battery, all they can really say is that the battery will or will not hold a charge, and it's hard to see how a battery that does not hold a charge would not be eligible for replacement if it was still within the warranty term.
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    When I get a new battery, I will pony up for a good lithium battery and save some weight. Also the Odyssey batteries are awesome, had one in my GS.

I'm a fan of the new technology, especially with this bike.
  15. Wyorider Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2011 KTM 450 EXC
    I had the same problem with another battery. I found out that certain chargers won't kick on unless there is a minimum amount of voltage. Mine was a Yuasa maintainer/ charger. I had to put on an old n.charger to get the voltage up enough for the drip charger to kick in.
  16. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I run nothing but odysseys in all my bikes and they've all lasted well over 5 years and all crank in the dead of winter. They are wonderful batteries. I'm going to try Lithium Ion eventually but the Odysseys fit my old bikes much better and weight isn't a factor.
    I would have bought one for the terra but I had JUST bought an odyssey for the r75 and I'm on a budget until the end of the year. I was super disappointing the warranty would not cover the crappy BMW battery but not really shocked. I will never buy another new bike again. The experience has just been awful. I love the terra, but I'm more happy buying used or vintage.
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I have to ask, what is the warranty on a BMW battery over the counter?

Is it a year? If so, take the battery if you still have it to BMW dealer, with your purchase paperwork for the bike. They should honor the warranty. You bought the battery, you can prove the date, if still under warranty I would think that BMW would have to honor it. You bought the battery from an authorized dealer.
  18. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:

This is the battery that came with the husqvarna. According to the dealer, they could submit the paperwork to get paid for a replacement battery but it would be turned down in a month and they'd be out of pocket on a battery if they replaced mine.
  19. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Blaine, Your dealer is BMW of Atlanta, right?
  20. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:

Bmw, husqvarna, ducati Atlanta. Yep.