Trivial battery thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by blaine.hale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    That’s a damn shame; I can’t believe they couldn’t get you a replacement somehow.
    They know the BMW batteries are junk.
    I am sure they have warranted plenty from BMW.
  2. clayk Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati PS1000LE, 1984 Honda VF1000f
    That is the dealer I got mine from. They made it a point of telling me what junk the BMW batteries were when they subbed a Yuasa for me under warranty. I had had the bike less than a month but they still should have covered yours, to have an unhappy customer over a $65 battery seems pretty short sighted in my opinion.
    Tinken and mag00 like this.
  3. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    That's the same battery they sold me. They didn't include the screws and nuts so it's just been sitting on my bench until I find some that fit. Yippee.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    My Yuasa lasted 5 years in one of my bikes, I was impressed.
  5. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Personally I would hunt down the written warranty and see what it says in regards to the battery. If it is covered, show em in writing. They will honor it if in writing.

Anybody have a link or PDF of the warranty?
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Reviving an old thread here. There have been some questions over on ADV on what aftermarket batteries fit the TR650. My TR came with a AGM battery, and I'll run it until it dies. However, I too would like to find a more compact battery to fill that space when the time comes. Something along the lines of a Shorai. Anyone found a lithium replacement? Anyone have part numbers?

If I recall correctly, the stock battery is 180cca and 10aH. Theoretically anything that meets those requirements should work.
  7. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    This looks to be the correct battery. It is for a BMW single. http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=7366&model=7367&year=7367
  8. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is what I was thinking for the Shorai too. The LFX14L5-BS12 looks about right physically, and the performance specs are spot on. Personally, I'll stick with AGM, but try to find a more compact one that meets my demands. This will enable me to clean up my install a bit and take advantage of a few extra cubic inches of space. Weight is not so much of a concern.

Anyone done anything else out there? I'm just trying to solicit responses for the masses.

I found this thread over on ADV and it is very informative. If nothing else, just read the second post.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934
  9. MGJohnE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050 , Speedmaster
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Does anyone have the physical dimensions on the stock battery? I would like to match it with my Earthx batteries to see if one would fit.
  11. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Buy a Shorai. We have them in all our bikes and i have had them is all bikes and racing bikes for a few years now. Much lighter better cranking, hold charge much longer and physically smaller. Smaller for the required capacity means you can put a bigger capacity battery into a the same space if you are running extra current draw stuff. They also do care which way they are orientated as they have no liquid.
    Having said that mobile phones and tablets can draw as much as 2amps so any battery will get sucked down. Even one amp will relatively quickly discharge a motorcycle battery. Once a lead acid battery is fully discharged it isnt going to be happy ever again, unless it is a deep cycle one which is unlikely to be on a motorcycle.
  12. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Lead acid batteries are SOOOOOOO 19th centuary...
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    What if I showed you a battery that was better than a Shorai?
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Can one of you guys provide the actual stock battery model....it would make it a lot easier to cross reference and find better solutions.

According to my friendly battery guy the TR isnt listed in catalogs.
    Tinken likes this.
  15. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    Taken from ridingdonkeys on ADVrider:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hansi [IMG]
    Looking to replace my Terra's Battery with a Shorai Lithium Ion or similar.
    Anybody know what # battery will fit?

Not exactly, but here is what I do know.

Stock BMW part number is 182730-10

The important bit is that 12v, 10Ah, and 180 CCA. Given those numbers, as long as you don't exceed the physical size of the current battery, you should be good.
  16. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Lets check it out!
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I need physical dimensions of the battery enclosure so I can it match up. I know the ETX12B fits but I'd like to match one of the larger Ex batteries.

[IMG]

If we took both a Shorai and an Earthx battery of equal amp hour size and plugged them into an 8” halogen, both would light the headlamp equally as well. But after fully discharging both batteries we could test both batteries and find that the Shorai is permanently damaged (bricked), while the Earthx can be fully restored with a simple charge. This is due to the battery management system on board with the Earthx batteries. Shorai's battery management system is built into their proprietary charger.

If both batteries were under warranty, the Shorai replacement is 50% of the retail cost, where as the Earthx would be free of charge.
    Next, PaulC and Chuffa like this.
  18. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    If that were the case, pretty much any high-end smart phone would be useless. A Samsung Galaxy S3 comes standard with a 2100mAh battery. If it where to draw 2A the phone would be useless after 1 hour, and yet it lasts me about 24h on a charge.
    I charge my phone, intercom, GPS and camera batteries from the bike all the time (while riding) when on holiday and never had a problem. Not even on my Tenere, which has very little spare capacity coming from the reg/rec compared to the TR.
    Draining the battery on the TR whiel riding would take a lot of extra electrical bling constantly on: a couple of bright (non-led) fog lights, constant on heated grips, and probably a hairdryer or something ;)
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think what he was really getting at was the chargers for these devices can draw as much as 2 amps. I've got a 1.5a USB charger that plugs into my 12v accessory. I don't keep my phone constantly plugged in on the Husky, but with that charger I can go from dead to full in less than 30 minutes of charging.
  20. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I love the idea of a lithium battery, with one exception, the cold. I'm a year round rider, and I've seen lots of lithium batteries that have a tough time starting in the cold. AGM tends to perform much better below freezing.