Trivial battery thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by blaine.hale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Earthx good to -30
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    So are the Shorais. Technically, they will work down to those temperatures, but working and working at capacity are two different things. The very nature of lithium batteries is that they must be warm to operate properly. Most lithium motorcycle batteries recommend you let the ignition sit with your headlight on for several minutes if you're trying to start a bike below freezing. This is to get current running through the battery so that it will warm up. So presuming you are 100% charged when you shut your bike off, then you will probably be good. However, if you are running low, then using current BEFORE you try to start your battery is an exercise in futility.

I would definitely choose a EarthX over a Shorai. We ran LiFePo4 on several applications in Afghanistan, and the cold was always an issue, especially when the temp started falling below the 25F (-4C) range. So I would definitely shoot for a larger capacity than the stock battery to help with the potential cold start issues on a motorcycle. However, for the money spent, I could buy several AGM batteries and never worry about cold starts. I don't need to shed 8lbs that badly.
  3. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    " If that were the case, pretty much any high-end smart phone would be useless. A Samsung Galaxy S3 comes standard with a 2100mAh battery. If it where to draw 2A the phone would be useless after 1 hour, and yet it lasts me about 24h on a charge."
    I was referring to the CHARGING current, not the use current. We have a problem with Sally's Samsung Galaxy 2 and he tablet not charging from the car adaptor but it charged OK from the wall adapter.Went to an electronics place and the guy there said many phones and tablets charge at 2amps. The one we had was 1500mA ( ie 1.5A). Bought a 2 amp one and it charged, so it definitely draws more than 1.5A.
  4. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I was under the impression that lithium batteries would outperform comparable lead-acid batteries in cold weather - however the caveat here is that people choose lithium because a smaller lighter lithium battery can do the job of the stock lead acid battery, and in very cold weather a smaller lithium battery might underperform the standard battery. I do know that the manufacturers of "Spot" GPS trackers recommend only using lithium batteries in their devices because they will outperform alkaline and Ni-Mh batteries.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    AGM is different from the oem lead acid batteries found in most motorcycles. AGM batteries have the same working temperature range as lithium batteries, but have a reduced charge capacity at colder temperatures. At -20 degrees the typical AGM battery is at 20% of total capacity where as the lithium is closer to 80%. That 20% is usually sufficient to start the motorcycle.
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    It depends by what metric you are measuring. For purposes of this post, flooded lead acid isn't even an option. It is old tech and both these technologies make it obsolete for our chosen application.

Tinken is correct in that your standard AGM charge capacity is 20% at -20C versus 80% for the Lithium. However, charging is not what you're looking to do there in most cases. You are looking to discharge it, specifically by starting your motorcycle. This is where the AGM outperforms Lithium. AGMs will discharge much more efficiently in the cold, so much so that they even discharge faster with no/low load. Put three motorcycles up for a Yankee winter with three different batteries. One flooded lead acid, one AGM, and one LiFePo4. By two months into it, the flooded lead acid will be dead, the AGM will be getting close to dead, and the LiFePo4 will be just fine.

Lithium batteries don't discharge at full capacity until warmed internally. So a lithium battery rated at 200cca won't perform at 200cca in freezing temperatures UNTIL it is warmed up. At that point, the battery itself becomes warmer than the outside air, and will function just fine.

So how does this affect your choice in batteries?

If you are buying a LiFePo4 battery with the exact same specs as the stock battery (10ah, 180CCA), then you might have issues if you ride in cold weather, or more specifcally, start your bike in cold weather. Emphasis on the words "might have issues." It isn't a guarantee, and different people define problems different ways. Your bike will start, but you may have to warm up the battery before you can warm up the engine. Shorai recommends that you let the headlight burn for a few minute prior to firing the starter. The way around this is to take advantage of the decreased physical size and buy a LiFePo4 battery that has a greater capacity and CCA rating than the stock battery. Then it will fire better when cold, possibly eliminating the need for warming while giving you the ability to run more stuff.

If you are buying AGM, you won't have anything to worry about unless you are trying to charge your battery in extreme cold. Charging capacities start to drop significantly on a AGM battery around 32F/0C. This doesn't bother most people because they are only worried about starting their bike, not charging their battery. Once the bike is started, the battery warms, and charging goes back to nominal capacity. However, no "warming" of the battery should be necessary to start a motorcycle down to about -4F/-20C. AGMs will also be heavier and larger than LiFePo4 batteries for like capacities, however, they are much less expensive.

So unless you're trying desparately to save a few pounds or trying to squeeze significantly more capacity into a smaller space, the cost-benefit analysis for most people will favor AGM. However, if you're an electronics geek like me, you still find yourself strangely attracted to nice $200+ Lithium. Riding with heated goodies now has opened up a whole new temperature range for me. I've started my bike in single digits Farenhet twice in the last two weeks, and my AGM performed flawlessly with a one-touch start. However, when I got to work and started playing with my Lithium powered "work toys", I had some problems. So this has me personally leaning towards keeping a AGM in play for the Husky. The hacks will definitely get the Lithium treatement in the year to come though.
    Muchmore likes this.
  7. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    What's cold?
    Greg
    Queensland
    Australia
    snail_72 likes this.
  8. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cold is what you'll be feeling in July, while I'm enjoying the Summer heat.
    PaulC likes this.
  9. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    I have my Shorai on order. I ride year around in the cold so I'll keep you guys updated with my results.
  10. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

You need to check a map :). Where Greg lives is about the same distance from the equator as Cuba. They don't have cold weather there, even in what the rest of us would call winter.
    snail_72 likes this.
  11. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Admittedly, I didn't even pay attention to the Queensland part. I just knew he was from down under. Dang, I'd love to be living where he's at.
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

"Dang, I'd love to be living where he's at."

Not me. I like the cold. Couldn´t stand the heat in Oz. My two lithium batteries take a bit longer to fire up in the cold. But then they come on much stronger than traditional lead batteries. And I´ve had them for two years now.
    Scutler likes this.
  13. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Winter? What's winter. Summer! now Summer I know already...
    RidingDonkeys likes this.
  14. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    The Shorai batter I ordered did not fit. I will post some pics. I will need to find a smaller Shorai to exchange for.
  15. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    DID NOT FIT! Which battery did you order? The one I got for mine ( recommended by the Shorai guys and bigger capacity and cranking current than std) has enough room around it to put my bottle of fuses and a 12v accessory plug and still have room left over. Even with the extra foam sheets to cushion the battery.
  16. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Model number LFX14L5-BS12. This model is made for the BMW F650GS - 1993-2007 Single. So one would assume this is the correct model for the TR650. Well it definitely is not. Which model did you use?? I will exchange for it.

Thank you
  17. MGJohnE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050 , Speedmaster
    Like I said in an earlier post, I have a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 in my Terra. Fits great and it's a little smaller than the stock BMW battery.
  18. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks MGJohnE
  19. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    I got the Ballistic Battery 8 Cell EVO 2 Lithium (1lb 10oz...around 600 miles now i have 16200. I did it for weight and space.
    Not one problem...never charged it yet. Did have bike in freezing temps in Utah/Colo late oct.... started every morning.

They are pricey $140 ish....the bike is a awesome all-rounder and deserve it.
    My thoughts were that cheap BMW battery would fail me in backcountry one day.
  20. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    I have a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 installed in my Terra. Been working well even in sub 30 temps. Got to love the size and weight