Trivial battery thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by blaine.hale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Louisbiker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    works for me fine. no warnings in chrome.
  2. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Well all I get is....

ECSHOP info: Can't Connect MySQL Server(localhost:3306)!

Not exactly a Virus ???
  3. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Posting here as it seems the best place to put the info

I struggled with how to get a GS911 hooked up on a Terra and then still be able to put the seat back on to be able to ride it and collect real time data, I dont recommend to anyone what we had to do to achieve it, if anyone buys a GS911 clear some space with a physically smaller battery

The under seat area is diabolical with a lack of space. Along the way the owner and I discovered the large battery fitted stock is touching the bottom of the seat as well and wearing into it. It seems clear the bike was really designed for the smaller battery shown in an earlier post in this thread. The diagnostics socket also comes pretty much into contact with the bottom of the seat.

Anyway to cut a long story short it frustrated me to the point I looked at lithium battery alternatives as they clear up some space under the seat

My conclusion is that of the known robust Lithium batteries (EarthX and AntiGravity) that the AntiGravity AG1201 is the pick of the bunch, it is a compromise between improved capacity and physical size. The EarthX is not as tall so clears some space at the top but the AntiGravity AG1201 clears some space at both the top and at the side where the GS911 (or other items) could sit

AG1201 (12-cell), 12ah PbEq, CCA 360 A, weight 1.0 kgs, 115Lx82Wx108H mm
    Slowflyer likes this.
  4. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    My bike came with an aftermarket unit Motobatt MBTX12U. No rubbing, no spare space either. 12AH, 220 CCA. Google for motobatt_crossreference.pdf for equivalents.
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    An update to this.....

About 15 months ago the YTX-14BS battery in my Nuda 900R failed in a similar manner to my original TR650 unit.

Looking at the specs of the different batteries and living in a warm climate where temperatures rarely fall below 25c I decided that I do not need the high Cold Cranking Amps CCA as specified in the stock batteries.

Therefore I 'stole' the YTX-12BS that I had previously fitted to the TR650 and put it into the Nuda and purchased an even smaller YTX-9BS for the TR650.

Both have been working perfectly well and I still have space in my TR650 battery compartment.

Here are the relevant Yuasa battery specs - http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuasa_Specs_Apps_2015.pdf
  6. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Looking for any guidance or recommendations on Lithium battery. Based on your experience with your TR.
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm running a Bikaster currently and it seems fine. Early on in ownership I tried a ballistic and that was garbage and they would not honor their warranty. Earth X is highly recommended and probably the best and most reliable lithium on the market, but you will pay for that, over $200.

Getting a charge. There is some shipping regulation that these cannot ship with a full charge. So don't be surprised if that happens to your new battery. bikemaster-lithiumion.jpg
    PaulC and reveille like this.
  8. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Recently learnt the cheaper lithium batteries are often let down by their BMS and not the lithium component. (Battery Management Sys)

Dave I noticed the welding rod, :thinking: that is a battery charger connected right:lol:
    Thumpa, reveille and mag00 like this.
  9. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Mag, I had the same bad luck with Ballistic. Total waste of time and money. I hope the bikemaster treats you good.
    Thumpa likes this.
  10. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Greatly appreciate the feedback. Earth X little pricey . I'm guessing the Bikemaster more within reasonable price range.
    I did talk to Battery Tender. They have a new Lithium coming with over charge protection. And a few other hoodads and wotnots. But not till late july. And maybe also pricey. Also hear good things about Antigravity.
    How long have you run the Bikemaster? Anything worthy of not, likes/dislikes?
  11. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I got this battery for less than $100 delivered off ebay. I liked it and bought another, and my friend with a Strada bought one also. Seller is out. I have had it about 2 months now I guess, bike cranks a bit easier and starts better. Fits well.

If this hadn't come along, I wouldn't have paid the list price of $169, I would have ponied the extra money for the earth x.

If you are thinking of the antigravity, just spend a little more and get the top shelf one with the good warranty. :thumbsup:
  12. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Lithium-Ion (LI-IO) and Lithium Polymer (LI-PO) are both quite volatile chemical combinations especially when at a full charge. This is why they are not allowed to be shipped by air, and any lithium batteries you carry onto a plane are required to be carried in hand luggage and not in the cargo hold. They are more stable at 40%-50% charge and it's most likely any li-io or li-po batteries you buy larger than a torch battery will be shipped at half charge or less for that reason.
  13. Bikerdude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR, Versys,DL1000 Suzuki,
    Im not sure why I'm bringing this up, but my TR650 still has the original battery that came with it when I bought the bike in 2013. Anyone else?
  14. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Shori is the way to go. Mine has lasted 5 years in my TC449.

Paw Paw
  15. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Mine chewed through a couple in short order.
    There's a significant drain on the system at rest. Heated grips, handlebar power outlet?
    Never had a bike before that had to be on a float charge all the time.
  16. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Mine as well. Changed the battery on my wife's bike once in 100.000km and that was due to issues in the wiring harness.
  17. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    mine too. I think it has a 2012 date stamp. Still going strong.
  18. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Had my Shorai battery in a G450X since 2012 still works perfect and only gets ridden occasionally. I only attach it to a battery maintainer for a few days at a time once every couple of months.

I have a Tusk Racing Lithium battery in my '15 FE 501 Husky that I got from Rocky Mountain which was much more reasonably priced than most all other Lithium battery brands and it has worked fine for the past 4+ years. It very seldom gets ridden as well and I have hardly ever hooked it up to the battery maintainer at all. Since I bought a side by side because of health issues and taking blood thinners, it sits for months at a time. It fires right up and it hasn't been taken out since mid Feb of 2019. since I've had those aforementioned health issues. I have only ridden the 2 dirt bikes around the block a few times since the start of 2019. They both fire up anytime.
  19. bikewanker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr,fz,gs,vfr, & &
    Yes sir, still starting at maybe 30,000 miles. Hard to be accurate with a bad button!
  20. Cpan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz400,Crf230,Ctx200
    I’m still on original BMW battery and my bike sits for months with occasional starts or charging
    Still holds its charge for weeks after a long ride.