Trivial battery thread

Discussion in 'TR650' started by blaine.hale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W

Wow! That looks worse than my experience, and mine was bad enough. I am done with the illusion of a better lighter battery until something comes along that is proven. Lead acid or even, AGM and gel is at least a proven platform and half the cost to boot. Battery technology has been a disappointment to say the least. I am hopeful but skeptical from here on out.
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    That wasn't my KLR, but was one of my friends'. I think Ballistic just makes a cheap product. However, there are several manufacturers out there making quality LiFePo4 batteries. EarthX makes good stuff. Minus the early models, Shorais have been good to people. I just ordered a Deltran for my Ural because it offered great features and quality construction for not much more than an AGM would have run me. Sure, $170 was a chunk for a battery, but considering I've bought three batteries in three years at $100 a piece, I had hit my limit with Yuasa.
    PaulC likes this.
  3. ebrake Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR 250(sold)
    Do you know what Yuasa model they put in there? I am having a heck of a time finding an AGM that is short enough.
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Well, my ballistic battery died. Just was dead the next day after riding, will not take and hold a charge. Got about a half year out of it, and to use the warranty will cost me more than just buying a good battery that is dependable.

The technology just isn't refined enough for use in my bikes. Glad it died when home, and not when out touring. FYI ballistic is a shit company to deal with, my dealer is dropping them now because of how they handled the warranty.
    PaulC and reveille like this.
  5. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    If it will fit get an Odyssey, I think a PC680 is the BMW replacement size....But look it up
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I love the Odyssey batteries. I looked at them, but still had my old battery and that is back in it. I bought a chinese 250 enduro and was thinking of going lifepo4 with it, as it has a kick start in case the battery fails. I just got off the phone with Deltron and their battery is not for me. They say it needs to be on a tender.

I pretty much told them that a consumer product should be consumer friendly and would pass on their product, and they did not give a hoot. Dodged a bullet.
    PaulC likes this.
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    They suck! Been there done that. Done with ballistic as well. Sorry you had to deal with them. I was 15 miles from camp and it died. That was a long day. That's the day I figured out a 310 won't run with a dead battery.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Lithium, like those in my cordless drill, are pretty high maintenance. You have to keep them charged, managed. Lead acid is more forgiving, but heavy. I still have my Earth X, 2.5 years now. I keep it charged up and it keeps, me running.
    robertaccio and reveille like this.
  9. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Almost 2 years with Earth X on 2 bikes. So far so good with no maintenance charging done.
    PaulC, robertaccio and reveille like this.
  10. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    27,000 miles and 2 years and 4 months on stock battery. How long will it last?
  11. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:

The Ural has been running a Deltran for a year now. It has never, not once, been on a Tender. Most of that time there was some parasitic drain caused by a GPS power supply. It took me a bit to track that down, but it never hurt the battery. The Ural has now been sitting in storage since December. My father-in-law had some health issues and didn't get around to starting them as planned. He just walked out last week and fired the Ural up with the electric start. No Tender and it has been sitting, connected, since December 24th. All in all, the Deltran experience has been good for us.
  12. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    25 months 24,877 miles on the Ballistic Battery 8 Cell EVO 2 Lithium Not one problem...never balanced charged it yet.
    Call it lucky.... I have access to a balance charger and will balance it someday. There are better batteries on the market without a doubt!
  13. Louisbiker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Thanks for the link! I put one on order, free shipping, $44.50 through paypal. That's half price of what Ballistic wanted to honor their warranty and send me another Ballistic, and probably better quality cells. I was looking at getting the MotoBatt for the husky, but will hold off for a little while now.

Looks like I will be cutting the Ballistic apart, I will video most likely. Ballistic brags "Assembled in USA" but they don't tell you what parts they use and from where. We shall see.

Looks like the 123 batteries has other amp battery packs as well. More money, so the one you got years ago, might not be the cheap one linked. I figure I'll try it in my 250, it has a kick start, so if it fails, I can get home. If I like the battery, I may by two and carry one for a spare, they are light.

I'm going to be needing a new battery for my car, and may consider buying the 100 lot of loose batteries and making one up. I priced these cells last year, and these guys have a good price. Heck, I may even buy some and repair the Ballistic.

Louisbiker likes this.
  15. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wouldn't touch those cells for your car. With such limited amp hours, you might find yourself stranded rather quickly if you leave an accessory on or have parasitic drain (which all cars have to some degree).
    mag00 likes this.
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

I hear ya, I have my heart set on one of them Exide AGM for $185 when the time comes.
  17. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Hmm...after 6 weeks away from my bike and having forgotten to turn on my Oximiser battery tender unit, I have returned to find it totally dead.
    I suspect that my USB outlet socket which was wired direct has been draining the battery.
    The battery will not even respond the the 'recovery mode' of my charger and is reading only 1.5v regardless of what I do, therefore it is stuffed.

Having read with interest the posts here on LifePo and other alternatives to Lead Acid batteries I came to a conclusion that at the moment they are simply not worth the extra expense so I decided to get a fairly good quality AGM lead acid battery which I could purchase at a reasonable price locally and with a 1 year warranty.

The battery supplier suggested the Yuasa YT-12A-BS as a close equivalent to my original unit. It has the same footprint, but is about 2cm shorter which has given me just enough room to fit my Fuzeblock unit above it with no further modifications.

mini-IMG_1870.JPG

All good, with the 'switched live' for the Fuzeblock being taken from the white/green wire as it exits the bikes own fusebox.
    (Terminal covers are needed)
  18. Rayzor61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Stada 650 - on its way
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Explorer Tiger 1200
    I have my Strada for exactly 2 years now and the battery finaly went. I WAS GETTING 5 VOLTS ON THE METER AND THOUGHT IT COULD BE SAVED, NOT (at least I thought) !!!

Trying to find a correct size battery is crazy hard for this bike. Nobody even knows what it is. I also have a 2011 BMW GS650 and that battery is much taller (no match). THE CORRECT YUASA BATTERY IS YTX12-BS, it is exactly 5 1/8 inches tall.

I think I left the navagation system pluged in. This is a 7 page thread and the only definative answer about a replacement battery is on the last page. My closest dealer ordered a Yuasa YTX14 and it was exactly 1/2" too tall. Then I found this thread. In the mean time I tried my "Battery Tender" brand charger and had no luck. After trying to install the larger new battery before adding the acid, I thought I should use another type charger AND TRY AGAIN BEFORE i BOUGHt another BATTERY. It worked........

I used a Sears Die-Hard 2-4 amp charger. There must be some difference between that and the "Battery Tender" I use in the winter.

Point is, its not always totally dead. I will charge it another night before I go for a woods ride.
  19. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I have about 5 battery tender "Plus" and "Juniors" both type units being hooked up to various vehicles at any time. They maintain the batteries charge and keep them from going dead during times of non-use. Which can be months at a time for some of my vehicles.

They won't really charge the battery back up at all from my experience. From what I've read about them they will make no attempt to charge a battery if its under 9 volts. If I drain the battery or leave something switched on that drains the battery dead. I have to break out one of my bigger booster type or smaller trickle chargers, what ever the case may be, to charge the battery back up. The Battery Tenders won't do it.
  20. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100