TR650 fender/license plate holder eliminator ideas

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ebrake, Nov 18, 2012.

1. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Oh cool, that's a good idea.
  2. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Huh....what do you think happened to the chain guard!?
  3. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
  4. gscrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200 GS, Triumph Tiger 800xc
    It either just vibrated off or was caught by the license plate and its steel mounting bracket when they made their way into jamming between the tire and swing arm.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    This is the closest thing I can find. Note that I am attaching a picture of what I found, because tourotech site seems to steer people in a variety of directions based on what your location is (IP).
    From what I can tell, it does not solve the real problem of the rear fender self destructing. I was tempted to ask you fine people 'how long till self destruct', but that really does not matter, it seems only a question of time.
    Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 5.15.36 AM.png

This product from R&G seems to be the best long term solution (for me) presented so far - and I am assuming the band around the muffler is a separate product i.e. the rear fender does not attach to the muffler - apparently called a 'Tail Tidy':
    http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Husqvarna/TR650_Strada/2012/LP0129BK.aspx
    Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 5.15.58 AM.png
    FabOneUp likes this.
  6. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Yeah, separate product. The black bands are some sort of skid protection for the muff's
  7. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    I just spoke with 'Twisted Throttle' who are, according to the literature, the US Distributor for the Tail Tidy. This is their response:

Leo,

The price I quoted you last night for the Tail Tidy kit is correct, $182. Our cost on this item is much higher than most other TailTidy kits and the retail pricing reflects this.
    As we discussed last night, we do not currently have this item in stock and if you would like to order it, there will be a few weeks until we can get it to you,

Thank you,

___________________________________Josh
    Customer Service Representative
    Twisted Throttle LLC
    570 Nooseneck Hill Rd
    Exeter, RI 02822
    401-284-4200 (phone)
    401-223-6954 (fax)
    info@twistedthrottle.com
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com

Check out the Twisted Throttle NC700X video!
    Follow Twisted Throttle: [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  8. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Lol...I just emailed them about the same thing about 30 minutes ago! Eh, I guess I know what their responce will be now. $190 is pretty hefty, but man it sure does clean up the back of the TR! Also, keep in mind that is you do order one and you live in the U.S., you will need a special U.S. plate adapter or else you will have to either drill a couple hole in your plate or fab up your own adapter. I think R&D's adapters are about $18
  9. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    I drank their water... and ordered it. It is a sweet looking piece of gear. Now, I'll just have to see what 'side' effects there are :-) Also going down a tooth on the countershaft in the hopes of getting just a tad low-end grunt too. I drove it to work yeaterday - 40 miles of freeway at 70 mph (4500 rpm) and it's definitely got the high end but yeah, it's lacking a tad right off idle and I don't think this is same issue that others were reporting... Just too tall gearing - the fueling seems pretty good overall.
    Coffee likes this.
  10. Mike Carson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Explorer
    Once you drop the front sprocket a tooth, you should see 65mph at 4500 rpms or 70mph at 5000 rpms
  11. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I think 2 teeth up on the back will be just about right...about 60% of the 1 tooth on the counter shaft change. Just a little tall loaded with bags and gear....
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    What literature made you come to that conclusion?

On the R&G site, there is a button called 'Partners', where several places in California are listed (just an example, cause that is where I live).

Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.33.52 AM.png
  13. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    I think Twisted Throttle is the 'main' distributor from which all of the other 'partners' here in the States get their products. I know my Triumph/Ducati/Husqvarna dealer gets their R&G parts from them. I'm not saying that is Gospel just what Twisted Throttle says...
  14. Gedge Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Morini Granpasso 1200
    R&G tail tide fitted .. still waiting for sensible sized registration plate...was a bit of a PITA to fit as some of the holes hadn't been tapped which meant keep removing it to drill and tap etc..finished result is much nicer than standard though..

[IMG]
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I like the one from R&G...Has anyone tried one yet to see if will stop the mud and debris from flying up our backs on a wet dirt road.:excuseme:
  16. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    Tail Tidy.jpg

Went together fairly easily - I removed more than what I needed to remove but overall, I am very happy with the look and the installation.
  17. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Hey Leo, Looks good!:thumbsup:
    If you get a chance and don't mine posting your results.
    (plus you don't mind getting your bike a little dirty:D)
    Could you post up and see if it flings water or mud up your back? I really like that design but know how much rear fender it takes to keep the mud off.
    (Well at least while Mountain Biking)
    :cheers:
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Any pictures of the Tail Tidy before it was installed?
  19. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    Sorry, no! I did not think of doing that. It's made of steel and bolts right up. There are a few little issue that I came across but if you've worked on bikes, it's no bother - just the issue of not having ever worked on this bike before and not having a service manual worth a darn. My dealer ordered the wrong front sprocket and it didn't make it in today as they had forecast so it is still on the bench in some disarray. As soon as I get the sprocket installed, I'll try and get it out for a test.
  20. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    Parts for tail tidy.jpg

Here is the exploded parts description from the kit's directions. #1 is the mail tail piece assemble - Made of steel. #2 is the new license plate light (LED). 3,4, & 10 are the turn signal brackets. 5-9 are the spacers and bolts to put the tail lock piece into #1. 11 is shrink wrap for the license plate light wires. 12 is a stick on round reflector??? The largest issue I ran into was the fact that the turn signal bracket were not threaded to accept the screws (#3) and I had to thread them. Other holes used clips that the bolts would screw into but the holes needed to be bored out to accept the standard screws removed initially.

Cheers,

Leo
    Coffee likes this.