TR650 fender/license plate holder eliminator ideas

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ebrake, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ebrake Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR 250(sold)
    So I just picked up a Terra about a week ago. Absolutely in love.

Although, I'm thinking that I would like to clean up the rear end. Get rid of that pesky large fender/license plate holder and create something a little more low profile, that gets the plate under the seat.

Is there anything out there yet? In the works? Do any of you resourceful Husky enthusiasts have any ideas on what could work or what needs to be done? I've never attempted to get rid of fender/plate holder before...

I know I'm not the only one out there that wants to clean up the rear end.

Lets hear your thoughts folks! :)
  2. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    On my 630 I used a rubber plate holder that Bills Motorcycle Plus sells, and it works fine. On my WRR I made my own out of rubber horse matting. Problem with the 650 is that there is not a lot under the fender to connect to, although I have not tried. I you cut the platic fender off just below the light, you might make it work OK. I much prefer to have the plate, and in TX, the inspection sticker, mounted on something flexible in case of a fall. Contact Bills, get their piece, and see what you can do with it.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    'Called Bills Motorcycle Plus today to order a rubber plate holder and they are out. New ones come in in about a week. I'll be ordering then and trying to fit up to the 650. Looks like it will work ok.
  4. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    pics...pics...pics!
  5. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    Made mine way smaller. Easy peasy- image.jpg
    Not the best pic but you get the idea...
  6. scottinAZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    My Husky butt was shakin' more than a diamond back rattler in a bad mood, that heavy metal holder and excess plastic had to go! Yes, remove reflector under light, drill two holes in plate and presto magico, cleaner look for no cost:). Also was not a fan of the 650 stickers on the sides. terra 006.JPG terra 004.JPG
  7. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  8. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    A vendor here needs to import these for us!
  9. Falcofred Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Ducati MTS, 2007 KTM Superduke
    There are lots of distributors of R&G products here in the USA, click on the link to the R&G site, click on partners, click on the map (USA) and they are listed.
  10. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  11. big-t Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm,yamaha
    I may need a tail tidy,my rear fender broke yesterday.I can only assume it broke from vibration as its not been hit or dropped,however,half of the accumulated mileage has been on rough rocky dirt roads.

[IMG]
    Anthill Toenail and FabOneUp like this.
  12. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Ooooofa! I seen a couple of the Husky corporate YouTube vids of the TR tearing down fire roads and thought to myself that plate and stuff was bouncing around WAAAAAAY too much to last very long! Good thing is these bikes are so new that I am sure Husky will cover you on the damage...but seeing how they are still trying to build out customer bikes, it might take a week or two to get a replacement. In the mean time if you just can't wait to ride, I bet a small piece of metal strap (like plumbers tape) and a few sheet metal screws would hold it together till you got a new one.

......or, maybe you could get them to order you a Tidy Tail and have them offset the cost by how much the replacement factory piece costs! You might be able to get the Tidy Tail for next to nothing. Worth a try...the worst they could say is no and you would still get a new factory part. Let us know if you try and what they say.
  13. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Went out to wash my bike this morning and found it broken on both sides. I'd say my mileage has been 90% pavement, 10% gravel roads.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    I'm in the same boat as you guys, though mine is not as cracked and bag as that. It definitely won't stay in place though. Any bump I hit, the plastic clips just pop right on out and the fender sags a little.
    Yay modern bikes and their crappy plastics.
  15. gunnr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610, TERRA
    Wow...Do you guys still have that metal license plate bracket on your bikes? Wondering if that is causing more vibration?
  16. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    So the dealer in Greenville, SC said they will have the R&G fender eliminator in stock in about 2 weeks.
    I'll be ordering one then.
  17. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    The fender eliminator looks good, but no fender! Lots of crap going to be tossed up without it. BigDog and scottinAZ's fixes seem best for now. Get the weight off. On my WRR I used some horse mat to make a flexible fender but on that bike there was somewhere strong to make attachment. Not so on the Terra, at least at first glance. I like having something back there to deflect the roost. Until I have time to look into something that provides more substantial and permanent fender support, I am going to just use some 1/8" black cording to make some suspenders up to the tail rack. Yeah, it will look dumb but it might prevent that nasty break and I will be riding some nasty washboards out west soon. At least forewarned is forearmed.
  18. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
  19. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
  20. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    BillF suggested this workaround to get the bike the 50miles to his shop with the broken fender. Drill two holes, zip tie, good to go. It's always so obvious once someone else suggests this stuff. Thanks Bill! Anyway, here's a pic for folks that need a workaround.

[IMG]