TR650 fender/license plate holder eliminator ideas

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ebrake, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Those little tabs near the tail light are obviously worthless. The designer thought that they would provide support? Looks like someone needs to open up the back of the bike, that is, remove the plastic top bottom and sides, to see what is in there. We are going to have to find a way to tie this stuff to the sub frame, or provide alternate support. These breaks are happening at the same place so it is an obvious design flaw. Not holding my breath for Husky to do something about it, but wouldn't it be nice!
  2. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I wonder if exhaust heat is playing a factor in this?
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't think so. Although the cans get very hot, that is a fatigue break. It appears, stress appears, that the fender is attached only at the front and supported on those little tabs at the back near the light. If the tabs are loose, or come disconnected as in the photo above, then something has to give. More support, farther back, is needed. For the time being I have a strap around the fender and up to the luggage rack. Hopefully that will take some load off until a better solution is found. Even getting rid of the plate holder just helps. There is still a lot of plastic back there, and with the turn signals out to the side I suspect that there is a lot of constant twist type ocillation going on too. That may be a big contributor to this problem. On my WRR I have an Edge tail light with built in signal. It's not the best from a safety standpoint as I think the separate blinkers are move visible, and in fact it might not be legal in some states. Nobody has stopped me yet though. It sure would cut down on the weight hanging off the side of the fender though.
  4. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Gunnr brings up a good point. Maybe just eliminate the metal bracket and add some fiberglass layers to the weak section.
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't think that will do it. The rear is not connected to anything! We are going to be looking at that in a few weeks Jason. One way, or another....
  6. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok then...we will just add it to the list!
  7. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I looked at my TE630 this morning to see the rear fender extension is supported and fastened. The 630 extension looks similar to the one on the 650, BUT, it has a built-in sub-bracket that attaches to the frame forward and to the top fender in the back. Four well spaced fasteners, bolts, to carry the load. That is missing on the 650. That's what we need on the Terra.
  8. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Not that this is THE solution to cracking, but the Enduro Engineering holder is very versatile, light, and cheap.
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG
    FabOneUp likes this.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nice! Thanks for taking the time to do that. That is a nice clean look and I see you finally got that back tire put on.:)
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is what I'm doing with the rear fender until something better comes along. Neither pretty nor sophisticated, but hopefully it will hold up the end of the bike for a while.
    [IMG]
  11. scottinAZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    During my first off road excursion I heard strange things coming from my rear (my terra), turned my head and noticed that the rear license/fender was going side to side pretty hard, so when I got home the first thing was to lighten the load on that fender, removed the metal plate mount and cut down the fender, now I don't hear or see that happening anymore.....hope I prevented the problem of breakage before it happens.:excuseme:
    Beemermcr likes this.
  12. gscrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200 GS, Triumph Tiger 800xc
    I was just riding in Big Bend National Park for a few days with friends. This is the result of riding on the Old Ore Road.:cry: This road is pretty rocky and rough. The Terra on
    the right remained unscathed.

[IMG]

Everything from from above the tail light on down was hanging by the wires and key cable. The bottom piece with the license plate had broken off and got jambed between the tire and the swing-arm and put a slice in the tire.

Here is my work around using duct tape and zip ties. I didn't notice till later that the chain guard was also gone.

[IMG]
  13. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    I wonder if your tire grabbed your plate when the suspension compressed and munched the whole assembly? Either way, that sucks!
    vntgmx likes this.
  14. infinitipearl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 track bike "supermono"
  15. gscrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200 GS, Triumph Tiger 800xc
    Infinitipearl, thanks. That tail tidy looks like it hooks up to the mufflers.

Harder1, yeah maybe. Or maybe the tire grabbed the plate when the the whole contraption dropped. It does seem like there is quite a bit of room between the tire and the end of the fender, but I'll never know for sure.
  16. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    If so, that is a 'no-go' to myself as I'm planning to eliminate one can in the future...
  17. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Those black straps in the pics are not apart of the tidy tail.
  18. Mike Carson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Explorer
    My bike is the Terra without the broken rear fender. Prior to the Big Bend Ride I removed the reflectors and installed the hard plastic license plate mount from Enduro Engineering. Not sure if thats why mine didnt break off.
  19. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I did a slight variation. I notched the license plate, bent it, and slid it under the rear facing reflector, using it's screws and bolts to hold it on. Eliminated the metal bracket, kept the plastic fender extending below the plate. Need ideas on keeping the 2 side reflectors, and the light does not illuminate the month and year stickers too well. Thinking of shimming the plate light out further to light up those stickers.

Attached Files:

20. dangslow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra and a TE310
    TerraCzar...I used a heat gun and warmed up the plate the reflectors were on. They came off easily. Stuck 'em on the side of a small Pelican case attached to the rack. 100_1631.jpg