1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 - crappy pot metal shifter keeps loosening. Aftermarket Replacements?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Mmm... patch :rolleyes:
  2. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    Mmmm...tit-ties...:rolleyes:

Sorry that was off thread...
  3. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I looked at the manual for the 499/511 they are using a socket and universial. Looks like it has the same or more clearance then the 310 does the Socket and ratching wrench I linked in the photo above will work well on both the 310 and 449/511.

Also an 8MM swivel socket would be able to work on the 449/511 but not enough room on my 310 for a swivel to work.
    [IMG]
    fasteer likes this.
  4. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I finally had to tighten my 511 shifter.

• Allen wrench barely worked, though I could have drilled another hole in the UpTite skid plate and made it work perfect.
    • Offset twist wrench worked pretty slick http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13pc...ckType=G30&PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:4:0 (I got a set of these at Lowes on clearance for about $10...every once in a while they are the perfect solution. They also work great on the 8mm headed bodywork bolts)
    • Ratcheting wrench also worked fine.
    Desertyucca and McKay like this.
  5. speedgene Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Fireblade
    Just a thought, but has anyone already tried the shift lever from a G450X? Looks more sturdy than the original Husky item? Not sure whether our frame lower would get in the way tho'.

Attached Files:

tonskiguy likes this.
  6. mag0037 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 Kawasaki 250 Ninja
    Hey guys. I finally got fed up tightening my shifter all the time. Last week it completely stripped. Here's how i fixed it. Machine shop drilled out the hole and put in a Brass insert with a small lock set screw. I pressed it on to the bike shank. It will make its own slots in the brass. Drilled out the bolt part and put a bolt right threw with a nylon lock nut. Works great and has been solid as a rock so far. If it ever does fail its a $5 fix. New brass insert and back in business. Way better than $80 for a new one. Cost was $35 at the machine shop for the initial work. Hope this helps.
    fasteer and LandofMotards like this.
  7. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

So, the brass goes where? Sounds like you put the brass in where the splines used to be? How'd you press it on the bike with no room in there?
  8. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    TE/TC 449/511 Shift Lever Update

IMS is in process of making one now. I will be dropping my bike off to them on Thursday for a fit test. Limited Production run of 80 Units. be available in a few weeks. I will keep you posted.
  9. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I would prefer they make a steel one to aluminum as I have had every aluminum shifter ever get a tiny bit loose and then fail completely. VS the steel takes alot before it just strips out completely.....Ideally a steel end with aluminum arm/tip :)
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    These MCS levers are great.
    They have the spline ALL the way across the inside surface, not just the outer edges like the nasty original one.
    Well priced & well made. (Not anodised & covered in bling, just a good product that works)
    I got about 50 or so hours out of the original, I've now gone from there to 140 hours with this replacement.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLOY-GE...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3e38407b

[IMG]
  11. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    The BMW Shifter lever is approximately 3/4" to 1" shorter in overall length. Which is too short for me as I have a size 12 riding boot. I use the Husky shifter because it is a bit longer on my G450X and have never had issues with it coming loose, so far anyway. Then again I never did with the BMW one either. Thought I might though so I had a spare BMW one ($22.00 on ebay) in a box. Now I have 2, since I swapped to the Husky shifter.

The bend is quite a bit different on the Husky lever compared to the BMW but neither of them splines onto the shaft in a comfortable position for me. Not high enough for my particular taste. Yet if I go 1 spline higher from the position it's at. It won't shift at all as the lever hits the bearing support bulge in the case behind the sprocket in the up shift direction.

So what I am trying to say is, I've run both and don't like either of them really. Thought about welding the 2 BMW shifters together to make one out of the pair, a bit longer and a tad higher relative to the splined position but the curvature of the bends in the pair of them just doesn't lend itself well to doing this either.
    ray_ray likes this.
  12. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I bought a brake pedal and it was like 85$....I bought a kickstand and it was 90$....

I know damn well that the shifter is an 80$ item.

on my 2 stroke husky the oem shifter was like 90$ at the dealer.

I am just adding that we need more aftermarket support for our bikes in regard to controls that brake all the time.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  13. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    The IMS Lever will be Steel. [IMG]
    ray_ray likes this.
  14. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Mmmmm, very PW80.

15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    $80 bucks for that? Wow, looks like WWII salvage.
  16. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    But you get a sticker with every purchase.
    ray_ray and tshea529 like this.
  17. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Thanks Ryan.
    I bought the broach to make billet ones, never got around to it. Too busy building a new torque limiter now. Plus it takes a $20 slug of aluminum.
  19. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    WWll salvage. Lmao!!!
  20. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Who said $80.00? $29.95. I will run the WWII Salvage, better than being 80 miles from nowhere on a bike you can't shift or having to take your chain off in the middle of the ride to mount your spare shift lever that you have to carry because your stock Aluminum POS will probably strip out sooner than later. I need reliability.
    Motosportz and Big Timmy like this.