1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 - crappy pot metal shifter keeps loosening. Aftermarket Replacements?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    2 Stickers
    Tinken and Dangermouse449 like this.
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Fair enough, I misread. 30 dollars isn't so bad, but it still isn't a product for me. I have had the oem shifter on and off several times, I just make sure the splines are very clean and I use loctite.
    tshea529 likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Still have the stock on on mine after more than 6000 miles but would like a steel one for reliability.
    tonskiguy and tshea529 like this.
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I too am on the stock shifter with no problem. Just a thought the steel shifter give the added benefit of being able to bend/break the shift shaft while the aluminum one will likely give out. This comes to mind because I have had a steel shifter do this before. I do not how hard the shift shaft is to replace, but I suspect it isn't easy.
    Centerline and Motosportz like this.
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Sorry I threw the 80$ out there because that is what I was quote for a new OEM shifter from the dealer. It was like 87$ for a stock shifter. The way our cases hangout us short people end up dropping these things in the dirt off camber hills and stuff, which means 100$ per drop :'(
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I may be very lucky (don't think so) & my Force sump guard might help, but I've thrown my bike down the track more times than I can remember & the gearshift comes up smiling.
    The failure point is the spline which is better cut on the MCS aftermarket item.
    Bending isn't an issue on my bike, but I have done 2 rear brake levers.

I'm not sure about all the fuss really, these shifters are the equivelant of $50 US & I just looked up the Australia Post web page, less than $22 Aus to ship it to the US with tracking.

And it will last longer than the original....easy really.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLOY-GE...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3e38407b
    Tinken likes this.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I like the Force guards, do they still sell them?
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  8. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Yes, I've only seen black advertised of late (mine is silver) but still available.
    The single bolt fastening is great & the guard takes a pounding.

Actually I was quite lucky with the one I got, my bike was the last bike sold from the local BMW dealer before the local Berg dealer took on the Husky franchise.
    The BMW dudes were clearing out their stock of accessories, I picked up my guard for $120. :D
  9. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    Take some time and remove the Chain.. get some space there.
    Remove the shit alen head bolt and install a 10.9 grade Flange head bold. Flangehead bolts wont come loose.

first lever was constantly loose until i stripped it. This is the second lever. Used at the first installation the Stock allen head bolt. It came loose right away.
    So this now is a 10.9 grade M6 bolt with Flange head. Longer on purpose so i could install 3 washers between Head and Lever. Plus having the bolt coming out of the other side. The three Washers take tiny movement in the bolt away, just like in big application where we Install a 10-15 mm Spacer between Bolt and Rim's... They never come loose. So this Set up is on my bike now for 2500Km without re-tightening . Gear lever....jpg
  10. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Tested the Prototype today. Works Great. Looks pretty good for piece of recycled Sherman Tank Track. It will look better when it goes back next week for powder coating.

20141018_092913.jpg
    Motosportz, ray_ray and Big Timmy like this.
  11. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    All you need to do is replace the Stock Bolt with a good one and no more trouble ... 3600km and never came loose.
    ray_ray and Big Timmy like this.
  12. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Mine never really came loose. The bolt was always tight the splines just rounded over. Maybe I shift to forcefully. Maybe I tightened it too much. There have been lots of post asking if someone made an aftermarket shifter so when I found one I posted it. If you want one you will be able to get it from Hall's.
  13. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    wow that lever is a freaking beast.

I would rather see a breakaway lever made. Will be a much better solution for us. same with the brake.
  14. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449

I would say the IMS shift lever is for the Extreme Dual Sport rider. Tight Knarly, Rocky Steep, brutally difficult Single Track that runs you out into the middle of nowhere or places like BAJA where you don't want to break down and be stuck in the middle of nowhere. If you are an incredibly talented rider, ride tamer terrain or SuperMoto then the Aluminum one from Driven is a great looking shift lever that has received great reviews. The IMS one is Steel so it bends instead of breaking. Easier to bend one back in shape on the trail rather than to change out. The good news is that 449/511 Owners have some better options than the stock lever that has been randomly succesfull.
  15. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I am all for the steel lever as it will not save that much weight really.

My problem was offroad I would drop the bike all the time because I am 5' 6" and my friends are giants that stop on hills....all the time :(

Same with my husky cr125 2000 model it was down for a broken/stripped shifter....got an aluminum one, dropped it and stripped it at the splines...

Now I am waiting again for a stock steel one I purchased off ebay :\
  16. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449

I am 5'-6" as well. Tend to drop the bike more often than the taller guys. Sent the Suspension to Zip-Ty and they lowered and re-valved it, what a deference. Your confidence level goes way up when you can put your feet on the ground.
  17. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Oh I know, My 511 in my picture is lowered 1.5" front and rear, with also a cut down seat on 17" wheels and I can do anything and go anywhere with it no problems even on dirt with street tires its a easy ride.

My 125 on the other hand holy crap its a bitch to ride low speed. But i love all that travel on the big whoops.
    tshea529 likes this.
  18. A.A Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 500 exc
    hi
    could send a picture of the end result?
    thanks
  19. JRW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Tiger 800 XC
    Spec on the brass insert and picture of the final outcome would be great. :thumbsup:
  20. tonskiguy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    1986 Yam XT350
    Driven shift lever PN DASC-89 is correct PN. perfect fit, duplicate of factory original except folding tip is a little longer, and splines are cut all the way through. Also, only around $35. Very satisfied with my purchase.