1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 - crappy pot metal shifter keeps loosening. Aftermarket Replacements?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm just the messenger, Bills is doing the ass kicking. :thumbsup:
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I just stoped reading there :D
    oregonsage likes this.
  3. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz450f, 900ss, st2, rd350, HD EG
    I guess i shouldn't bitch. I could be riding a Ural ...
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I know where you can get parts for that too There is a semi big and very fanatic group here with those. One guy flat hauls ass on his at the DS rides. Funny stuff.
  5. Sourdojack Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I found an 8mm socket on a 1/4" dirve bit with a low porfile ratching wrench works best fot the shift lever bolt.

[IMG]

$10 at Lowes on sale
    Tinken likes this.
  7. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Sent Driven some photos of the shifter for older huskies compared to the shifter on the 449/511 and they've indicated it's on their todo list.

UFO Peg sliders Husqvarna fitment, under $15 if you can find a set. They're crap though, they wear away real quick when you sen your bike down the road unmanned.... Alright if you're just scraping pegs though.
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I used a Snap-on ratcheting 8 mm box wrench for my shifter if it makes things easier for anyone out there who wants to make sure their shifter is snug...
  9. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

It is my understanding that this bolt can be turned from below with an allen wrench......
  10. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Hmm...now you have me thinking...I'll have to look at it when I get home :confused:
  11. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I havent tried it myself, but it was a reliable source who hadnt been drinking beer so I suspect it is true.
  12. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    No it is a regular head bolt. I just cound not fit a regular ratchet or a box wrench on it.(no cleanace around the frame) The photo I linked turns an 8mm socket and drive bit into a low profile ratchet.
    SloChicken likes this.
  13. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    The bolt on mine is a hex head with an allen socket also.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep.
  15. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    My bad I was referancing my bike a TXC310 forgot it was a 449/511
  16. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    No offence intended, but it is obvious you have not actually had hands on (and the accompanying headache) on this item.
    On the other hand, I have been under this thing enough to confirm that this is a 8mm hex head bolt with a 4mm allen also.
    The problem lies with clearances both for access and to effectively turn this little mo'fo' of a bolt...
    a hex head box end wrench can only be turned about 30 degrees at a time as the perimeter frame limits turning the wrench, and as a result making it virtually impossible to get effective torque on it (I used two separate box ends to do the work as they each had separate offsets and could be turned from different angles ... What an incredible pain in the ass).
    An allen wrench is just as much of a pain in the ass, using the typical L shaped key, the short end has the same problems as the box end wrenches as one cannot turn the bolt very far without running into a frame component. and trying to access the bolt from below using the long end of the allen wrench is impossible as the lower part of the frame lines up exactly with the bolt resulting in an offset wrench in the allen key hole at the top of the bolt, which in turn ends up in stripped bolts, curse words, and thrown tools.

Of course it is really simple to do if all you have to do is describe it online, and not do it.

IMHO, the engineer that designed this is a real prick and should have to make house calls whenever any of us experience this issue ... LOL

The ratcheting box end 8mm wrench is the best idea I have seen so far. A flex end would be even better.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have one of those around so I did the above described circus act.

I would add that taking off the chain did help somewhat for access and seeing what you are doing, at least in my case.

I hope you, and others never, ever have to deal with this little gem. It sucks ...
  17. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    You won't get an 8mm ratcheting spanner on there, the ring is too big to fit between the bolt head and the shifter body. I think I took a blow torch to an allen key to bend it 45 degrees so it'd fit in there better. In the workshop manual they show a picture with some sort of flexy/bendy socket, can't remember exactly.
    Tinken likes this.
  18. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is pretty much the fix right there.
    Like I said, completely standard fix and not a pain at all...
    I am going to my local tool store tomorrow and see if i can find a flexy bendy wrench to make this procedure less of a pita.
    TE in RC likes this.
  19. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    I used a T allen key - no problems!
    Tinken likes this.
  20. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Just be careful is you use a ball end allen key as the bolt likes to round off due to the small contact patch.