1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 - crappy pot metal shifter keeps loosening. Aftermarket Replacements?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Good thing you gots a harley
    SloChicken likes this.
  2. SDPUTTER Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511

I'll race you down San Felipe Wash and let mine flame out first if that will make you feel better?

P.S. - Let me know where you leave your bike out there....I'll need the spare parts:D
    Tinken likes this.
  3. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz450f, 900ss, st2, rd350, HD EG
    Ha, I will be at Superstition this wknd. When my shifter loosened the third time i was at thermal pots. It was a pretty fast ride back to the cove, san Felipe wash is fun in top gear, it just sucks when you have no choice LOL.
  4. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, it is a good thing.
    My Harley, for all the flack I get, has been absolutely unfailingly reliable. 40000 miles on it so.far, and 0 breakdowns.
    My ducatis have a variety of ongoing nuisances, and my Yamaha gets hard to start at valve adjust time.
    Strange, but true.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Sorry to hear about your Husky woes.
    Order a new shifter and bolt, once you have rounded the splines once, you will continue to have issues. You do not have to take off the chain, you can tighten from underneath. Use blue locktite on the fresh shifter and bolt.

The stock maps in the Keihin ECU are too lean, especially at low rpm's. You cannot get upgraded maps from BMW/Husqvarna, it is illegal for them to give you them due to emissions regulations. Even on the "Race Map" setting, the carbon residue on my valves was almost pure white. Replace ECU with a Powercommander 5. Autotune is best, especially because you can switch it on and off on the fly with a secondary map.

If you ordered your suspension using the online Racetech spring rate tool, your springs are too stiff. Just because Paul puts his spring program on the internet, doesn't make him magically all knowing. The KYB suspension on the 449/511 is custom made for Husqvarna and is unlike what would normally be found on the Japanese bikes. Lighter, progressive springs work better than what is of the norm. It is too bad you had bad luck with Zip-Ty racing. I hang out in Ty's shop a lot, and I can tell you first hand that Ty probably knows more about the KYB and Ohlins suspension on our Huskys than anyone else in the country. Zip-Ty racing does suspension work for riders worldwide and Ty rebuilds each shock himself.

The Husqvarna 449/511's are awesome bikes. They are not Jap-crap. They are also not "Race Ready" out of the box like KTM's and require upgrades. Once upgraded and dialed in, they are pretty kick ass. If they weren't, you wouldn't see them racing DAKAR.
  6. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Tinkin,
    First, I found it easier to take the chain off than screw around with such little room to turn a wrench. In addition, it was virtually impossible to pull the shifter off the spline without taking the chain off.
    Next, I filed new splines in the shifter, so that is going to have to do for this weekend at least. I am somewhat fearful that getting a new shifter is going to be another circus act and I am really not in the mood at the moment. Frankly I would rather purchase a decent milled shifter out of some decent billet than the cast beezneez that is the source of my angst.
    I think the current one may hang in there though. As I said earlier, I tapped out the original threads after they exploded under the great torque of a 8mm box end wrench ... Now, and as should have been done in the first place, I am using a larger diameter 1/4" grade 5 bolt and as has been torqued heavier than the OEM bolt could take.
    I am hopeful this will last the weekend, and maybe for a while, as it should have in the first place.
    Regarding the injection and stalling issues. According to my dealer, who I have been riding at willow spring with for years and have done business with for just as long, he installed the akropovic full-system map on it. Unfortunately, there is nothing other than my faith that he is telling the truth to me to confirm this. However he wouldn't BS me on this. It may be illegal, and he maybe shouldn't have it, but so goes the story.
    I would consider getting a Power Commander, especially if it is closed loop now. That would be a good setup, I bet.
    Still, I am getting tired of throwing good money after bad on this thing, as it seems so far.
    My 2005 YZ kicks this things butt all over the desert as of now. It is lighter, softer in the little bumps (Read: Comfy), yet in the high speed stuff and big hits it soaks it up well (It has stock shocks/forks with enzo springs). The YZ is faster, all the way to it's top end. The only thing the Husky has is top end after about 55 mph or so - even still, the husky tops out at 70 or so. Not exactly what I was looking for in my desert bike.
    So, I am having a hard time justifying this purchase.
    I understand you are pals with the guys at Zip Ty, but as I told you I talked to one of the head guys (I told you his name), and gave him my info, including my credit card info, and waited for 10 days before calling back to see what happened.
    As there are other vendors, I went with RaceTech instead of playing that game twice - just makes sense.
    Like I tell my crew. I don't care if you are the best tail-gunner in the war, if you only show 90 percent of the time, than you are of no use to me. And so goes the lost sale.
    The springs are 50kg from race tech, and were spec'ed after a conversation with brad.
    I don't feel the springs are the problem as much as the low speed compression damping of the fork, and the back to this point is soft.
    I am stuck with it for now, so I will keep working on it. I don't mind the less than amazing forks (like my YZ), but the stalling in technical, and the shifter bs, not to mention the lame gas cap that both is difficult to take off and also falls off which necessitated finding an aluminum cap (which would not be the case with most any other bike)
    BTW, Jap bikes aren't "Jap Crap" as you say.
    And any bike with funding can do any race, those bikes are far from stock, and the support crew matters every bit as much as the bike. So that bit about Dakar means not much to me.
    I appreciate the input, but really there shouldn't even need to be a conversation about this stuff.
    It should be about the stoke of a new bike and all the great things it does that the older, worn out one didn't.
    Don't you think?
    Factory4510 likes this.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Sounds to me like you have everything all figured out. Sorry for your pain. hope your fix works. Good luck.
    SloChicken likes this.
  8. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tinkin, I appreciate your input, just pretty down on this bike right now. I really want to like it, but it has been leaving me hanging with one issue or another basically every time I have had it out so far.
    I am leaving for the desert in a few minutes. I will post up when I get back on monday. Hoping the problems are behind me ...
    Thanks all,
    If anyone knows where I can get an aftermarket shifter, feel free to post up!
    Thanks!
  9. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Good luck and have a good ride!
  10. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I love my TE449. The shifter was loose after 2 rides. As with any motorcycle, I do routine checks on all the components, hence finding the loose pinch bolt. I moved my shifter up a notch because it was mounted too low and tightened it up. I did not have to remove the chain or anything. I have a couple more hours on the bike and it has been staying tight and shifting great.
  11. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    What a freaking POS. This bike deserves to be burned. After 1 ride it iz already loose again.
    Bike for sale coming next week
    Again,
    What
    A
    Piece
    Of
    SHIT.
    Never again...
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It's a pain some times, but after each ride, if a wrench can go on it, it gets checked.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Selling sounds like a good idea ...

Unless you are already privy to info on selling used motorcycles ... Get ready to find out about the re-sale values of used motorcycles ...

And winter months are not the time to sell a bike in most states ... Maybe CA is different with its weather ...
  14. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    As i wake up out here in The desert i have realized that i am stuck with this bike for now and am just going to have to get it sorted
    So i will ride my YZ today, piss on The husky when i am full of beer and order 2 shifters when I get home.
    Getting a new sticker the will properly reflect the bike's quality
    It will read
    HUFFY...
  15. marshwater Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE449 (sold) '13 WB165
    its called maintenance bro
  16. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Well lets not add to the frustration for this guy. You all should see me when I pissed lol. I wish venting on a forum would help but I'd rather punch my truck when I'm working on it or punt my helmet when my bike or I are messed up lol

I really hope you figure it out. There seems to be quite a few guys here that can fix most anything. Don't quit on it just yet. Hopefully it will work perfect soon. I'm sure you'll love the bike once its acting right.
  17. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Don't be a dick dude .
    The bike has all of 200 miles on it. I have been fucking with this shifter after every session for the past 3 weekends with progressively more intensive remedies.
    Just sucks when the bike is killing the weekend-over and over.
    Took the rail out last night to cool off, and as i sat on a ridge I realized that I am stuck with this bike for now. Worked on the shifter again this AM. Going to order a new shifter when I get home, going to CAD myself a decent shifter to be milled out of some billet stock at the friendly local machine shop. Probably will do a run of 20 or so and sell them to other poor suckers like me that are in the same predicament.
    But your comment was every bit as wise as you are ...
    Bro...
  18. Sourdojack Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you have one inexpensive part on your bike fail, it makes you want to sell it??? Sounds like the original shifter that came on your bike was junk. I would try a replacement OEM shift lever before making an aftermarket one. And use Red loctite instead of blue haha. But like Tinken said, you already have it all figured out.
  19. I had a shifter get loose, get rounded, and would never get tight again. Put a new crappy Husky pot metal shifter on it and its been tight for years and 15,000 miles later its still tight. As far as the flame out issue goes, at least for me, I've never had a dirt bike, carb or FI, that has not needed jetting/tuning. FWIW the JD tuner I have on my '09 has solved all my complaints with the Mikuni FI system on the early FI bikes.
    Londin likes this.
  20. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Finally got my hands on one, and....... It'll fit, if you have teeny tiny feet lol...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...BsE/WLvaKvWpadE/s1108/IMG_20130102_155522.jpg

I've emailed the guys at Driven to illustrate the issue and hopefully they'll make one, however unlikely.

EDIT: I've got a zipty +10mm shifter tip on there atm.
    Tinken likes this.