1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 - crappy pot metal shifter keeps loosening. Aftermarket Replacements?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    ZipTy racing has more top tier racing experience than anyone (I go so far as to say in the world with maybe some rally guys excepted) on the 449/511 models, I would give them a ring for any special things/tricks they may know, they are usually open for discussion. I never saw NickB or CoryG getting DNFs for stripped 449/511 shifters and Ive been on the same courses, ridden with and been passed by both at various times. Also use the high strength locktite, 271 Red for one type. Once you set your pedal its not a many cycle remove piece, 271 red is good for this type perm install stuff, 242 blue is more for multi cycle removal parts. And proper torque is more important than muscle F&*K torque. Stripping the threads and the screw loosening from the threads are 2 different issues, proper torque with red locktite or equivalent high strength stuff is probably the best bet. Most all the euro pedals are forged aluminum and are pretty high quality, but all pedals as well as footpegs will be engineered to be sacrificial parts. Build a pedal too strong and one hit could damage the shaft or even the transmission internals.
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/product_advisor/projects/index.pl/3/2/21
  2. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    We use various flavors of Loctite in my industry. Directed heat will loosen all of them if there is concern about using red. Solder iron or heat gun work just fine.
    ray_ray likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Replace that thing. It got loose and used and rounded the splines and will never hold. Over tightening it will do nothing but strain the bolt and shifter. You see pretty much zero threads about this "issue" and many of us have had these bikes for years and thousands of miles. Not trying to be an ass but calling a bike Jap crap because a shifter is giving you issues no one else has is semi off base. I understand your frustrations but this is a simple part with a simple fix. Replace it with a not warn out shifter, install it right, loctite it and check it every few rides. Do not over tighten as that just stretches things and makes them worse.
    Tinken likes this.
  4. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Install a new KTM or GASGAS on your old shifter. See if that fixes the mechanical failure.
    Tinken and robertaccio like this.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    One of our crew uses the unscrew your gas cap, lift, roll bike out from under it and install a KTM under it then screw it back on.....I tell F that, KTMs have that stupid freaking gas cap design!!
  6. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz450f, 900ss, st2, rd350, HD EG
    The shifter is going to be replaced. I am going to try to order one today. First day back from the desert that the shop is open.
    I have the shifter off and my first day off I plan to spec out the lever and CAD one up, take the image to my buddy's machine shop and see about pricing a run of billet shifters for this thing - may just be a new vendor of these things LOL. I work in medicine, but heck, I used to work in a machine shop in my younger days and have enough experience to draw up a shifter.

BTW, I didn't call the bike "Jap Crap", Timken called japanese bikes Jap Crap (which I disagree with for numerous reasons: parts availability, prices, aftermarket, and so on ...). Just to be clear. I did call the husky a POS though (I was pretty pissed at the time) LOL. Further, even in this thread there are posts of others that have had this same problem.
    And you know getting to that lever is a huge pain in the ass. Either that, or you never have tried to access that bolt ...
    A new, 2012 bike that is slower, heavier, and more problem prone (stalling, shifter woes, too soft suspension) than my 2005 YZ is questionable in my book. On the upside, it does have electric start and a license plate, which are the main reasons I went with this bike, but I am not sure those amenities are worth the 9k it took.
    I am fearful that ordering the shifter is going to be a long wait. I have needed parts such as this for my other Euro Bikes and ordering has taken weeks to months to procure the part which has sucked. More so with this bike as it is my desert bike and well, now is the season ... I am hoping a long wait for parts won't be the case - we will see. The reality is, I am stuck with the bike for now and will try to make the best of it. I am awaiting a return call on the shifter regarding availability as we speak.

I understand some of the comments here are secondary to you all and your affinity with the bike. I want to love this bike too, but I am not naive enough to love a bike that just hasn't produced.
    So far this bike has been the belle of the ball that when you get her home and out of her dress just happens to have a big pecker staring you in the face. Not at all what I want, or expected. To say the least ...

On a lighter note, I will say this, the steering damper works great though! Thanks Motosportz!
  7. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    not in stock.
    7-10 business days (so goes the promise - heard that one before ...)
    Yeah, that is normal.
    That would be how long one would wait for a Japanese shift lever ...
    Perfect.

And somehow I am supposed to be thrilled with this bike ...
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Yes, the shifter problem is not unheard or, but is is also not common.
    As for suspension, I have a TXC511 setup for a fast rider who weighs 180 lbs, but it is far too soft for me at 260 even though I am slower; and most other folks think it is too stiff for anything but racing...even if they weigh 225. Aint no bike delivered that fits everyone's suspension needs, hence the thriving cottage industry of suspension tuners. For stiffer suspension, start with a TXC or TC instead of the TE, but it isnt hard to get it spot on for your needs.
    Slow I wont buy. We have a string of 1st place trophies saying this thing is anything but slow, and that includes passing pretty much any 450 in the desert at will. JD Tuner (also should resolve the stalling), decent pipe (we run the stock Akrapovic) is all it takes to wake it up.

Another boring shot of my slow TXC511..
    [IMG]
    Bomber1b, Tinken and juicypips like this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If you have any issues call Bills of Halls. I bet Bills has one in stock. Should be super EZ to get.

thanks man. and No, thank YOU.

Hope you get the bike sorted to your needs. As far as you 05 YZ, well i ride a 04 CR125 husky that I have built to be as good as a new one. Bikes have not progressed leaps and bounds in the last 10 years IMHO. An 05 that works for you is probably as good as anything. I had a 02 YZ250 all setup and rode it back to back with a 08 YZ250 off road and was hard pressed to see how it was better. New bikes are cool but IMHO not a huge leap forward.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Call Bills. I bet they have one and you can have it on your doorstep before the weekend if you order it now.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I am 190-195 and rode that bike. Found it on the stiff side but not STIFF. I could ride it as is and it was very controlled at high speeds. As for slow F-No. That bike freaking ripped a hole.
  12. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    well, here is how my Husky is doing at the moment.
    And how my yammer does every time.
    Not stoked on the long wait for my shifter.
    Just sucks. Much to be said for riding standard (read:widely available) motorcycle brands.
    Called basically every southern CA dealer - none have a shifter in stock.
    Further, the shifter has been quoted at $58 ...
    Yep,
    Stoked ...

Attached Files:

13. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bill's has it in stock !!!
    Stoked !!!
    Thanks to Bill and MotoSportz for the help!

I will post up when this think stays tight!
    PS, Bill says he has sold 2 of these in the past couple of weeks, so something is up.
    Just sayin'
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Told ya :D Bills, best dealer on the planet. Period.
    SloChicken likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bet it has more to do with how hard it is to get to the bolt. People are probably under or over tightening them. Or maybe they are shit :)
  16. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Japanese parts are not that easy to get anymore. I have a kx250f apart in my shop right now that I have been waiting for a shift drum for 9 weeks. Customer is not happy either.
  17. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Um, ship.drum???
    Whatever it is, probably not as in demand as a shift lever.
  18. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

I fixed that up for you. The shift drum for the kxf is a known problem. I'm just a small one man shop out in the sticks and even I have done a few.
  19. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    O
    Haha,
    I waited almost 3 months for a shifter pawl for my track bike (duc 999), and was beginning to feel.like that was going to be "deja vu all over again", but motosportz and Billz saves the day!
    Signed me n the bike up for relationship counseling - hoping we can salvage our heated yet tumultuous affair LOL
    Motosportz likes this.
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Did I ever tell you about the time that my Bultaco Pursang sheared the left side of the crank in half mid-moto? Took some guy in a cave in Spain 8 weeks to whittle me a new one out of unobtanium (or was it melted tin cans?) Then another week after that to get the local Corvair expert (I kid you not) to press it all back together. I was 18 at the time and patience was definitely not my strong suit, especially in the middle of the season.

:)
    SloChicken likes this.