1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 - crappy pot metal shifter keeps loosening. Aftermarket Replacements?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz450f, 900ss, st2, rd350, HD EG
    Stupid shifter keeps stripping. Spent half my weekend either limping back to camp or working on this p.o.s. shifter. Are there any decent aftermarket options out there?
  2. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    So far I've found nothing suitable for a full replacement.

I've emailed Driven asking about one, they said the one for the older models fits, but I'm sure it doesn't. I've borrowed one so I'll see how it goes when it gets here. Then we can start emailing driven, hammerhead etc! I'm sure they'll love a flooded email inbox when they get back to work in the new year.
  3. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks for the input. I guess it may be time to fab one up ... Pretty sad when it comes to that but I guess that is what it is like for us that are riding italian/swiss/german/taiwanese (Read: Husqvarna) bikes instead of the big 4. So far, I feel like owning these bikes are akin to owning my ducati's in lame issues that would ordinarily be corrected if they were large volume production (again, as the big 4 are).
    If ANYONE knows of a decent supplier of aftermarket shifters that are a fit for this bike, please post up!

Thanks for the help!
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    There's another thread on here with many similar stories of stripped shifters, hopefully it'll show the after market mob's that there's at least 20 to be sold :P Maybe enough to get a batch made *shrug*
  5. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    sheeeiiittt, If'n we can get'em tuh make'm, I'm in for 5 !!!
    Just kidding, but for as long as I have owned the bike, I seem to go through them pretty quick, betta' stock up!
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have almost 4000 miles on my bike largely off road and a lot of shifting and zero issues with the stock shifter coming loose. I did tighten it once with about 200 miles on it and have never had an issue since. I have seen this on other bikes and all i can say is keep them tight and don't let them get loose and keep using them. As for aftermarket for someone like me to manufacture them is not EZ because of the broach needed to make the splines. Someone like Hammerhead who has these should be able to bust them out EZ. I suggest we contact one of these manufactures and do a group buy that might motivate them.
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I had a problem with the shifter when I first got the bike as it was placed in a position where I would miss upshifts (it was too high at the toe. I lowered it then, and used blu lock tite on it. Tightening it has always been a PITA, but if I use two (yes, two) box end 8mm wrenches I can get it satisfactorily torqued (at least for the rest of the shifters I have ever used in my 35 years of riding off-road), yet it still comes loose.
    I don't doubt that yours has held up, but mine hasn't, and it seems I am not alone in this problem. My shifter on my 2005 yz450 has been trouble free too. but not on this bike. Did I mention the bike keeps stalling too. Just a series of problems with this bike. Mostly nuisances, but still it is killing the fun and stoke of having a new bike. Not really a fan of bringing my motocrosser to the desert just so I can plan on my Husky failing, but that is the trend for now ...
    As for the group buy, I am in. but for now the tig welder is out, I am going to buy some good steel and make a proper one out of some tube stock. I hate doing this kind of stuff when it should be available for 40 bucks or so from a vendor ... Somewhere ...
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Here is the skinny ... That shifting lever needs to be softer metal than that shaft so that when the lever gets loose, you do not ruin the shaft coming out of the engine ...

Don't run the lever loose ... Check it often ... make sure the lever pinches down correctly on the shaft and has NO play ... Any play and keep tightening it down ...
  9. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, got that, tightened the shit out of the Lever so it had no play, still loosened up after about 30 minutes each time. I tightened the shit out of it too and.used blu lock tite.
    Between the stalling and this ongoing lever issue i am pretty fed up with this bike.
    Can't say I would recommend this bike over my yz. I got this bike for the desert and it has been less than spe tacular so far- to the point that my 2005 yz is my first choice. Less problems in the 7 years with that bike than the 4 months I have owned this one. Not to mention the lack of aftermarket fixes available for the bike's shortcomings.
    Just shouldn't be the case for a 9k bike...
    Stuck with it, for now...
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Yep .. I hear ya on that ... ESP the 9K ... Some times I even get frustrated with my Huskies ... Best to step back and take a breath or do a little bitchin' ... I can't justify 9K for a new bike so I bought 3 used ones for that ~amount++ ... 250/300 WRs are the bikes that go forever ...

Make sure the lever is pinching correctly at the rear of the lever when the bolt goes through at that little split in the lever... If that bolt is binding against that split in that lever somehow and not pinching down on the shaft ... it will always come back loose ...

Stalling sounds like an EFI issue ... These guys can help there I'm sure ...

Huskies have never had much in the 3rd party aftermarket stuff and the 449/511 models are sitting isolated as they have only been around 2-3 yrs ...
  11. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    I would say you have defective shift lever. You should question your dealer who charged you for assembly fees.

Some parts for KTM and Beta works on 511. Found the gas cap a beta works on the TE449/511.

If you have time take your lever/ Bike to IMS and see if and older model could possibly work. Call them and ask what the options are and if they can help find one.

IMS
    6240 Box Springs Blvd. Unit E
    Riverside, CA 92507
    1-800-237-9906
    Tinken likes this.
  12. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    are the splines on the gear shaft a standard size?
    on my old bike i took the disc cutter to the pinch gap and widend it a little and used a hightensile allen capped bolt to hold it in situe,effing hung on it like i was trying to pry my womans legs apart :thumbsup: .
    still holding tight. good luck tho
    TE in RC and SloChicken like this.
  13. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    this sounds like the plan.
    Thanks man!
  14. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    You shouldn't be messin' with the mans woman! :D
  15. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    trust me she can look after herself, SA girl born n bred.
    seriously tho that should help but have a look at the shafts splines before hand see if they have worn twisted??? maybe look into a replacment shaft. or claim on warrenteeeeeeee if youve got one, as it should be coverd by the dealers insurance thing no? i may just be guessing...

p.s. give em hell about bike stalling too.
  16. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    The bike stalling thing is pretty universal for this model. It is well documented on this and other sites. I hav had the dealer put a fa tory upgraded flash, and have the jumper installed. The simple fact is, it shouldn't stall as stock. I fell and broke 2 ribs on a climb when the bike stalled in a technical and rocky section.
    Really not too impressed with the bike at this point. My YZ is faster, has better suspension, and overall is a better performer. The only things the husky really does better is the electric start and the license plate. Otherwise it has been a step backwards. It is a good looking bike, but at this point it is akin to a beautiful wife that just doesn't want to phaak...
    Not going the warranty route, and going to the dealer is going to be a losing proposition. My mechanical skills are on par with any tech in that house-and i care more about the end result.
    Tomorrow i will pull the shifter, cut away a bit of the alum where it pinches, drill out the feeble 4mm bolt and put a proper thru bolt on this POS.
    I really should have known better. I have been dealing with crappy italian castings for many years now with my ducs, don't know why I should expect any different here...
    At any rate, thanks all for the input. Hopefully I get this fixed by the weekend or it will be the blu bike again...
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sorry for your pain. hope your fix works. Good luck.
    Desertyucca and SloChicken like this.
  18. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I dealt with this POS today.
    Well, first, to take off the shifter.
    The Chain is in the way ...
    Pull the chain, and the associated guides and plastic cover to access the POS shifter.
    Get to the shifter.
    Now to find a wrench that can fit ...
    It takes two different 8mm box wrenches that I would have to alternate due to a lack of space to turn said wrenches. Too tight for a 1/4 drive ratchet/socket. Who made this POS ???
    Finally get the shift lever off ...
    Dremel off about 2mm of material at the pinch point as it was bottoming out and inhibiting full tightening of the bolt (which seems to be the root of the problem)>
    locktite both the bolt and the shifter threads to ensure this stupid POS has a fighting chance of staying tight.
    Replace shifter back on bike.
    Tighten, and then ... It strips, the threads just plain pulled out...
    Freakin' nuts. Not only is this in the worst possible place to access, but the aluminum may as well be made of brie cheese for all the good it is.
    So,
    I decide to find a throug bolt to run through the original pinch bolt holes and put a nut/washer on the free end.
    except there isn't enough clearance to access the nut if I decided to go this route ..
    Of course ...
    So, I tap out the shifter with a 1/4" tap and put in a bolt I had laying around. Pretty funny, the bolt is for my harley. Pretty cool, SAE/American stuff saves the day.
    Put the shifter back on and after about 100, 1/8 rotation turns I got the thing tight.

Going to the desert this weekend, but I am bringing my yammy and my SandRail just in case. At this point I have little faith in this bike and am somewhat inclined to just leave it out there if it fails again.

After all the ongoing BS I have about had it with this bike.
    Too soft suspension (Fixed with RaceTech springs), but shitty (harsh) compression damping on the small stuff just so it will handle the bigger hits.
    Stalling (still not fixed), probably never will be. Despite the PowerUp map jumper in, and the "good map" (according to my dealer) flashed onto my ECU.
    The shifter should not be a problem, and with most any other bike, it wouldn't be. Not this one tho.
    For now, this bike gets a big C-, and trending towards a big F in my book.
    A big F off if it doesn't get it's act together quick.
    Really feeling like I should have bought a nice, boring, CRF450X, but after this BS with EuroTrash I probably wouldn't get another one. KTM or otherwise.
    The pipe dream is starting to suck ...

I do appreciate the help from you all, but I have about had it with this bike
  19. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    bad day? :cheers:

I will get better, lol.
    Im looking at the Husabergs believe it or not! :eek:
  20. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    thats no effing good man, but i see where your coming from with issues, hope the retapped thread holds.:)