SWM in the USA

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Cousins - Cagiva, etc' started by Original Dirt, Mar 14, 2016.

1. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    In the RS650R Oz test robertaccio link above, this paragraph doesn't make a lick of sense to me:

"Macchi's resumé is clearly evident in this big enduro: it screams Italian dirt bike DNA and it's powered by a liquid-cooled and fuel-injected four-stroke engine Macchi initially penned for Husqvarna back in the Cagiva days. It wasn't used then, nor when Husky passed into BMW and then KTM ownership, but it's finally found its place in the RS 650 R, which is actually based on the 2010 Husqvarna TE630."
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    makes sense kind of, no? , that engine was designed by Macchi when Husky was under the Cagiva umbrella and purely Italian, it was newest big block TE630 engine , used in the 2010 TE630 not a BMW and for sure not a KTM , so the gist is it is pure Italian Ampelio Macchi engineered powerplant
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    robertaccio and Colo moto like this.
  4. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    If they make a 165 or so I believe they will sell a bunch....
  5. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com

I agree. That "review" seemed like he only rode the bike through the parking lot, through the gravel to the street and back again.
  6. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Most people will not race a 650.... the 500 yes.... most 650s will get light trail riding and light city work.....
    Norman Foley and robertaccio like this.
  7. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    From the little I have read of the Euro4 it sounds like mfg of the small bore 2t's like the 125's may not be done in '17 and beyond, so I bet no sub 250cc 2t's.

The 650/500/300 (Husky) platform SWM have are great bikes I hope to see more of on the trails. I want the SWM 300 as it's a great trail s/t bike. Winter 2017 for the 300 in the USA is not soon enough.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Part of this is the Euro4 requirement, that all street bikes have ABS. That's why there is ABS on the 701 Enduro. Putting ABS on 125 2T Enduro bikes, along with emissions requirements might make it tough to do right now.
  9. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    well its nice to know there's safety Nazis in Europe:censored: dat:censored:
    Huskynoobee and Original Dirt like this.
  10. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    ....and from Motocross Action Magazine a nice "shout out" on their website as well today. Thanks to Jody and crew..... http://motocrossactionmag.com/…/swm-speedy-works-motors-to-… unfortunately some info is a little inaccurate, but no big deal.......125 2T ? where did that come from..?

I previously mentioned that the 2Ts were not even on their (SWM) radar until they started getting inquiries from AU, and from Pete Vetrano in person last week.
    Since new 2Ts are not permitted to be street ridden in Europe anymore and since riding areas are so far and few between, their initial goal was to get back in the market with their previously developed 4Ts for both on and off-road sales to grow from. The worldwide 2T market is now seriously being looked at by SWM to see how quickly can they bring them to market and how much investment it will take. We requested a 300XC E-start for the US market, and also would be interested in a 150-200XC as well. We don't expect anything to happen soon as they prepare for the 2017s, especially those with US specs which require sourcing some other non-EU components .

The Shineray ownership is actually very interested in competing in off-road series world wide. They will be developing new SWM bikes for MXGP. Shineray actually bought, modded and re-badged, a couple of Yamaha YZ250F bikes with BNGs as Shineray's and raced them in a couple of MXGPs...of course with no name riders and without any success except to get the Shineray - SRM branding out there for the Asian markets. There are so many facets to the R&D at SWM going on that it's hard to keep track. Of course Macchi is the final say on all of the projects....including the 440s for all but the Asian markets and they appear to be works in process with SWM-IT still giving lots of feedback to SRM in China. No major problems , just inconsistencies.
    Herb, robertaccio and Dirtdame like this.
  11. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    The RS650Rs we bring in will most likely all be "Adventure Bike" type "Superdauls".
    Norman Foley and robertaccio like this.
  12. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Good. That superdual is a nice looking bike. I think it will do well if they can get some out there in front of customers.
  13. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Guess that mag is reading this forum lol
  14. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    SWM ("Sironi Vergani Vimercate Milano" aka "Speedy Working Motors") made some evil 2-strokes already back in 1976, at the time their bikes were as good as anything made in Europe (and Japan) :

. SWM_Silver_Vase_7_marce_del_-1976.jpg
  15. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ...some of the familiar Husky based offerings look sweet and I'm sure I'll be paying close attention to them since ktm has begun dropping much needed wear items that were common among many of Husky's models...granted I'm probably not alone thinking that SWM may become a source for parts for current Italian Husky owners...yeah,I'm already looking at the rear brake pedal off the 300...ktm has had it on back-order for 3 months now!..want to sell me one? I'll be the first guinea pig !
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks to awesome Austrian Rotax motors! I always wanted to ride one of these, but never got the chance. I figured those Rotax motors would be great in a chassis better than a Can Am! :oldman:
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    THATS A SACHS AINT IT ?
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    280 was a sweet motor.... we put one in a atk.... very nice
  19. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    Sachs 7-speed made in Germany :) ... Later SWM switched to Austrian-made Rotax who were supplying KTM as well (from what I remember). Front fork Ceriani, rear shocks Marzocchi? It seems many of these nice SWM's are still running today.

2yo2urp.jpg SWM 125cc Sachs.jpg
    Norman Foley likes this.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rotax only supplied 4T motor to KTM.
    rancher1 likes this.