SWM in the USA

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Cousins - Cagiva, etc' started by Original Dirt, Mar 14, 2016.

1. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a 1985 ktm rotax motor.
  2. Macca swm Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    swm sm650r
    I just got the new swm sm650r, apparently the the first one sold in oz. I'm trying to find out if it is the same engine as the husky te630, their is conflicting information. Some sites claim it's the same while others say it was a macchi design that was never put into production. It only has 200kms on the clock and I'm a very inexperienced rider. But I bloody love it. I'm was a bit worried about buying this bike as its so new. But if it's as good as the Te 630sm I think I shouldn't have many problems
  3. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    guscycle, robertaccio and NCSteve like this.
  4. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I was talking to somebody about these the other day and the topic of two strokes came up. He said he thought GasGas bought those motors, so we'd likely not see them from SWM. Any truth to that?
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I remember somethin bout GG but not sure way they'd want with em as their 2ts r pretty bloody good! Maybe newer 2t designs?

Is swm runnin the old school big hubs or r they jus not polished? Hard to tell from foto
  6. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    The delay on importing the RS300Rs is due to SWM's desire to spread out the financial cost of "investing" in getting the EPA/CARB/DOT certifications which can run $20->$30K per bike. Thankfully, they see the USA market in such a positive way that they are funding the entire project....Thank you SWM !
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Is that $20-$30k per bike model? Wouldn't have thought a coupla hundred grand be chicken feed to shineray?!

But I guess if you're havin to do this for multiple countries(Aus ADR/yank CARB-DOT-EPA/euro homologation etc) it soon adds up into the high hundred thou/millions! The cost of modern red tape enviro business-fees will stop global warming n the hole In the ozone I guess!;)
  8. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    To wet your appetite, this is what the SWM-IT Husqvarnas look like at stores in Italy right now:

. RS-650-R.jpg

Attached Files:

454x, guscycle and bigjon like this.
  9. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  10. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Wonder who will be the first to convert their husky to swm plastics/tank/seat?

With swm producing the only issue for Italian husky will be engine parts(2ts, xlite & 449/511). Seems the kymco crew mite be in strife but if GG produces the xlite n maybe the old 2ts(them or Swm) mite be ok for years to come. Maybe. Sellin parts to old husky customers might make bein a swm dealer jus a bit easier/bit more income.
    guscycle and robertaccio like this.
  11. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I remembered to ask Pete Vetrano about what he found out at SWM concerning "legacy IT-Husky" parts. The news is not all that good. When BMW took over they changed many of the vendors to ones that they had been working with at that time. Then when Cross Industries took over the Husqvarna name they again switched some vendors. The result is that some of the "legacy IT-Husky parts vendors" are no longer in business. That being said, many chassis parts are compatible, but exactly what is unknown at this time. Most of the red-head engine parts should be compatible, again which is unknown. We will have no access to any BMW-Husky parts,..... and you know the rest. Pre-red-head parts, you could be in trouble except for pistons, maybe rods-valves-etc. We do not have any parts diagrams or part number lists yet. We hope that SWM has used many of the SKUs that they used pre-BMW, and that would surely help. We did hear that some experienced and enterprising Euro-SWM dealers have developed a good parts business supplying existing IT-Husky riders with compatible parts, and we will look into it. So, we should certainly start a SWM-IT Husky cross-over parts thread. I will start one, but we have nothing to add at this time, so please chime in with factual info.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  13. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
  14. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I really like the Silver Vase 440 ... Hopefully the rear passenger (girlfriend, wife, lover etc) will not have her/his inner thighs affected by all the heat from those twin mufflers. That could really ruin an otherwise perfect Sunday outing. I imagine that one could perhaps mount the lower sleeker Gran Milano twin mufflers if one wanted to. Those are a bit more out of the way.
  15. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
  16. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two fairly new SWM videos which - I think - have not been posted here before:

youtbe videos U1GdbD2Ezl8 and RPJmYK_75j0

(note that the first one is called "SWM Husqvarna")

SWM Husqvarna.jpg
  17. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    On another note, I would think that MAYBE some of the new SWM speedos are compatible with some of the old Husqv IT speedos? Anybody know / guess ?

Attached Files:

18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    ^ On ADV site for the SWM 650 they are saying plugs for the O2 sensor are different and the male/female sides are reversed. I imagine the basic wiring harness is unchanged so a capable owner could swap out the plugs and get things between SWM/HVA to work.
  19. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    With about 7 years between production controlled by IT-Husky and IT-SWM for similar models. Many important vendors either closed or lost/destroyed their tooling for the similar models. So, new vendors and old vendors had to design and adapt to each other's newer sourced products. So, it will be a trial and error process to figure out what can be interchanged or adapted.
    robertaccio likes this.
  20. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I was just cruising the i-net and decided to look up Twin Air applications for the SWMs. Here is what we found Husky applications listed for comparison.

SWM Enduro/Motard RS300 RS500 SM500 15-16 157004 - - -
    Air filter Oil Filter

TE/SM 610 06-09 155506 - - - - - 140012
    TE-SM 610 10-11 155506 - - - - - 140012
    TC/TE/SM 570/600/630 All 155506 - - - - 140012
    SWM Enduro/Motard RS650/SM650 15-16 155506 - - - - -140012
    robertaccio likes this.