SWM in the USA

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Cousins - Cagiva, etc' started by Original Dirt, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    There is a ton of work sitting on Macchi's design boards, but he has only so many hours a day and so many days a week to work on them while working on maintaining quality control and design integrity. With most all components (cases, cylinders, heads, cranks, pistons, ....chassis...etc.) outsourced in Europe in order to go forward with 300 production there have to be enough worldwide orders to justify the purchase orders for the specific components for the 300s and that number has not yet been reached. Once reached they are looking at a 90 day window to receive what they need exclusive to the 300s plus 30-90 days for production scheduling.

The 250/340 race machines are only billet r&d machines for now and may never be built in those configurations as Macchi fears that his designs are outdated and need updating before cast engine cases and mechanical parts are even close to ordering. Shineray wants the race series bikes to be MXGP competitive and is willing to spend the money to make it happen, but once again the time frame is way down the road. The RS series bikes will be going forward pretty much as is because they are reliable and quality proven. The 650 Super Dual is just what we thought, as in version 3 of the 600cc (610/630/now 650) and they are aware that a larger displacement engine is needed with a couple of options in the advanced design stage. They have multiple dynos for r&d including at least one that allows for extended time operations at varying speed and load, so they are committed to making serious products. Typical to the Euro motorcycle industry there are proven engine designs not currently in production anywhere out there for sale outright that SWM is seriously considering purchasing and developing further into SWM products.

On the subject of 2Ts. All of the engine components are out sourced in Europe and they will begin to contact those suppliers to see what the situation is with tooling that belonged to IT Husky. Since 2Ts are no longer street legal in Europe they decided to ignore the 2T market but with interest from the USA, AU, and others they will seriously look into it and then if the pieces/parts are still source-able determine pricing and let us place orders...don't hold your breath...we're probably looking at late Winter 2017.
    Herb likes this.
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Sounds like macchi needs some engineering/supervision help? Trying to do too much possibly? Thought shineray might go all in on start up n have multiple models available but sounds like they playin it safe to a certain degree. Jus my personal opinion but I think they should make it a 350 not a 300 to be somewhat competitive with beta, Sherco n ktm/husky

Thanks for the in depth reply mate curious to see what eventuates. Appreciate the updates
  3. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Macchi is not working alone in engineering, but there are so many things that are under design, development, revision, and updating that he has the final approval. Shineray's ownership is very ambitious and the initial showing of product offerings seems to be with the aggressive industrial Asian mindset. "Yeah, we can build all of these"...but then reality sets in when Macchi reminds them that quality and reliability must precede expansion in the product line. SWM has adopted the new small manufacturer model of "Just in time - just for orders" safe mode. Current production capability is around 2500 units per year with future capacity in the 6K-8K yearly production. They operate in the "new" BMW built factory which sits adjacent to the dormant original Cagiva/IT Husky factory, so space is not a problem. The current and future situation slowing development is mostly related to sending casting, transmission, crankshaft, and cam/valve designs to EU vendors and waiting, then testing, then accepting or modifying those pieces-parts to assemble an engine for further r&d prior to going forward with production. It is likely that when BMW ran the operation that they used different vendors or house supplied whatever they needed and the IT-Husky vendors were likely abandoned by BMW. ....so SWM in many ways is starting with those items that they were/are able to recoup in the market place.
    Herb likes this.
  4. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Personally I think the 310 and 510 was one of the best bikes Husky ever made... Sounds like they are doing it right Don't jump in both feet and produce junk because people will remember that.... take your time and do it right... man a 150 would be awesome...along with a 500....
    robertaccio and LandofMotards like this.
  5. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    All very interesting ... yes indeed a RS 350 (instead of a 300) would make slightly more sense. But I understand there are constraints coming from a previous, proven design. And of course an RS 450 (or 500) with an almost identical form factor & parts interchangeability.

It is also quite possible that an RR 300 will fit the same cc band as Honda's extremely popular and soon to be updated CRF250L (CRF300L). A bike with a rather large potential customer base (good price, reliability, some riding comfort and, last but not least, a sensible 34.7" (88cm) seat height for a street legal/DS).

Btw the current seat height on the RS300 is 37.9" (96cm) which will inevitably require, for riding safety, "lowering links", with significant added costs for myself and most of my riding friends. Unless all of us grow another three inches in the next few months...

"With most all components (cases, cylinders, heads, cranks, pistons, ....chassis...etc.) outsourced in Europe" ... I wonder how Beta and TM solved this problem as they entirely produce their engines in house? There should be good fraction of northern italian, thus local, suppliers for many of their basic engine & frame parts.

I thought ktm made all their aluminum engine cases in house, I can see how outsourcing so many different engine parts, some with extremely small tolerances, could quickly turn into a logistic nightmare.

Btw, Is there even a market for another 600/610/630/650? Esp. given SWM's somewhat established tradition in the enduro area.

I understand the "silver vase" SV 440 is a completely different design, so I would assume the complete engine (a super reliable honda clone?) can be sourced as soon as tomorrow from the far east.
  6. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Is there a market for a 650? ummm no DR650, KLR650, RS650, Yamaha 650 KTM 690... ya theres a market a huge one
    cyclopathic and LandofMotards like this.
  7. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    From: HERB..".Btw the current seat height on the RS300 is 37.9" (96cm) which will inevitably require, for riding safety, "lowering links", with significant added costs for myself and most of my riding friends. Unless all of us grow another three inches in the next few months..."
    That tall seat height was definitely a part of the conversation that Pete had with them. I'm pretty sure that he explained that the 38" seat height would be a negative factor in any magazine review....as well as how they will be received by riders. Hmmm ...just how many 6"+ tall Italians with a 35'+ inseam ride dirt bikes........

The frames come from an Italian vendor, so a jig fix should not be a big deal to solve that problem.
  8. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
  9. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well I'm glad I am not the only one to bring up that 38" seat height on the RS 300 ... The RS 650 looks nice too, just a bit too big for my driving "around town", the seat height on that one is nevertheless a more sensible 35".
    Original Dirt likes this.
  10. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Maybe you should be on a trials bike, no seat height ;)
    racemx904 and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nah those things look hideous (to me) :) Ossa, Cota, Montesa those things were around already in the 70's ? ... never saw a soul riding them.
  12. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    my dad two riding buddies that had them one Ossa and a Montesa
  14. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    No 300 until possibly the 2017 model year, that makes me sad.
  15. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Norman Foley likes this.
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    If this comes to US, I'm owning one!:oldman:
    troy deck likes this.
  17. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I like the looks of the Silver Vase. It's like a sturdy and quirky version of a '70's styled bike. Initially the tank to me looked too angular but seeing the old bikes I can see why they carry forward. I like bikes out of the 70's... Before the Gold Wing and the fake choppers came along, Updated and unique it retains the utility of the 350-650 bikes of the good old days.
  18. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    mmmmmaybe if i had a cash ...and it was an 850 :thumbsup:maybe even a triple
  19. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Norman Foley and Herb like this.
  20. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles: