Potential Australian recall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Geeza, May 1, 2016.

1. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

The ECUs are going with DHL (soft bag? with insurance) to KTM in Mattighofen Austria and then onto MM in Bologna.
    After the update they are sent directly back to Oz. The average turnaround is still less than 3 weeks.
    Got mine back today, seems to have lost a little poke down low and doesnt seem to want to stand up as easily,
    smoother and less snatchy. It does appear to idol better at 1600. Looking forward to getting off road.
    "Boooster Plug Be Gone"
    ecn226 and Geeza like this.
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    The DHL bags and knock-up cardboard box packaging come in a bag from KTM....with official part number stickers and all.
    Saw a set laying on a counter yesterday..
  3. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    My ECU left Oz on the 28 June and has arrived back in country today. Happy with the turnaround (14 days), will provide an update when the ecu is back in the bike on firmware version and if I have had to reset adaptions etc. Stay safe ☺
    Moff69 and PaulC like this.
  4. ecn226 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250r CRF150R
    I got the call yesterday that the ECU arrived and the bike is ready to be picked up. It took 3 weeks for mine to return which I guess isn't to bad considering it is now seen more of the world than I have. I'll pick the bike up next Saturday and see how it goes.
    PaulC likes this.
  5. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    At lunch time I popped home and refitted my ECU, connected the earth strap to the ECU case (this runs to the battery and engine block) and refitted a full charged battery.

Ignition on - no EWS light - cranked the bike over, took longer than normal to fire up.
    Engine idle fluctuated initially before it settled down to the normal cold/warm up cycle revs.
    Left the bike to idle up to operating temp then allowed it to continue idling for 2 complete cooling fan cycles, during this time the idle returned to a steady 1550 RPM.
    Turned the bike off, tried a restart and it fired it up straight away - will check it tonight when it is cold.
    Connect the laptop to the bike, Rheingold initially did not talk to the bike but then decided to play nicely.
    Software version is now 20.255.3, had to come back to work so will do some more investigation on the ECU firmware tonight and possibly take it for a ride :D Stay safe - Geeza
    Slowflyer and PaulC like this.
  6. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Good news there!!
    :applause:
  7. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Seems to be dead reliable while lane splitting and in a brief off road stint, never missing a beat.
    Cold starts are vastly improved. And I may have jumped the gun about being down on poke.
    Honestly my TR has never ran so good. Pity it has 52k kms. Long time coming! Happy camper

With the GS911 tool, have had the same File System Version (FSV) update as Magoo. For the firmware part # 8543015, (from 20.30.2 to 20.255.3)
    Moff69, Slowflyer, DeLewis and 2 others like this.
  8. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Braved the cold and dark and went for a ride tonight. :eek: 6 degrees C :eek:
    Bike started first time from cold, once warm idle is steady at 1550rpm.
    Throttle on acceleration feels smoother with no flat spots and when rolling off power the response is less on/off (hope that makes sense)
    Looking forward to putting some more K's on the bike and a bigger smile on my dial.
    Did not have time to properly interrogate the ECU with the laptop tonight, it is on my to do list when my hands defrost.
    Moff69, PaulC and LED like this.
  9. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Recall was done with the booster plug still connected. Now had a ECU reset without booster plug and isn't much better than before.
    Still idles all over the place, very hard to cold start, and feels very sluggish from take off. (Almost have to ride the clutch).
    Putting the booster is going back on -
  10. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Wayne's head just exploded ;)

How was the reset done? Was the engine idled until the fan came on twice? There are quite a few reports that the bikes run really well after the update if the adaption reset was performed properly and the booster plugs (snake oil) should not be necessary any more.
  11. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Not sure what was done, and they don't want to know me now.

Before I give it the flick - Is there any other things to look at in regards to Hard cold starting (3 x at least 10 cranks) and idle hovering all over the place (even as low as 1400rpm)
  12. Snow Dog Aus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Terra 650
    4 weeks 2 days lots of phone calls to dealer I finally get the call to come and collect my bike it's all updated and ready to go
    Then they ring me back 1/2 hour later and tell me while they were bringing it out the front the hazard light comes on with EWS fault
    They are now trying to contact Husqvarna Australia for a diagnosis tool as they don't have one
    Considering buying a gs911 tool for myself now
    So freaking annoyed
  13. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Has anyone received a letter from HQVA advising them of the recall as per the PSA notice?
  14. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

From my understanding it will be unlikely that many Australian owners will receive a letter from HQVA - reason for this is the importer of the bikes failed to correctly register the Australian owners.
    A number of bikes are still listed as being in Italy, which is partly true if your ECU is currently being updated at the moment by MM :rolleyes:
  15. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

PM sent
  16. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar

not related to the ECU and recall but one thing to make sure is that the throttle cable has sufficient free play when the forks are turned to the left and right limiter. If there is only the slightest pull on the throttle cable when switching on the ignition, the idle actuator setting will be screwed up resulting in poor starting and/or idling.
  17. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    So you should be annoyed, how a Husky Dealer is allowed to operate without having the Husky/KTM diagnostics systems is beyond me, it would normally be required by an Mfr for the dealer to be equipped properly to be considered an authorised dealer. I would be complaining loudly to Husky Oz

Re the GS911, remember it is the GS911 WiFi model you need to purchase
    Benergy and Snow Dog Aus like this.
  18. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Ah my head exploded a long time ago, only operating with the remnants, Sussurf can confirm that if he has his head attached these days :)

You are right on the money re the adaption reset/rebuild bogwheel refers to, the way he stated it suggests a Dealer has done it for him, I would expect problems if the machine had adaptions reset/rebuilt properly by the dealer as part of the upgrade and then booster removed without another proper reset/rebuild using a diagnostics system
    johnsweet likes this.
  19. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Hey bogwheel.
    PM me if you want to use the gs911 tool
    WayneC likes this.
  20. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Shop that did the reset for me has advised that if I do the Pod mod I will require the booster plug again.
    What are your thoughts please?