Potential Australian recall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Geeza, May 1, 2016.

1. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I know for a fact that Husqvarna is sending the cables for free to the dealers to interact with the current KTM-based diagnostic system. There is also a diagnostic procedure that needs to be performed when reinstalling the ECU.
  2. Snow Dog Aus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Terra 650
    Another week gone by without my bike
    Here is what I know from the husky dealer
    After the dealer got the cable air bagged to my dealer the scan tool is picking up a cluster fault which I think is to do with the dash
    EWS fault can be cleared with the scan tool but randomly comes back
    The key can be cycled several times and the EWS fault disappears and bike will start
    Husky Australia went online to look into the fault and could not work it out and suggest it an issue with the remap
    I have asked the dealer to look at the plug connection into the dash and given them my spare key to see if it was the ring antenna
    Husky Australia have sent a snap shot of the issue to MM for further assistance
    Will keep you all posted
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I can't remember anyone on this forum ever complaining that the pod mod made their bike stall/stumble more, and I don't think anyone with the pod-mod who has had the recall done has said their bike requires the booster plug again so I wonder whether that is based on any fact, or whether they're just throwing that out there. Regardless, my bike runs great with the booster plug and the pod mod and hasn't had the recall done. I'll remove the booster plug before I get the recall done, but if it requires it again aftewards then no problem, it'll just go straight back on again. I have no qualms about running the bike with it.
    PaulC, glitch_oz and duibhceK like this.
  4. Snow Dog Aus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Terra 650
    Picking up the bike tomorrow
    Husqvarna Australia believes it is a security fault with the bike causing the EWS fault and are going to replace the dash in the bike out of good will for free
    They say it can be up to 2 months to get the parts together and when I pick up the bike tomorrow they will give me a more accurate time frame
    I will keep you posted on how the bike behaves after the remap and if the EWS clears it self after riding the bike around for a while
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Any other shops around you can turn to?
    With an answer like that, I would run...fast!.
  6. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Am I the only one in Aust who has a problem after the recall fix?
    Seems to be guys in the US who have the same issues.
    Now have fuel constant from overflow hose.
    Head in the sand by husky.
  7. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    While waiting for my ECU to be located I was tempted to ask for a ride away price on on a bike on my "next bike shortlist".

When I was handed over the ecu I was informed nothing needed to be done unless an ews error appeared on the dash.

Didn't bother them further by asking for a price.:thumbsdown:

John
  8. ecn226 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250r CRF150R
    Well I have had mine back for about 3 weeks now and so far so good. It was treated to a service with new plugs at the same time so maybe that has helped it too. Mine wasn't to bad to begin with. Just the occasional stall and an off idle stumble and stall if you let it, until it warmed up properly. That's all gone now. No hint of a stumble at all. The throttle is not as snatchy? as it was and is far nicer to ride in slow areas. I cant feel any difference in performance, fuel economy seems about the same. The only thing is the cold start is a little worse but seems to be improving. All in all I am a happy owner.

One thing I was told was that it should not be plugged into the BMW system otherwise it would update to the BMW programming. I'll take their word on that because I really don't have much knowledge about this stuff.
    PaulC and Geeza like this.
  9. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    My Strada never misfired but after the update throttle response felt quicker.

The Terra was Wuka Kinged. That was disconnected for the update but Husky Aus advised reconnecting it afterwards. Seems running a bit richer is still of some benefit.

The idle on both is more steady and around 100 rpm higher than before.
    Geeza likes this.
  10. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Using the BMW Diagnostics system is fine. The Dealer clearly does not understand that there are 2 separate components to the BMW System, Diagnostics and Programming. The programming App does not automatically program anything, that is only done when the Tech tells it do do it. Diagnostics still works and is useful
    Geeza and ecn226 like this.
  11. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    BTW Many thanks to those who've been working behind the scenes to get this recall happening. :applause:
    wferrari, ecn226, Geeza and 1 other person like this.
  12. Stuart T Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMWR1150GSa
    Got mine back a week ago. Not too many miles on the clock, but it seems to be improved off idle, and is also idling higher than before. Hopefully the higher idle isn't just masking the issue, but I don't think so. It also got a service at the same time, which always make things seem better...
  13. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    My dealer said they're all idling higher. Mine's at 1600.
    One of mine never misfired but the throttle response is quicker after the recall.
    LED likes this.
  14. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I brought the Strada as my first bike and prior to the recall I did not find the engine characteristics confidence inspiring.
    Since the recall the bikes now a lot smoother on both acceleration and de acceleration with a nice increase in power across the whole rev range. Also when sitting on 3 grand the engine surging is now minimal.
    Shame this could not have been sorted out sooner and I am sure there is still room for improvement but I am happy with the changes.
    Also note the bike also benefits greatly from the bosch 124 injector, thanks to those that did the research on that one.
    Ziggy likes this.
  15. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Can only second all that.

Whoopteedoo....who woulda thunk!!
    The dutiful pickup from the dealers turned into an impromptu 2hr backblocks ramble with a grin that threatened to crack the helmet.

WHAT A TRANSFORMATION!!

This thing is actually rideable now, without dragging the clutch half the time, particularly in close, heavy traffic and when the going gets slow.
    Not a single stall!! And I tried. Then tried harder!
    Nope....can't kill the bugger.

Saw the "No thru road" sign at a local, narrow dirt lane and remembered it as a rough and fairly soft/ muddy, grassy track that nearly got me undone a few times on a check-out ride some years ago.
    Of course it does go thru....sort of.
    It sure was as I remembered it, just add a few prominent, embedded rocks sticking out of the slippery centre-hump, all making for a walking speed crawl up the hill, with the rear Tourance/ road-tyre dancing the Polka.
    It would've been near impossible before, coaxing a dragging clutch against needed throttle mixed with missing traction, trying to avoid that dreaded stall and the resulting dip into the muddy greenery.

No longer!!
    Just pop her into 1., stand up and let the idle make her crawl smoothly up the slippery slope while concentrating to keep that rear end from going too far out of shape.

The wonky idle has gone, if anything, the mid-range has picked up, there's SMOOTH cruising in top-cog from below 2000rpm, no jerking, no "chain-snatch" and there's steam packing from 3000-to-redline without any flattening or hesitation. Even the popping exhaust on the overrun is gone.
    Now we've finally got a bike!
    BLOODY BEAUTIFUL
    PaulC, DeLewis, LED and 1 other person like this.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Glitch were you on the latest firmware before the recall?
  17. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    There was (+is) nobody in Vic who could (+ can) update firmware.
    At most the local dealers can reset the service icon.
    No idea what "turdware" I was on....
    PaulC likes this.
  18. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    did you get any diagnostics printouts showing the firmware number before and after the reflash?
  19. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I bought my bike new from Vic. and it had the latest firmware on it from delivery. My brother's Terra has the old firmware on it and he loves it, no running issues at all. Just wandering.
  20. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

I doubt that that's part of the recall procedure.
    The dealer doesn't care either and also hasn't got the diagnostics to find out.
    They just remove the ECU, send it away, bolt it back into place and get paid for the job
    by Husky/ KTM/ whoever.
    Frankly, I don't care what firmware version I've got as long as it works.
    Whatever I've got now...does work.
    If that wasn't the case, the thing would be for sale now.