Potential Australian recall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Geeza, May 1, 2016.

1. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Not all TR650s had the faltering. (Ie. With the same firmware version).
  2. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Well, after last couple of weeks running superbly, my bike has now gone back to four goes to cold start, idles all over the place, and runs as rough as.
    Also has strong fuel smell all the time, and only getting 350km to reserve.
  3. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    So, over-rich.

Wasn't the old problem, addressed by the firmware update, over-lean on throttle opening and closing?
  4. blacki Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Daytona 955i, Honda Valkyrie
    I just took my Strada for its first long ride since the ECU returned from a 6 week holiday in Italy. The bike goes better: smooth, responsive, revs more willingly to 8000rpm, not that there was much wrong with the performance before. Not as cold blooded either, no stalling while cold. I'm not sure if the fuel consumption has changed. It varies between 20km/l and 26km/l anyway, and I can never predict it. I did record the highest consumption ever on part of this ride, 14.6 litres for 283km, or 19.4km/l. At least I know the tank holds 14.6 litres now.
    About 3 times since I bought the Strada, it has stalled at low speed in first gear when hot (even after a long ride), with an appalling screeching sound. Started OK while I was still rolling. I think it reversed direction (maybe ignition fully advanced?), the screech caused by the sprague clutch. Was that the reason for the recall?
  5. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I've had the same symptons, hesitating when cold (normal) and the odd stall from idle taking off in 1st in hotter weather, but not often.
  6. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Thats sound is as the engine kicks back against compression, the sound is coming from the oneway bearing in the starter....its not good and they tell me it can ultimately stuff it. The stalling is the reason for recall.
  7. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Received letter today from Husqvarna, addressed from HQVA Pty Ltd, advising me of the recall. The letter is not dated.

I had the ECU updated a few weeks ago. Seems to idle a bit higher on initial startup. Haven't really noticed any performance changes. Fuel economy seems better. Averaged about 4 l/100km during recent dirt trip over 4 days - loaded with camping gear. Can't complain about that.
  8. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    So my bikes are a mess after the recall, but Husqvarna Australia is now working with me to gather data on them and see what can be done. I have asked that the old BMW programming be put back in and I'll put the booster plug back on. No word yet on if they will do that. We'll see. Bikes are going back in again next week. Crossing fingers. My issues with one bike are hard starts, fast & fluctuating idle, and it died in a corner once (I went down). Wife's bike starts rough and doesn't want to build oil pressure quickly, and sounds like hell. I won't let her ride it until problems are solved. Don't need her having it cut out hard in a corner like it did to me.
  9. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Ouch.
    Hope you get solutions.
  10. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Thanks. Me too. I've told Husky how frustrated us owners are with the brand since the sale. BMW and KTM are busy fighting and we're in the middle getting screwed. Can't even buy an indicator for one. Ridiculous.
  11. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Hey LED, hope you're well. Just got my letter today as well. Did you have to bring your bike to Vic Park or just the ECU only? How long did it take? Wouldn't mind catching up to check out your bike before having mine done. Cheers
  12. SpittingCobra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400
    I got mine back today and it does seem to be more responsive, idling higher but fluctuating about 1550 to 1650 rpm. I'm finding the hunting at idle irritating and will have a fiddle with the PCV5 to see if I can correct it. Hunting idle is usually a sign of too lean and assuming they haven't touched anything other than the ECU, it seems that to prevent the stalling, they have simply increased the idle speed and done nothing with the idle mixture.
  13. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    when this stall became apparent to all owners many purchased after market devices to increase the richness of the fuel mixture. I purchased the booster plug but never installed it. I sat on the fence reading the different threads but decided not to install the booster plug. I suffered through the random stall but learned to control it using the throttle. My ECU was updated with the new firmware and runs good now and never stalls. Idle has increased, I have good power and much more torque. I read the many different threads and conclude that those who have aftermarket controllers installed even after removal still seem to have problems. I doubt you will see better engine response by installing aftermarket controllers after the ECU update. The ECU will sort this out and hopefully your engine will respond.
  14. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Not mine. In fact Husqvarna Australia recommended leaving my Wuka King in place after the firmware update. All it means is running richer to a degree. I see no difference in everyday observations of fuel use.

My understanding is that the problem was overly lean fuelling when the throttle was being opened or closed - not an idle or static throttle issue.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The majority of the problems suffered by owners was simply the failure to properly pre deliver the machines and ensure they were updated to the last BMW firmware revision plus the lack of understanding of the importance of adaption reset/ rebuild. What percentage of machines worldwide were delivered to owners without proper pre delivery is unknown

The firmware problems were not a simple question of "lean fuelling" when the throttle was being opened or closed

As for the Husky Importer recommending a snake oil spoofer be left in place it, tells you they dont have a lot of clue

The AIT spoofers can at best only increase fuel for the short initial throttle opening and even that is questionable

The symptoms reported by SpittingCobra would be an indication of adaptions not properly reset/rebuilt but whether the update was done at the Dealer or by sending the BMS-E only to the Dealer is unknown but with the PCV5 fitted forcing the BMS-E into open loop and with unknown PCV5 settings it would not instil any confidence in the actual AFR being delivered

Re the update recall in the US, so far they have still only updated less than 30% of the machines sold
  16. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    A lot of users reported the Wuka King solved the misfiring so why call it snake oil.
  17. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I believe that the Wuka King did the job it was sold to do, but that doesn't mean that the Australian importer is the expert on whether they should be left in play after the recall. I presume you asked them if you should leave it on after the recall and they had the choice of answering you with a yes or no. NOw, looking at that situation from the importers POV, if you believe that the Wuka King solved your problem before the recall then it is perfectly reasonable to expect that they have told you to leave it on just in case the recall did not successfully solve the stalling issue on your bike. There is a distinction between getting a question without notice answered (it was a 50/50 which way that answer was going to go) and claiming that this is any "official" recommendation from Husqvarna Australia that spoofers be used or in any way required post-recall.

For what it's worth, my bike had a stalling issue, that issue was completely resolved by using the Wuka King. Before the recall I disconnected the WukaKing and reconnected the original wiring to the AIT plug. Post recall, the bike runs better without the Wuka King than it ever did pre-recall and with the Wuka King, and at some stage I will get around to actually removing it from the bike completely (it's still cable tied in place but not plugged in).
  18. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Ziggy, there were a few types of budget spoofers around in the beginning. In desperation (if stalling was rampant) most TR riders opted for an Eruption or a booster plug or the wuka king.
    Waynes snake oil take is largely correct, at least for the eruption and bp. The ECU together with the O2 sensor would eventually see its being spoofed and the stalling would start again.
    In my case with the BP, 4k klms. Hence a waste of money for a temporary fix or snake oil!

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/what-is-your-spoofer-plug-experience.51514/

My BP is long gone.
    Try it without or leave it in.
  19. SpittingCobra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400
    "The symptoms reported by SpittingCobra would be an indication of adaptions not properly reset/rebuilt but whether the update was done at the Dealer or by sending the BMS-E only to the Dealer is unknown but with the PCV5 fitted forcing the BMS-E into open loop and with unknown PCV5 settings it would not instil any confidence in the actual AFR being delivered"

I took the bike in for the ECU upgrade not just the ECU.

Delving deeper, I hooked the laptop up to have a look at the Autotune and found that before the bike warms up, the idle is steady and the AFR is around 12. As the engine warms up the idling fluctuates from 1400 to 1600 and the AFR varies from 14 to 16 and an occasional 19. Fuel adjustment at idle is always zero as I have the tables set to make no change when the throttle is closed. Fuel adjustment starts when the throttle opening reaches 2% with an AFR target of 13.5%. When I open the throttle slightly, the AFR does change to 13.something, as expected. So the PCV and Autotune seem to be performing quite logically. The AFR reaching 16 at idle supports the theory that it is too lean with the throttle closed.

I could change my PCV to adjust the AFR to 13.5% below say 2000rpm and 0% throttle but I think that will have side-effects like increased fuel consumption, no idle when cold and perhaps less engine braking when shutting off. Not a good idea I think.

Anyone else seeing the same thing happening or any ideas/comments?

Attached Files:

20. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The cycling is what I would expect if the adaptions were reset and then the tables not rebuilt properly, disconnect the PCV5, reset and rebuild adaptions from cold to the fan cutting in and out at least twice as per the procedure, you will need a diags system like GS911 to fo it